• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paper: YouTube Views Appear to Raise TV Anime DVD Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
While it's true that legal streams do help people buy stuff, there are plenty of people who will illegally download anime and make the excuse that it's too expensive, Even if you sold anime for a penny, people would still come up with the excuse that it's too expensive.

I love legal streaming, but as a dub fan I feel I get jipped when it comes to legal streaming because they don't upload the entire dub streaming, but sub fans definitely get preferential treatment by getting full subbed legal streaming.
ironwarrior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I haven't posted on here in ages, but I saw this article mentioned on SankakuComplex and again mentioned here. To me, the results of this study are as blatantly obvious as a study proving water is wet.

During one of the last times I was on here (about 2 years ago), I coined a expression called "saturation market economics," wherein market saturation through fansubbing, pirating, various streaming forms, etc. creates awareness and therefore sales of anime and related merchandise. Of course, I was flamed liberally by the self-righteous, anti-fansubbing zealots. Needless to say, I find this current study at least a modest validation of my premise.

The obvious nature of this study can be related personally by some simple questions:
1) If I didn't know an anime existed, how could I even consider purchasing it?
2) Given my particular anime interests, why would I buy something "sight unseen" and based solely on another opinion?

The answers for me are "I can't," and "I won't."

Even though I've been watching anime since 1979 and still have many old VHS episodes, I didn't begin seriously engaging my hobby until 2005. Since then I have downloaded terabytes of fansubbed anime and love to brag that I've watched anime every day for 5 straight years and counting (much to the chagrin of my wife!).

I do not even remotely consider this a moral issue and chuckle at the "high-and-mighty" attitudes proclaiming some ethical and moral superiority, usually prefixed by "Downloading fansubs hurts the industry!"

Let's look as some personal economics and an individual anime instance (note: no assumption is made of the entire anime hobbyist collective).

From 1979-2005, I estimate I spent approximately $2000 in anime VHS, manga, and assorted materials, which is a paltry $77 a year. Since I have been downloading anime, I have spent approximately $1000 a year on anime and merchandise for an estimated total of $5000. This does not include attendance to anime conventions where I'm usually active in participating (martial arts demos) and buying ad space. Since 2006, counting hotel rooms, purchases, ads, donations, attendance fees, etc., I've spent an additional $4000.

The most salient point regarding spending around $9000 since 2005: I would have spent close to ZERO if not for fansubbing (broadcasts and DVDs). I could not spent money on anime I didn't know about and wouldn't unless I could view it at my leisure and make my own judgments. Also, if not for the various "pirated" sources, I wouldn't have the obsessive interest I have nor would I spend sizable amounts on this interest.

Of course, with current streaming technology, the anti-fansub zealot will proclaim I can view it through legal channels and then make a decision to purchase. Unfortunately, this model doesn't work well for me. I have to make a comparison to buying a physical book to an ebook--I want something I can "hold onto" and digest when the whim hits me. Often I've watched an anime I downloaded and despised it at first. I later came back months (or years) later, re-watched it and realized I liked. Sometimes, it takes two or more viewings. If I like it (and like it a lot), the credit card gets a workout.

As a final consideration, let me relate a personal anime instance: Claymore. This anime has cost me a lot of money (happily though!). I originally downloaded the broadcast episodes and was awestruck. When the DVD's were uploaded, I downloaded them. I've even downloaded the blu-rays. I'm so obsessed with this anime, I HAD to buy EVERYTHING! I like being able to watch the downloaded versions (I have a $2000 computer connected to 46" plasma TV), but I had to have the physical copies also--I want to touch them and feel Clare. I had the 2007 calender sent from Japan, and then paid another $70 to have it scanned at 24x36 just to gawk at. I've bought hundreds of dollars in merchandise! I wear my Claymore beanie constantly.

I have to thank the fansubbers for this. If not for their efforts, I would have never seen this anime; I would have never become enthralled by it; and finally, I would have NEVER spent a single penny to support it.

I'm assuming the flames will be Armageddon in nature, but I just thought I'd share this. Flame away! I'm comfortable with my $9000 and growing spending spree and comfortable with my downloading.
Pardon any typos.
Hisaca

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:40 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
While it's true that legal streams do help people buy stuff, there are plenty of people who will illegally download anime and make the excuse that it's too expensive.

The thing you have to remember is that poeple that will use this excuse would have never bought the anime in the first place. So if there was no torrents or streaming aval. then they just would not watch it they would just watch something else. The poeple that the streaming and torrents effect are poeple that are interested in shows but only buy what they like. If they are able to watch something that they wouldnt have normally seen and liked it then they could purchase it. I know I have never purchased any anime that I have not already watched because there is just so much out there I wont waste money on something just to check it out. Also renting is hardly worth it when its like 3-4 bucks to rent a disk and anime series are like 6 disks. Netflix would be ok if you used it often enough but my family pretty much uses it for a few movies and instant view. People that dont want to spend money wont do it no matter if they can stream it or download it or not. What the industry needs to do is find a way to get the shows out there so poeple that are willing to purchase it can see it and then buy it if they liked it. I would love to see data from a like funimation directly to see how there streaming shows do as far as dvd sales to see if they think it actaully helps them or not.
trandraskell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
ironwarrior wrote:
I haven't posted on here in ages, but I saw this article mentioned on SankakuComplex and again mentioned here. To me, the results of this study are as blatantly obvious as a study proving water is wet.

During one of the last times I was on here (about 2 years ago), I coined a expression called "saturation market economics," wherein market saturation through fansubbing, pirating, various streaming forms, etc. creates awareness and therefore sales of anime and related merchandise. Of course, I was flamed liberally by the self-righteous, anti-fansubbing zealots. Needless to say, I find this current study at least a modest validation of my premise.

The obvious nature of this study can be related personally by some simple questions:
2) Given my particular anime interests, why would I buy something "sight unseen" and based solely on another opinion?

Even though I've been watching anime since 1979 and still have many old VHS episodes, I didn't begin seriously engaging my hobby until 2005. Since then I have downloaded terabytes of fansubbed anime and love to brag that I've watched anime every day for 5 straight years and counting (much to the chagrin of my wife!).

I do not even remotely consider this a moral issue and chuckle at the "high-and-mighty" attitudes proclaiming some ethical and moral superiority, usually prefixed by "Downloading fansubs hurts the industry!"

Let's look as some personal economics and an individual anime instance (note: no assumption is made of the entire anime hobbyist collective).

From 1979-2005, I estimate I spent approximately $2000 in anime VHS, manga, and assorted materials, which is a paltry $77 a year. Since I have been downloading anime, I have spent approximately $1000 a year on anime and merchandise for an estimated total of $5000. This does not include attendance to anime conventions where I'm usually active in participating (martial arts demos) and buying ad space. Since 2006, counting hotel rooms, purchases, ads, donations, attendance fees, etc., I've spent an additional $4000.

The most salient point regarding spending around $9000 since 2005: I would have spent close to ZERO if not for fansubbing (broadcasts and DVDs). I could not spent money on anime I didn't know about and wouldn't unless I could view it at my leisure and make my own judgments. Also, if not for the various "pirated" sources, I wouldn't have the obsessive interest I have nor would I spend sizable amounts on this interest.

Of course, with current streaming technology, the anti-fansub zealot will proclaim I can view it through legal channels and then make a decision to purchase. Unfortunately, this model doesn't work well for me. I have to make a comparison to buying a physical book to an ebook--I want something I can "hold onto" and digest when the whim hits me. Often I've watched an anime I downloaded and despised it at first. I later came back months (or years) later, re-watched it and realized I liked. Sometimes, it takes two or more viewings. If I like it (and like it a lot), the credit card gets a workout.

As a final consideration, let me relate a personal anime instance: Claymore. This anime has cost me a lot of money (happily though!). I originally downloaded the broadcast episodes and was awestruck. When the DVD's were uploaded, I downloaded them. I've even downloaded the blu-rays. I'm so obsessed with this anime, I HAD to buy EVERYTHING! I like being able to watch the downloaded versions (I have a $2000 computer connected to 46" plasma TV), but I had to have the physical copies also--I want to touch them and feel Clare. I had the 2007 calender sent from Japan, and then paid another $70 to have it scanned at 24x36 just to gawk at. I've bought hundreds of dollars in merchandise! I wear my Claymore beanie constantly.

I have to thank the fansubbers for this. If not for their efforts, I would have never seen this anime; I would have never become enthralled by it; and finally, I would have NEVER spent a single penny to support it.

I'm assuming the flames will be Armageddon in nature, but I just thought I'd share this. Flame away! I'm comfortable with my $9000 and growing spending spree and comfortable with my downloading.
Pardon any typos.

I have been an anime fan since the 90's and I have so many series on VHS, both sub and dub, I have myself over 30,000 dollars in anime dvd/blu-ray,Gunpla figures, last year along I spent over 5,000 dollars in anime products, and I still download fansubs of shows that are not in the US a yet or no blu-ray release yet of shows like Gundam 00 (yes I am talking about you Bandai). For me I think the issue come down to people need to support anime as best they can, I know not everyone can afford to by every show and rightly so I believe if you like a show please support the show by getting thing like figures, OST or other things your interested, but for my fansub open my eye to a lot of new shows I would have never seen if they were not available. I do think this could be a step in the right direction and maybe we can see some more legal mean for anime fans to view their favorite show
Erilea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
This is really nice since most of us like to watch streaming animes. I actually do buy the animes I like after watching part of it online so I guess the reasearch is correct. I'm just surprised someone actually cared to study this.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I buy a lot of what I watch fansubbed but I have a personality that likes to spend money on stuff that I like. That's me though. I feel like if everyone had habits like me or if piracy really helped, the US industry would be at an all time high right now, which isn't the case at all.

Maybe in Japan this helps, although a 1% increase in piracy leading to a 0.08% increase in sales sounds like spurious correlation to me, but I don't think this has had any type of positive impact in the US. When I hear people saying that they'd never pay for anime ever or goto a convention and see someone interested in buying something but then a friend stops them and says, "I'll give you this on fansub," I don't see how that is possibly helping.
meruru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
I'd be less skeptical of these results if it turned out he normalized for the show's popularity. The article summary makes no mention of that, and even if the researcher had done that, showing that anime tend to have both more youtube views and more dvd purchases at the same time by no means prove that one causes the other, especially in Japan where you can sample the show on TV as it's airing, so why do they need a free stream for this purpose? Not that I even disagree with the idea that being able to have free samples first encourages purchases later since it certainly works on me, but I think this paper is hardly conclusive.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:43 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
I'd be less skeptical of these results if it turned out he normalized for the show's popularity. ...
Since the article is in Japanese, we "merely" need one of the many people proficient in Japanese, English, and Statistics to translate it for us ~ presumably with permission from the author.

I shudder to imagine what Babelfish would do to statistics research in Japanese.
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
While it's true that legal streams do help people buy stuff, there are plenty of people who will illegally download anime and make the excuse that it's too expensive, Even if you sold anime for a penny, people would still come up with the excuse that it's too expensive.

Yes, sir. These are the people that piss me off so much. "anime fans" my ass.

Though while I will admit that there are some shows that I would've have found out about due to fansubs, I went back and rewatched them via legal streams. Some people I know won't due this due to "not good enough quality" or "not accurate translations". It's sad they don't know that quality is a luxury, not a necessity. And that japanese doesn't accurute translate to english to begin with, so IDK what's with all the bitching they do.

I guess i'm just that person that says "do whatever it takes to support the industry", but hey, that's just me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Navak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:36 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
I'd be less skeptical of these results if it turned out he normalized for the show's popularity. The article summary makes no mention of that, and even if the researcher had done that, showing that anime tend to have both more youtube views and more dvd purchases at the same time by no means prove that one causes the other, especially in Japan where you can sample the show on TV as it's airing, so why do they need a free stream for this purpose? Not that I even disagree with the idea that being able to have free samples first encourages purchases later since it certainly works on me, but I think this paper is hardly conclusive.

Even if you don't know any Japanese, if you have some background in general methods you should be able to get a lot better sense of this as a lot of the labels in the tables and graphs are in English, or include English. I believe the formulas are also in English but I can post them here later if they aren't.

Again, it's not so much that the free streams/sharing (authorized or not) leads to more sales as the bigger picture of the cost of increased copyright protections/enforcement versus losses due to piracy/missed business opportunities/etc...

That is one of the reasons he urges companies to act as individuals, as the company positions are not identical so the best fit/balance for one is not the same for others.
loka

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:46 am Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
mglittlerobin wrote:

Yes, sir. These are the people that piss me off so much. "anime fans" my ass.

What is so hard about realizing that they are not lost sales i.e. not hurting the industry.

And don't say the ad income on streams, because the company didn't have to pay for the bandwidth of these individuals streaming it.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:12 am Reply with quote
ironwarrior wrote:
Of course, I was flamed liberally by the self-righteous, anti-fansubbing zealots. Needless to say, I find this current study at least a modest validation of my premise.

I was probably one of them.
This study doesn't support downloading the way I read it. The dowloading statistics were inconclusive, weren't they? I take that as in the margin of error all studies have. Remember
Quote:
A 1% increase in Winny downloads correlated with a statistically inconclusive 0.06% increase in DVD sales. However, an 1% increase in Winny downloads correlated with a 1.11% decrease in DVD rentals. According to Tanaka, these results indicate that Winny downloads are used as a substitute for DVD rentals, but not for DVD sales.

which puts fansubs in the negative camp.
Also remember--
Quote:
However, Tanaka emphasized that the paper expresses his own views and does not represent the views of RIETI.

Is this normal? I really can't recall too many studies released by universities getting that "opinions expressed in this dvd are the views of the individual speakers & not the view of [Funimation/Bandai/etc]" Was it an unbiased study group or a select group he had an idea would give him the results he wanted? Were the questions unbiased or biased? If they were unbiased, why is he taking the full brunt on himself vs presenting it as a valid study from an accredited university?
ironwarrior wrote:

But if you regularly haunt the usual anime websites such as this one & the other usual ones, you WOULD know the anime exists & if it has been licensed.
ironwarrior wrote:

How do you decide to see a movie in a theater since you haven't seen it first? I have no problem deciding which movies to see in the theater & which I'll wait to see on dvd.
ironwarrior wrote:

My husband used to brag his father refused to pay the asking price for some things such as Contact medicine & would just shoplift it. I don't think most see this as the reasonable response which is pay the asking price or do without.
ironwarrior wrote:
Even though I've been watching anime since 1979 and still have many old VHS episodes, I didn't begin seriously engaging my hobby until 2005.

I watched Astro, Kimba, Gigantor, & Speed Racer in the 60's but only got back into it when my daughter got into Pokemon in the 1990's, although I didn't start seriously collecting until after my husband died in 2001.
ironwarrior wrote:
Since then I have downloaded terabytes of fansubbed anime and love to brag that I've watched anime every day for 5 straight years and counting (much to the chagrin of my wife!).

I'm with your wife. I disliked my husband carrying on what he saw as a fond memory of his father by handing our daughter candy out of the bulk bin as a tribute the store owed the shopper for giving the store business. Smile
On the other hand, I have purchased 2500 dvds having never downloaded a single anime & I streamed one ep of Sgt Frog to hear the dub voices, but I'd been waiting for this one to be licensed since before ADV licensed it ages ago. The 3300 volumes of manga I possess were purchased "the old fashioned way" reading the blurb on the back, word-of-mouth, etc.
ironwarrior wrote:

I don't really want to think about how much I've paid...but if I had to estimate $4-$18 for manga I'll average at $7 for the bulk 2000 volumes ($14,000) & $8 for yaoi 1300 ($10,400).
Figures-$1700 on 23 Seiya dolls. Probably $2500 for all figures.
205 anime & JPop cds $3-$36 (plus the shipping from Japan) average $15-$3075 round up to $3200 to cover some of the shipping
Comic-con since 2002 for 2-god...at least $1000?
Do I have to estimate the anime? 2500 dvds...$2(2 used Jubei-chan)-$50 Bandai Visual Super Robot Wars...It's likely more like $20 per dvd, but I'll go a conservative $15-$37,500.
ironwarrior wrote:

So I've spent very probably over $45,600 since 2001. Do I win this little pissing contest?
ironwarrior wrote:
I want to touch them and feel Clare.
Shocked
I'm going to take a couple steps this way.
That sounds sort of creepy if you're referring to a character. I love Gemini Saga, but I'll settle for the doll on my shelf.
ironwarrior wrote:
I had the 2007 calender sent from Japan,

Damn! Forgot...calendars-Saiyuki, Kyo Kara Maoh, Gintama, Code Geass, Chrome Shelled Regios, Tsubasa, InuYasha, YuYu Hakusho, Shaman King, GetBackers, The Betrayal Knows My Name...say 20 at least
Posters, clear files, pencilboards $5-$10-at least 100 .
My beautiful artbook collection. $5-$75 a pop. (Have to have all the Salty Dogs from Minekura at $30-$40 each) 200. Not to mention magazine subscriptions-Newtype USA from the ground until it died, SHonen Jump USA & Shojo Beat. Japanese versions of Newtype, Animage subscribed to at Sanseido. Japanese comic zines like Zero-Sum, BeBoy, Japanese editions of Kuroshitsuji, etc...
ironwarrior wrote:
I wear my Claymore beanie constantly.
Oh yeah. purses(sorry "commuter bags" aren't they?). T-shirts. I really don't want to think about how much I have spent on anime, but you sit there moaning & groaning over your fricken $10,000 spent since 2005...
I figure some people buy ciggies or alcohol & I buy anime.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:27 am Reply with quote
Downloading was negatively correlated with renting, no significant correlation with DVD purchase (another way of saying that is that both positive and negative values lie within the confidence interval).

Illegal streaming on Youtube had no significant correlation with DVD purchase, and was negatively correlated with renting.

Edit: (shouldn't type on the run to work in the morning): Illegal streaming was positively correlated with DVD purchase and had no significant correlation with renting.

And the study was in Japan, so it has to be replicated in an international market to find out whether the results are replicated or are different in international markets.

In both cases it seems that bootlegs have a stronger impact on rentals than on sales ... if that effect is repeated in the US, that may explain why Netflix has been so sluggish in acquiring new DVD releases.

Last edited by agila61 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Fingers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:04 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
I really don't want to think about how much I have spent on anime, but you sit there moaning & groaning over your fricken $10,000 spent since 2005...

The point of that post was to explain that without the possibility of previewing the shows there would have not been a single dollar spent. There was no moaning and groaning. And there was no pissing contest - you turned it into one though with your reply.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Mr Fingers wrote:
The point of that post was to explain that without the possibility of previewing the shows there would have not been a single dollar spent. There was no moaning and groaning. And there was no pissing contest - you turned it into one though with your reply.

Ironwarrior's making the statement it would be impossible to purchase $10,000 worth of anime merchandise in 6 yrs without using fansubs. He even states he refuses to use streaming because he wants to be able to watch it later. He shoots in the foot the idea os using fansubs as a preview in that he even saves shows he dislikes to go back 5 years later to watch again & like them.
To put it in other terms, it'd be like he said he only eats food product he's tried, but he doesn't like the samples the stores give out, so he shoplifts all sorts of food so he can decide at his leisure if he likes it or not.
In particular, I found his idea of not knowing an anime existed to be naive or insane because he apparently does come to this site where it does stream anime & it does talk about titles before they even air in Japan so how can one not be aware of many. many titles?
I think enough of us manage to locate & purchase anime product thru legal means that his model isn't as idealic as he makes it out to be.
We're fans. The definition is we spend money on our hobby, be it American comics, sports cards, cars, guns, whatever. I would NEVER pay the prices people do for Super Bowl tickets. My daughter blew about $500 to fly to New York City to see Rammstein which I would never do. One of the DJ's I listen to commented he collects microphones-like historic ones & the like. He spends more on one mike than I've ever paid for any single anime product, but that is his passion. One of his co-workers sinks all his money into car parts (Scouts in particular).
So in perspective, as expensive as anime is(& it is cheaper than it was), we could all have far more expensive hobbies.
Not to mention, one can't exactly download microphones, car parts, & many collectible items so the whole fansub thing does skewer the issue. The closest collectible market with a similar issue might be autographs where the question of authenticity arises a lot over fake signatures.
Plus there is the issue of the wording of the survey. I know most polls have a range if error which we aren't told here. The numbers involved sound very small in general-1% is usually in the realm of error.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5