• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Kindle Offers Platform for Fan Fiction Sales

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
So... now you get to buy fan fictions? You know as inviting as It sounds to get paid to write fanfics, I don't see this ending well or lasting that long...
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
so my bl fan fic about zac and fencedude can finally make money?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
So... now you get to buy fan fictions? You know as inviting as It sounds to get paid to write fanfics, I don't see this ending well or lasting that long...

Not much fan fiction that you can write with those rules.

Quote:

Illegal and Infringing Content: We take violations of laws and proprietary rights very seriously. It is the authors' responsibility to ensure that their content doesn't violate laws or copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other rights.

Poor Customer Experience: We don't accept books that provide a poor customer experience. Examples include poorly formatted books and books with misleading titles, cover art, or product descriptions. We reserve the right to determine whether content provides a poor customer experience.

Excessive Use of Brands: We don't accept the excessive use of brand names or the inclusion of brand names for paid advertising or promotion.

Crossover: No crossovers from other Worlds are permitted, meaning your work may not include elements of any copyright-protected book, movie, or other property outside of the elements of this World.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
I would totally sell some when the anime/manga market starts to enter this deal.

I can kind of see a market from this. Amazon doesn't lose much, if any money (might even gain some) from doing this, and I know I might pay to download some well-written fanfictions if I was on the go and on a plane and I had my Kindle.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:33 am Reply with quote
It's a start. At least there's copyright-holders out there willing to sign off..........

(I've known a few anime fans who got their own (not fanfic) works published. Of course, they have to bend some stuff around to avoid complications from their inspirations, though they still kept some homages.)
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote
I read this on Bleeding Cool last night, seems like a hilariously bad idea to me, anyone who's daft enough to pay money to read another persons fan-fic, well lets just say I feel sorry for that person. And with the properties they have atm, I don't see this little experiment/project lasting long or being very successful even if they do expand the list.

Monotizing fan fics, how silly is that.

They just want a cheap way to get more stories of popular properties to sale.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:36 am Reply with quote
Woah this is an awful idea. I will never pay a cent towards fanfiction.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote
I answered someone on twitter about this whom I thought was making some of these points when they said that this is not "real" fanfic ... but it turned out they just didn't understand that the "original work" in the press release described the original material that the fanfic was based on, not the fanfic itself.

Its just a way for the authors of the material to monetize the most popular fanfic is they want to. And for Amazon to increase the range of material it has a monopoly on.
iatheia

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:53 am Reply with quote
I don't know how to feel about it. Can't really see it going too far, as 1) the amount of series Amazon could secure licences probably wouldn't end up being terribly big, just the biggest, most mainstream ones. 2) These guidelines really do limit works that could be submitted, particularly "Poor Customer Experience". Who exactly is going to be a judge of these things? 3) How much do they intend to charge for something like this? Can't see it being too profitable in the end.

But, well, there are already programs that allow you to download fanfics in ereader compatible format from various websites with a few easy clicks. So this isn't terribly revolutionary.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote
Nobody will be stupid enough to sell their fic to amazon. They aren't gonna get compensated for it anyway. Laughing
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
So some one can sell there fan fiction now wait no filthy stuff
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Nobody will be stupid enough to sell their fic to amazon. They aren't gonna get compensated for it anyway. Laughing

The terms are low ... but how much are they getting compensated for their fanfic now? I'd have thought "little" is a bigger number than "none".

This is the best coverage of the move, by far: "Amazon to monetize fan fiction, he moaned" (&w/Vampire)
LuScr

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be interesting to see which and how many fandoms Amazon manages to license. Honestly, though, I can't see this lasting very long--if not for the practical barriers (both on Amazon's side and the prospective fic authors') then for the increasing likelihood, with each active fandom licensed, of a repeat of the Marion Zimmer Bradley incident.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Actually, it would seem they've already accounted for that - part of the agreement gives the original rightsholder permission to use your original elements without any compensation(see agila61's link).
egoist

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
How kind of them!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2