• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Downloaded Sora no Otoshimono Copy Shown at Funimation Studio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kakugo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
There's no sensible analogy between them and a random downloader.

I agree, it's not a sensible analogy.

But if you don't see the irony (and thus comedy) of FUNi downloading - and using, in an official capacity - the very same rips they beg their fanbase not to use... well, then your sense of humor is very different from my own.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
sweaterpuppies wrote:
"Downloading a japanese workraw is too much effort guys. Let's download those HS guys stuff, it's so easy and convenient. Sure wish we could get our materials like that. P.S. this font style is so coal bro's."
You have just been trolled by Funimation.

P.P.S. Did demonizing fansubs and the fansubbers themselves a few years back get rid of them or lower the amount of fansubs present? Good job bro's. Fight the good fight by doing absolutely nothing at all. Declaring IP is an inherent right, root for those organizations lobbying that copyright should extend even further (never end), and hail the great ideas stifled by novel ideas like software patents.

What novel ideas are you talking about? Why do you think that the people who are calling for the end of copyright are fans and not people who are creators?

If this whole creative revolution is going to happen without copyright than why is Sweden's greatest contribution to humanity bad furniture and a tv show created by a british man? Why isn't this creative revolution happening in China?

Oh right the orange gundam thing
tyranuus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:35 am Reply with quote
It's kinda amusing in a 'the big studios obviously use other methods/sources as reference' kinda way, but like a lot of people have said, for the main part big deal.
[I get the whole point made on fonts earlier, but, well...I doubt they ever intended to broadcast them watching that or showing a font they don't have licensed for publication, and they may have a license for viewing it included with something else, either way most people bar the license holders dont care much about fonts even if it is slightly hypocritical]

What I find more amusing however though, is that the unofficial sub makes the official sub look completely over simplified Very Happy
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:55 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
As long as you don't free ride off of the social benefits that come from the rule of law, fine. Stay off the road, don't listen or watch media over regulated broadcast or cable media, stay off the internet ~ for starters.

Nonsense. Roads existed and were built before governments built them. Broadcast and cable media would be possible without the state, and the internet is mostly private even if a very small portion of it's inception was due to government funding of a military network.

The "rule of law" exists not because of the state but in spite of the state.

Quote:
In a constitutional democracy, real laws are laws that are passed by the elected representatives under the rules set down in the constitution that abide by the limits of jurisdiction set down in the constitution.

This is a flawed appeal to some old document that has hardly proven itself worthy in any fashion. It has hardly restricted or limited the state.
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/No_Treason/2
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:09 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

Nonsense. Roads existed and were built before governments built them. Broadcast and cable media would be possible without the state, and the internet is mostly private even if a very small portion of it's inception was due to government funding of a military network.

The "rule of law" exists not because of the state but in spite of the state.

Except that private individuals would likely lack the forsight, funds or ability to effect things on a level other than their own immediate use, which is why some form of government organization is necessary to enact such things. And handwaving the impact the government had in the birth of the internet is pretty dismissive of its impact since it contradicts your stance. And as long as laws are enforced by some form of committee, government will always exist.

Quote:

This is a flawed appeal to some old document that has hardly proven itself worthy in any fashion. It has hardly restricted or limited the state.
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/No_Treason/2

Wow....Just wow...

In a government like ours, the voting populace dictates the strength or weakness of its ruling body, unlike totalitarian setups and the likes which posses absolute authority. Now of course no form of government is immune to corruption, but no government is perfect either. But trying to say that government should either exist to cater to singular individuals or not at all is the height of lunacy.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Use those roads. Use those broadcast and cable media that are not using spectrum or franchise territories allocated by government, and are not relying on government enforcement of private contracts in obtaining content and maintaining the access to the resource they require to continue operating.

Only use that part of the internet that is powered and maintained on a voluntary basis, without reliance on those ISP's and network nodes operated by companies that themselves rely on private contracts with standing in courts of law.

And when you get to this site entirely via that entirely voluntary internet, making no free riding on the respect of the rule of law by others that you argue should be a voluntary matter for you, then make your pitch.
sweaterpuppies

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Xanas wrote:
Use those roads. Use those broadcast and cable media that are not using spectrum or franchise territories allocated by government, and are not relying on government enforcement of private contracts in obtaining content and maintaining the access to the resource they require to continue operating.

Only use that part of the internet that is powered and maintained on a voluntary basis, without reliance on those ISP's and network nodes operated by companies that themselves rely on private contracts with standing in courts of law.

And when you get to this site entirely via that entirely voluntary internet, making no free riding on the respect of the rule of law by others that you argue should be a voluntary matter for you, then make your pitch.

Pretty elitist bro. Were you planning on swaying someone with this awesome rhetoric? I can see them flocking to you now...no wait, I see them continue to use the roads, the internet, and pirating your shit.

Wow if we only had more amazing speakers like you I'm sure everyone would come to understand what's going on.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
You expect everything to be given to you for free. You expect someone to pay for the roads, you expect someone to pay for your anime, you expect free rides for your entire life.

That's not happening, that's why anime is in the shape it's in even though its still relatively popular.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
You expect everything to be given to you for free. You expect someone to pay for the roads, you expect someone to pay for your anime, you expect free rides for your entire life.

That's not happening, that's why anime is in the shape it's in even though its still relatively popular.

I agree, this elitism crap is starting to get on my nerves. Its one thing for these people to say copyright laws are wrong, but completely different if they were creators themselves. I don't know a single author, or director or animator or any artist at all who would condone that sort of act.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:28 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
I don't know a single author, or director or animator or any artist at all who would condone that sort of act.

Hi, my name is Robert and I'm an artist. Not only do I condone my works be freely distributed around the globe, I encourage it. Hell, I'll even deliver the source material via email if you so wish to have it. This includes all layout, code, and, in some cases, the data to which makes my websites function.

I condone this action because, unlike some selfish artists out there, my knowledge was formed from the works of others. Everything I learned came at the expense of someone else. I earn a living by seeking out those who want to purchase my skills, not my works. They want me to create a work specifically for them.

This is called a premium, and it sells itself because my content advertises my skills.

I do not rely on products to earn a living, because I know how fickle customers are. Today, they'll be rushing out to buy the latest furry talking toy, but tomorrow they'll find something new and shiny to buy, leaving those companies banking on the fad left holding unsold inventory.

I know my way of thinking isn't shared by many artists out there, especially those who call the internet "vile" and fail to understand the definition of value, but this is not my problem.

Nor should it be yours, your neighbors, or the person who's downloading the next episode of anime we all enjoy.

This responsibility belongs solely to the business, many of which would rather try to sue VCRs out of existence, only to turn decades later and beg governments around the world to protect a model which wouldn't have existed had they won their case in the first place.

In all my years of people sharing my code, my works, and my data, never once have I felt no opportunity to make money. There will always be a way to earn a living. Some more difficult than others, obviously, but don't forget my choice is unique.

I chose to earn my salary by retaining 100% of my copyrights so people will never, ever have to worry about me suing them, even if they're selling those works. If I gave this to a publisher or distributor, I will be the villain should these business sue the very fans I'm trying to reach out to.

In addition to this, some of my salary is used to retain a lawyer because these same companies will also try to sue me, my customers, or anyone else who comes up with similar ideas. It gets worse when those ideas are not only covered by copyright, but patents as well.

There's a problem regarding the sharing of content, but rest assured it is not of those seeking the value they placed in the latest chapter, song, episode, or volume of the content produced by someone else. The problem is not of those who see something created by another, and builds upon it, and distributes the new creative work. The problem is the law itself.

I create to give reason for fans to seek so why in the hell would I want to punish someone who enjoys my works at no charge.

Copyright is abusive, restrictive, and absolutely horrid to my rights as an artist. I don't even have the luxury to guarantee my fans against a lawsuit because there is no way to opt-out of copyright. Word of mouth is not a guarantee, and I sure as hell can't sign a contract with every human on the planet.

To think people want this piece of shit called copyright modified to make violations a felony is appalling and easily separates out those who want to control a market vs. those who want to work within it. In my opinion, these people are misinformed and misguided because they've worked with one rule for so long, no others can exist for them.

As both an artist and a customer, I am sick and tired of my rights being stripped because the Walt Disney Company, as well as other companies, wants to retain a copyright on a cartoon mouse or can't stand seeing people sharing a movie they've locked up to the point customers can no longer purchase a DVD of the show they like.

It gives me great pleasure to ruin your statement at not knowing an artist who condones the action of content sharing.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
...... are you secretly Nina Paley? Anyhoo, kidding aside...

Look, it's your choice to distribute your work freely [out of curiousity, do you have a link? This is the first time I've seen you mention it, and there's no link on your profile], but it should be up to the individual artist to make that choice, and to choose how their art is used. There's also lots of artists who make their work available online, but they still want to ensure their work is protected, and copyright does that for them, giving them an option when another site is copying their work. I've been making comics for 10 years [just finished 7 years of my webcomic, voted in the Eisners for about 5 years, and am now going over my options of what I want to do next], and am grateful my work is protected.

I know a lot of artists through my experiences comicking, some amateur some professional, and none are fans of getting their work ripped off. I think it's really irresponsible of you to speak for all artists. Copyright laws let artists make their own choices, whether they're running their own business, posting their art for free on DeviantArt, working for a giant corportion or midsized publisher or whatever. They let you do what you want, and let me do what I want, and let us make our own choices, whatever they may be. It's not like they're stopping you from giving away your content for free, and letting anyone do whatever they want with it. You're free to do what you want, but it doesn't make it right to promote others works being used in ways they don't want them to be.

Last edited by Paploo on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Jello: If I make something, I expect no one else to benefit off of it. That's what copyright does. You wanna make money off of stuff I spent years making and crafting? You better pay for the right to use it. Otherwise, I'll sue your ass into destitute poverty.

People have a right to what they own. They have the right to say that others cant use it. They spent time of their lives using their creativity to make something, why should they not have the sole right to make money off of it?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Once again we've descended into the Copyright Carnival Funhouse with PJ and Xanas.

Don't you guys ever get tired of this?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not exactly a frequent visitor here. Has this kinda thing happened in the past?
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I'm not exactly a frequent visitor here. Has this kinda thing happened in the past?

Nope. But take it from someone who frequently downloads fansubs... this is meaningless crap.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10