• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Post-Mortem

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
True fact: mecha anime are the best anime.

Padding or not, don't underestimate just how epic a well crafted transformation sequence can be.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:27 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Okay, other than mecha (which I don't watch/care about) and magical girl?

Yeah, Best Transformation would be too specific to those two genres.

marie-antoinette wrote:
I can only think of one instance of a transformation scene being used for anything other than padding.

I can tell you that PMMM's transformation sequences are works of art. Also, each time a character transforms it is different to the one before, meaning the sequences aren't just used for simple padding.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:52 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I can tell you that PMMM's transformation sequences are works of art. Also, each time a character transforms it is different to the one before, meaning the sequences aren't just used for simple padding.

I think that's just your unabashed love for the series talking. I usually find transformation sequences annoying, and don't recall the ones in that series being special in that regard.

A music theme isn't going to happen here because then we'd have to move it to the music forum. A Best Opener/Closer might be feasible so long as the evaluation was at least as heavy on the visuals as on the song, but this gets discussed commonly enough in regular forum threads that I'm not sure if doing a tournament for it is worth it. (Although arguments about how well openers set the tone for a series or closers are used in conjunction with series content could be very interesting indeed. For instance, the closer for Now and Then, Here and There isn't all that special as a standalone but it is one of the best ever for how it works to cap each episode on a soothing note.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Okay, other than mecha (which I don't watch/care about) and magical girl?

So because you don't like them, they're automatically ruled out. Cool, bro.

But I do agree that transformations don't offer much variation. Besides, most magical girl transformations follow a very similar scheme. Cue music, magical background, get naked, focus on each of the new appearing clothes, usually with some cute body or hand movements, make magical move aaand pose!

But I can think of a couple of examples that are not magical girl or mecha that use transformation: Saint Seiya, Mawaru Penguindrum, and heck some transformations in Digimon can be pretty sophisticated, I particularly remember the DNA Evolutions in Adventure 2
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:40 am Reply with quote
I really like the idea of Best World-Building because I think it could bring about some very interesting and in-depth discussion and because it could bring to the table many shows I've never seen or heard of before. Smile I could see there being a lot of variety in the nominations, too. I think even a show with a normal, modern-day setting could theoretically be included depending on the criteria. I know several series that don't just go "Well, it's here and now so just go with what you already know" and use the setting in very creative and unique ways. Sometimes the setting is almost a character all on its own. I would suggest not ruling out series with normal settings for that reason, though I wouldn't be too upset if only fantasy/sci-fi and historical settings were allowed because it's true that those usually require more explanation.

My second favorite is Best Love Triangle, which I also think could encourage interesting discussion. Otherwise, I wouldn't be opposed to Best Mentor or Best Child Prodigy. BGM could be cool, but Key already ruled it out.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote
No love for zombified magical girl transformations?

CrowLia wrote:
But I do agree that transformations don't offer much variation. Besides, most magical girl transformations follow a very similar scheme. Cue music, magical background, get naked, focus on each of the new appearing clothes, usually with some cute body or hand movements, make magical move aaand pose!

I agree.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
A Best Opener/Closer might be feasible so long as the evaluation was at least as heavy on the visuals as on the song, but this gets discussed commonly enough in regular forum threads that I'm not sure if doing a tournament for it is worth it.

Yeah, there are so many best OPs out there and I know we have a best EP thread somewhere too. And that's where something like transformation sequences would belong too.

Of what has been discussed, I would be most interested in Best World-building, Best Fight/Action Sequence, and Best Love Triangle, though the last one is only because we don't have a third non-character related theme that seems particularly viable if BGM is off the table.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
What exactly is World-Building?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Establishing the setting so it's more than just a pretty backdrop.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:14 pm Reply with quote
So movies like 5 cm per second would basically have a high chance of winning if this ever happens?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I only ever saw part 1 so I can't say one way or another... Though it doesn't sound like the specific setting is that important. Think "Can the story be put into another setting and still work?"

Look at Academy City or Gargantia. The settings themselves serve as the basis for the story, with more information about each continually being explored. Academy City through info dumps, and Gargantia through Ledo's interactions with it, so of the two I think Gargantia's is stronger.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
So movies like 5 cm per second would basically have a high chance of winning if this ever happens?

No, it is visually beautiful, but it is not a world-building. Here is an article
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I see, World Building seems like it would be an awesome tournament. I am also in favor of doing Moe redux and Best love triangle .
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote
How about "Best Ending"? And by that I mean the ending to a series as a whole. Anime is kinda notorious for it's open endings that leave things unresolved, but the truely great conclusions deserve some recognition.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
putting aside feelings for the show itself, Horizon has some great insert songs that are used perfectly
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 74 of 76