• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paper: YouTube Views Appear to Raise TV Anime DVD Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Tucker491 wrote:
I personally would prefer anime episodes to be offered same day as they are released in japan with the same quality subs as fansubs on official streaming sites, even if the video quality is so-so, BUT at the same time i would like the companies to offer DIGITAL downloads of the anime episodes FOR SALE same day episode is shown in japan.
So, basically, you would like international audiences to get more than Japanese audiences get while paying far less for the extra product,

I'd like high quality beer to be $3 a sixpack, but it aint gonna happen, because there's no sustainable business model that can make it happen.

If we keep pushing on international streaming distributors to push on the Japanese content owners to permit fan-contributed subtitles, in addition to the official simulcast subtitle and if the audience for legit streams keeps growing, so streaming royalties start to become a noticeable share of total income, I think we can hope for fan-contributed subtitles to be allowed as an option. The business model on the face of it seems compelling, since the fan-contributed subtitles would be a voluntary contribution ~ and at the same time the official subtitle is there at the time of the simulcast, so that the unreliability of volunteer groups as far as hitting deadlines and maintaining time and day security is not an issue.

Japanese paid downloads at the same time as Japanese volume releases is a tricky question in itself ~ what is the price point for the downloads where the combined surplus revenue over media production costs is greater than for physical media sales alone?

But simulcast downloads overseas in advance of Japanese physical media sales seems highly unlikely. If the download is at original production resolution, it seems like this would become the source of choice for the bootleg RAW distributions in Japan.

Mr Fingers wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
To put it in other terms, it'd be like he said he only eats food product he's tried, but he doesn't like the samples the stores give out, so he shoplifts all sorts of food so he can decide at his leisure if he likes it or not.

And there, by comparing a torrent or a Youtube stream to stolen food, is where your argument fails. The chocolate cake has to be baked, cooked, packed and shipped - every single unit. The Naruto shitpudding episode 345 on the other hand can be distributed without any extra cost for the producer. A stolen cake is a definite loss, a Youtube stream costs the producer nothing. Please stop that lame comparison.
The first copy, however, costs around $120,000 (at current exchange rates), and there is noone willing to pay $120,000 so that everyone else can get it free. That is why the question of whether the bootleg distribution supports or undermines the payment of money for a legit copy is a relevant research question in the first place.

Unless there is a business model where a sufficient number of people pay for enough things to generate enough income to the production committee to spend $120,000 on the first copy, there's no reason to expect anime to continue being produce.

If three crappy quality youtube bootleg clips per episode have no measurable impact on rentals and higher rates of viewing of Youtube bootlegs are correlated with higher rates of sales, then three crappy quality youtube bootleg clips per episode are probably not worthwhile chasing down.

Of course, the correlation is weaker when the series is on the air, and stronger when the series is off the air. Worse, the research did not consider ratings of episodes ~ I don't see any evidence of testing of the correlation between ratings and bootleg viewership for shows that are on the air, so there could be a multi-collinearity problem for series that are on the air. So the case is stronger for back catalog series than for simulcasts.

Whether higher quality legit streams combined with opportunities to directly market physical media are strong or weaker than the Youtube bootlegs at encouraging sales is a follow-up research question. If they are as or more effective as bootleg streams, then as long as the production committee is going to at least break even on the stream, they ought to approve it.

Downloads ~ certainly higher quality in terms of being a single media stream rather than chopped into three pieces, one presumes much higher video quality as well ~ lose the positive impact on sales and have a negative impact on rentals, hence on income derived from rentals, practically one for one. So they lose the status of being "self funding advertising", and have to make their case on their direct revenue prospects.

Last edited by agila61 on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Tucker491 wrote:
a young and poor HS student,

Yeah, & I'm a widow. In 2006 my daughter was also in HS & regualrly argued with friends who used the Poor Student argument. We all have cash issues, don't we?
Tucker491 wrote:

Viewing fan subs on these sites helped me gain a great deal of interest into anime, as i didn't have to fork over 20bucks for a 3episode dvd with "dub" anime which more frequently than not had horrible dubs, and did not offer subs with Japanese audio which i prefer.

Wait...in 2006 hybrid (dual audio & subtitles) dvds were the NORM. People complained bitterly about the handful of releases that lacked Japanese tracks or had dubtitles like Tactics. The only stuff that regularly lacked Japanese was the stuff aimed specifically at the juvenile market like Pokemon or YuGiOh.
By then most of the really horrid dubs were a thing of the past & since the majority of dvds were hybrid, it didn't matter because one had the option of watching almost everything in Japanese with the subtitles up.
Tucker491 wrote:

Also since i live in the US, most of the animes being uploaded and streamed on those sites were not being aired on US tv, or offered on DVD yet or at all.

I never really got this argument, because there have always been quite a bit of completely worthy titles licensed in the US one could watch. Hellsing TV, Fushigi Yugi, El Hazard, CardCaptor Sakura (released sub only on dvd), Martian Successor Nadesico, Blue Seed, Soul Hunter & many, many titles were available by 2006.
Tucker491 wrote:
So because of these fan subs i learned about anime, gained an interest in it, and learned to pick and choose what was worth my time and what was not.

...wait...
Cartoon Network by 2006 had quite a bit of anime-InuYasha, the old Gundam, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Tenchi, DB/Z, YuYu Hakusho. I forget when Big O joined the mix. Naruto. Lupin. There was Robo week where they played eps from various titles like Nadesico.
Tucker491 wrote:

A BIG part of me enjoying fansubs over the LEGAL copies offered by the companies is the QUALITY put behind the fansub groups work compared to the companies work.

http://www.figure.fm/post/en/3075/When+Anime+Fansubs+Went+WRONG.html
I've sat in on the translation panel at Comic-Con more than once & listened to the translators discuss agonizing over translation, running right up to their deadlines. Anyone who speaks a second language knows translation is more art than science. Many words do not have a single meaning, thus the translator has to figure out which take on the word is meant by the usage.
Tucker491 wrote:

I read on here an earlier poster who said quality translations are a luxury and not a necessity, but i disagree. I enjoy fansubs more than official subs simply for that fact that fan subbers put more work into translating Japanese into an English that makes sense to the viewers.

In what universe does that make sense? Many of these groups are fighting to get their bit up first. You will never convince me that someone getting a translation up in hours after the show airs is doing an accurate job.
Tucker491 wrote:

I am not saying official subbers don't translate well, but they tend to stick to STRICT grammatical English rules when they translate, and when read by viewers the subs seem out of place at times.

So you're complaining about the use of proper English? The idea is when people use the proer form of the language, it can be understood by wider number of people.
Some internet posters are nigh on incomprehensible. Why play to that audience? They will mostly comprehend coherent speech.
Tucker491 wrote:

Also fan subs provide little things that to MANY of you "hardcore" fans may see as insignificant, such as subs/lyrics to the intro/end song, different fonts/colors for subs to help viewers read subs more clearly than the standard white/yellow fonts used by official subs, and subs on top of objects in anime that are written in Japanese so that the viewer can understand what a sign, letter, newspaper, etc in anime are saying. These are all SMALL things, but to many people these things make the difference when choosing between watching official vids and fansub vids.

I am currently watching Gundam 00 Season 2 (episode 19 specifically). There are green subs on the screen over the closing credits while the show had yellow. Section 23 has used blue & white to my memory on Gintama. Most of the companies translate the lyrics to songs. A few don't. ADV/Section 23 usually runs one ep with the Japanese, then the next set of opening & closing songs will be in English.
Tucker491 wrote:

Now fansubbers do all this "extra" work for FREE and produce a far superior product than the "professionals" being paid to do the same job.

My only real experience with fansubs is manga scans for Black Butler. Before Yen licensed it, I had bought the Japanese volumes, so I did use One Manga to see what the book was about. I will tell you what Yen is putting out is a far superior work. They pick up the subtle bits the fan translators missed which make this work so intersting.
DO NOT assume labor of love=superior skills.

You start the next bit out "In my opinion" & that what it is-you opinion. Yes, times are changing. When I was a little girl, we had records. Cable was non-existant & we had basically 3 channels. I was a teen when the whole Disney/Betamax case was going on & in my 20's when VCR's started infiltrating people's homes. I paid about $500 for my first cd component to add to my stereo in the mid-80's.
Yes, times change, but you seem to discount that these things you want to consume are created by people who really deserve to be paid for their efforts.
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:04 am Reply with quote
I figured I'd interject a slight side-point that might be relevant to the discussion:

It's actually possible to make money off of unauthorized streaming of copyrighted videos on Youtube. As this Wired article points out, Youtube's Content ID system allows the rights-holder to collect a percentage of ad revenue on showings of their stuff, legally authorized or not.

In other words, you could make a decent chunk of money just by spamming your anime episodes all over Youtube and wracking up the view count. Some of the partners in it are making millions off of it.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:54 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
@Tucker491

Sadly most people in this forum will label as a criminal and they will try to brainwash to accept ever less quality for prices as high as they can get away with even though your represent the average consumer.

except Tucker491 isn't a consumer, in fact most of his information is incorrect, such as his complaint that by 2006 most anime was dub only, when it was mostly phased out by then. I already pointed out that official subs are easier to read because the color is chosen to be readable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5