• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paper: YouTube Views Appear to Raise TV Anime DVD Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Metanomaly wrote:
decepticons2 wrote:
Netflix also seems like a decent alternative.

Not if you prefer subtitles, unfortunately. I wish they'd remedy this, even with a separate title entry or something.

It shouldn't even take a separate entry now that the alternate audio and subtitle tracks feature has been implemented on not only the PC but PS3 (and presumably other platforms). Licensing would seem to be the only real hurdle that has yet to be jumped.
xanithofdragons

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I really do hope that this paper leads to even more research on this matter. A lot of people speak about these topics hypothetically, using what little evidence they can get from friends/acquaintances without actually knowing how most people use online streams/etc. official or not. If people in academics can actually go out and do research, maybe we can get to real discussion about these issues in real life situations and not hypotheticals.
Assassinx89

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I think there should be more sites like theanimenetwork.com, crunchyroll.com, Hulu.com, and this site. Honestly if someone isnt going to go out and buy the dvd to begin with you dont lose out on the sale. However if someone likes a show they have seen they are more likely to buy the dvd. I can see how Legal Streaming Sites would raise the volume of sales. Some people dont have the time to watch tv so let them watch it online. There really is not much difference from a tv or computer at least for the companies. However ilegal downloads I can not see the benefit and are exactly the same as buying a dvd from the trunk of some guys car. That is in no question pirating and that person also has a copy of the show/movie why would they buy it? The argument "well they will show it to their friends" is true but they are just going to download it from the same place their friend did instead of buying it. Why would they be different? Don't argue they will have better principles because everyone knows that is not true as much as you might want to think so. The friend that showed their friends the downloaded video probably was shown it by another of their friends. It is a never ending cycle!
Maigraith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Assassinx89 wrote:
The argument "well they will show it to their friends" is true but they are just going to download it from the same place their friend did instead of buying it.

Yeah...that's why I'm not a member of the anime club at my school, the president literally brought in an external hard drive filled with dozens of shows, he would show a couple episodes during the meeting and afterward would just copy them directly from the hard drive to someone's computer-_-
Metanomaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Metanomaly wrote:
decepticons2 wrote:
Netflix also seems like a decent alternative.

Not if you prefer subtitles, unfortunately. I wish they'd remedy this, even with a separate title entry or something.

It shouldn't even take a separate entry now that the alternate audio and subtitle tracks feature has been implemented on not only the PC but PS3 (and presumably other platforms). Licensing would seem to be the only real hurdle that has yet to be jumped.

Hm, really? I usually watch on AppleTV or my 360. I'll have to see if those options are available. It'd make those services a ton more useful to me in terms of anime.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Maigraith wrote:
Assassinx89 wrote:
The argument "well they will show it to their friends" is true but they are just going to download it from the same place their friend did instead of buying it.

Yeah...that's why I'm not a member of the anime club at my school, the president literally brought in an external hard drive filled with dozens of shows, he would show a couple episodes during the meeting and afterward would just copy them directly from the hard drive to someone's computer-_-

Thank god our president doesn't do this. Then again, he shows fansubs but buys them afterwards, which still kind of hurts but in the end, i'm ok with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
@Metanomaly: I'm pretty sure the alternate tracks are only on new additions to the library. On older titles, the option doesn't appear. I first noticed the subtitles option on the new Kids in the Hall entries -- perfect for deciphering those thick Canadian accents, eh? Razz
Metanomaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
@Metanomaly: I'm pretty sure the alternate tracks are only on new additions to the library. On older titles, the option doesn't appear. I first noticed the subtitles option on the new Kids in the Hall entries -- perfect for deciphering those thick Canadian accents, eh? Razz

That's so helpful! Thanks Netflix! Mad
Navak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Metanomaly wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
*mumbles something about causation and correlation*

Anyway, I'm really not sure how these statistics were found, since I'm not sure how there can be an equivalent control case to compare these shows to. I'd be interested in seeing just how these conclusions (and inconclusiveness) were reached.

Yeah, I'm somewhat curious about how they found this sort of thing out, too. The data gathering to do this with any sort of scientific/statistical rigor would be tricky.

In general, there isn't a need for a control case. However, there are titles involved that were not shared on Winny and a substantially larger portion which were not shared on Youtube. What he is examining here are trends. So basically, if there is a universal pirating effect about which to be worried, it would be detectable in the trend (assuming it is significant/blah blah blah caveats on data collection).

Also recall that the assumption is a negative effect which can lead to results which aren't significant given the confidence interval and level, but which are also not insignificant. Because one was expecting it to have a negative impact, even something within the confidence interval may not be insignificant if the result is positive or not as negative as expected.

There are obviously going to be limitations such as knowing whether or not one found all of the episodes or whether or not people were visiting expired videos which had yet to be removed etc... which are explicitly mentioned in the paper. Also quality levels, e.g. quality on Winny is higher than quality on Youtube, Youtube videos probably aren't going to be a person's DVD replacement and what not.

His overall goal, I think, was to examine the commonly held idea that something being pirated more, would lead to more lost sales and thus the industry needs to invest in copyright protection (DRM and everything else) development/enforcement to protect revenue streams. He uses the music industry in Japan as an example of an industry that "turtles" and thus misses a lot of opportunities versus something like iTunes which has moved away from strict copyright protection/DRM and gained a lot of success. So, moving to less protection was a beneficial move even though things are easier to pirate because the additional consumer involvement/business opportunities outweighs piracy gains.

So, I don't think the exact numbers for the effect is the big deal. I think his point is more that the industry, in general, passes on opportunities which would result in more revenue and invests in copyright enforcement in a way or at a level which provides little to no ROI even if enforcement costs weren't considered.
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean that people are more likely to seek out things if they are aware of their existence? Well I never!

The exposure of anime is pathetic without internet sources.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
This study seems to only be about Japanese viewers. Duplicate it in America and we might see a difference.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
It's worth noting that many of the streams on YouTube are legal, like Funimation's and Bandai Entertainment's channels. Much of the anime is coming from those sources.
decepticons2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I am a little curious. Its free for users to post content on youtube. Do companies have to pay a fee to maintain there channels? If not leads me to a couple questions/comments. I do wonder if hulu is different i see no real reason for funi to have there stuff on that evil site.

They used to air anime on TV i doubt that led to any real revenue. I doubt that american or candian cable companies bother to pay much for shows. So they were just airing to generate interest. If they have always worked on interest equals some sort of sale model. Internet only makes sense to some degree.

I think we can all agree the DVD bubble has burst. I know that the amount i bought when DVD's first came out were over 500. I know i buy way less now. It just seems silly to have some stuff i never even bothered taking out of the package let alone adding more. If companies had been trying this before the bubble had burst they might not be the stigma now.
Hectotane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I'd advocate for people within the anime creation industry to make more anime that's worth buying, for more people than the niche crowd.

But hey. \_Cool_/
comicozi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
all i can say is that if it wasnt for downloading... lets take anime for instance.... 95% of my collection (which is about 24 complete sets) would still be sitting on store shevles because i refuse to buy shows that i have know idea if ill like them or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5