• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ok to love lolis? I think so.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
That's part of the problem; pedophilia has such a knee-jerk reaction in western society that it's rare to find a rational discussion about it. The minute you bring it up people tend to lose all rational thought and start a moral crusade, even though it's not illegal (it's acting upon those desires that's illegal, which a lot of people seem to forget) Which means sadly a lot of pedophiles can't talk about it with family or a psychiatrist because of this, because society will be so quick to shun them or demonize them.

I imagine it's partly as Parse Error described. I also think there's this primitive peer pressure mentality of 'if you're not completely outraged over this, then you either are one or you support it".
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been keeping up with this thread at all. But I've got a report here saying that the topic is starting derail from lolis in anime to pedophilia in America.

Should I clean it up from when it started to derail, or are the rest of you so tired of actually talking about lolis in a civilized manner that you want this locked and done with?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:07 am Reply with quote
It was pertinent to the topic at hand. We were comparing how depictions of children in anime are not so different from how some American media depict them. Some people may look down upon lolicon shows and wonder what's wrong with Japan, but America is guilty of some of the same things too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:27 am Reply with quote
I can't say that I am completely comfortable with them being referred to as lolicon anime, as in my opinion that is seedier. Kind of like the difference between ecchi and hentai, and I am not exactly up for a discussion like that.

But I guess at the same time, this site has lolicon as a genre, with the search bringing up a number of titles we have mentioned, and probably more that we should have mentioned. Like how cute was Hina in PapaKiki, and also heartbreaking. I was not exactly okay with the lolicon character in that show.

But also the genre leaves out titles like Ichigo Mashimaro, which is also the sort of thing we mean with loli.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:50 am Reply with quote
Yea most of this thread has been a very rational and intellectual discussion directly related to the OP question, i.e. what is the state of affairs of loli anime. As the person above stated, there have been several references to American TV, mainly to compare anime loli vs. "American loli," due in part to a question of whether or not the whole loli concept was somehow specific to Japan. There may be a few people who are straying off that into more sensitive areas, but that's been pretty limited.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:37 am Reply with quote
Okay, then. If there are any particular posts that come up and start to stray the thread off course, please report them, and I'll see what I can do to mitigate any escalating uneasiness.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, please don't lock this thread yet, it has been interesting to read the discussion so far.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:48 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
But I guess at the same time, this site has lolicon as a genre, with the search bringing up a number of titles we have mentioned, and probably more that we should have mentioned. Like how cute was Hina in PapaKiki, and also heartbreaking. I was not exactly okay with the lolicon character in that show.

Papakiki is kind of an interesting case. While Sako is portrayed as harmless, the other characters don't tolerate his behaviour and often punish him for it.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Papakiki is kind of an interesting case. While Sako is portrayed as harmless, the other characters don't tolerate his behaviour and often punish him for it.

Although this is true, I have read by most commenters who talk about him that he is just kind of smacked a bit with "paper fans" or something, or maybe hit over the head with generic harmless tsundere attacks. Essentially, he is kind of like the loveable weirdo who everyone still hangs out with and likes, but just smack him on the head now and then. I'm not really sure that this sends a message of him being unacceptable to the rest of them.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Although this is true, I have read by most commenters who talk about him that he is just kind of smacked a bit with "paper fans" or something, or maybe hit over the head with generic harmless tsundere attacks. Essentially, he is kind of like the loveable weirdo who everyone still hangs out with and likes, but just smack him on the head now and then. I'm not really sure that this sends a message of him being unacceptable to the rest of them.

The main character tries to keep their existence a secret, and I am pretty sure he took care to avoid him coming into contact with them. Would non-harmless attacks be a proper response?

Although at the same time, Raika looked like she enjoyed some lolis too. She liked the cuteness, I don't think creepy.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Raika has a cuteness proximity to anything cute, doesn't have to be little girls. Sako most likely doesn't have pure intentions. When Sako gets too creepy, which is far too often, Raika does indeed smack him pretty hard with a giant paper harisen, and others forms of punishment. doesn't seem to work though as he kinda seems to enjoy being punished. Sora clearly hates him , Miu thinks he's a funny guy and Hina is 3.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

But when Raika smacks you with a fan, you get a lots of lumps and maybe a little bloodied.

Still, there's a part where Yuuta specifically notes that he has to keep the girls away from Sako at all costs.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

The main character tries to keep their existence a secret, and I am pretty sure he took care to avoid him coming into contact with them. Would non-harmless attacks be a proper response?

Although at the same time, Raika looked like she enjoyed some lolis too. She liked the cuteness, I don't think creepy.

I am not advocating violence, but it just seems like they're slapping him on the wrist for sticking his hand in the cookie jar like some good child who's occasionally naughty, but no big deal. My main point is that some people are saying that that shows he is disapproved of, but it doesn't really show real disapproval of him as a person/character when they're just treating him like "Ohh, you've been a bad boy, but it's ok we still love ya."
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Eh, it's more like they're stuck with him because he's the president and his resources are quite useful. He may only get slaps on the wrists, but they stop him before he does anything too unforgivable. If he had ever crossed the line I'm sure there would be hell to pay.

So far as anime goes, I can't think of a single case where the lolicon character is treated as an outstanding person, or he actually ends up with a young girl. I'd say if any message is usually being given, it's "you can look but don't touch."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
So far as anime goes, I can't think of a single case where the lolicon character is treated as an outstanding person, or he actually ends up with a young girl. I'd say if any message is usually being given, it's "you can look but don't touch."

What straight comes to mind is Excel Saga. The lolicon character is shown quite often with a young girl, and not really treated like an enemy. Then there is the last episode, well it was reversed in a way.

Then I think of Konata's father from Lucky Star, and feel a little sad for him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12