• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Downloaded Sora no Otoshimono Copy Shown at Funimation Studio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:

Anyhoo, the film and music industry tried to make the same claim... that piracy was responsible for their lagging sales. Of course, that claim has repeatedly been proven false, but that doesn't stop them from using the same old song and dance. Funimation is playing the same game, using fansubbers as a scapegoat to cover their own asses. But tell me, if the situation is really so dire, how is Crunchyroll doing so well? Possibly because they're offering a superior product (HD streaming) as compared to Funimation's undeniably substandard streaming efforts?

Nobody cares that Funi is using HorribleSubs rips. What we DO care about is their constant whining about how piracy is "killing the industry." We know that's a lie, Funi. Stop making excuses and adapt your business model to a post-piracy environment like Crunchyroll did. The only way to beat the fansubbers is to offer a better product than them.

Just because economist say so doesn't always mean it's true. Piracy is killing the industry, anime and otherwise Funimation is not in the streaming business like CR so, so streaming at the moment is not a priority for them. Will they have to change eventually? Yes they will, and have to put more into their streaming service.

Quote:
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I say ANN is a joke. Posting here gets you trapped between the mods and their sycophants.

You trapped if you try and start a flame war, or just start attacking others. ANN is still one of the best sites out there for information on anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gamen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
equanxx wrote:
If anyone is interested in some case law you should check out Anderson v. Stallone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_v._Stallone)

Sylvester Stallone was basically able to take a script some guy had written for Rocky 4 and use it to make the movie, since Stallone hadn't authorized him to write it. Fun stuff

Humourously, that case is a lot more contentious than this. After all, Funi has licensed the show, and the license probably includes rights to existing translations, unauthorized or not. Translations are definitively derivative works as well. But the Stallone case concerns a new work inspired by a previous work. The script's status as a derivative work is dubious at best, whatever the judge's ruling. Ideas are not copyrightable, after all: Those are patents. And characters, names, descriptions (not verbatim)? Trademarks.

But I'm a fanfiction rights advocate, so I'm not without bias. The case law is definitely in favor of original works using other's characters and settings being considered derivative works.
zaeris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:14 am Reply with quote
Gamen wrote:

Edit: And reading Tempest's post in the other thread, I'm guessing my original question has been answered. And that CR does license its offerings now.

From my point of view it's not the fact that CR is licensing any translation since the IP of the translation belong to the animation studio/production committee etctera. Translation would just be a job for hire but rights to own and distribute those translation are not with CR.
kantori

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:
And this is why ANN is a joke. The staff (including the CEO himself) are quick to rush to Funimation's defense when this kind of hypocrisy comes to light. You continually condemn the fansubbers as self-absorbed, immature adolescents who pirate "for the lulz." You don't even make the slightest attempt to understand fansubber culture, instead painting them with broad, stereotypical strokes that help you maintain your veneer of self-important superiority. And why does ANN take such a black-and-white moralistic approach, always supporting Funimation and demonizing the fansubbers? Well, guess who pays for the advertising on this site...

You claim to be "the internet's most trusted anime news source." The sheer unprovability of that claim aside, I'm reminded of another news network that claims to be "fair and balanced."

Pretty late for a reply to this quote as I'm in agreement with, I find it fascinating seeing some anime topics of titles that are not in the states nor released either by streaming readily available to talk about on ANN. I'm sure 99% of those admittedly talking about Madoka watched it by "legal means" so quickly lolz

Demonizing the fansubbers what happened to that! And Zac's post was all too FUNi, good for some laughs and pointed out hypocrisy, good times.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
kantori wrote:

Pretty late for a reply to this quote as I'm in agreement with, I find it fascinating seeing some anime topics of titles that are not in the states nor released either by streaming readily available to talk about on ANN. I'm sure 99% of those admittedly talking about Madoka watched it by "legal means" lolz.

Demonizing the fansubbers what happened to that! And Zac's post was all too FUNi, good for some laughs and pointed out hypocrisy, good times.

Funi is not hypocritical. It clearly says in the article that they sometimes use fansubs if there is a delay with getting the legal means. They have the right to license the show in this Region so they are doing nothing wrong at ALL.

Second, as I said before Zac (not trying to put words in his mouth) was referring to people who use fansubs despite the fact that there is a legal option for them. We all understand that some people don't have a choice if there is no legal option and that is fine because of their situation.

Clearly some people can't change their mind even with the facts right in front of them so I think for the most part I am done with this conversation. I don't need anymore stress, don't want my problem to start again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gamen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
zaeris wrote:
Gamen wrote:

Edit: And reading Tempest's post in the other thread, I'm guessing my original question has been answered. And that CR does license its offerings now.

From my point of view it's not the fact that CR is licensing any translation since the IP of the translation belong to the animation studio/production committee etctera. Translation would just be a job for hire but rights to own and distribute those translation are not with CR.

And you're probably completely incorrect. Unless CR is licensing the translation from a third-party, or the production committee is commissioning the translation from CR, instead of CR commissioning it or doing them in-house, they are the copyright owners of the translated script. The terms of the license agreement between CR and the committee would dictate how CR could distribute the translation, and likely gives the committee rights to both use and redistribute the translation, but CR would still be its copyright holder.

Edit: I'll grant that if the terms of the license are particularly unfair towards CR they'd effectively not be the copyright holder.

Last edited by Gamen on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:34 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well if Funi didn't sit on there show for a year or 2 maybe it wouldnt be a problem

Yes it would. The file in question was ripped off a simulcast - i.e. not more than a week or two after Japanese broadcast. Since the group in question has the stated goal of "p****** off Crunchyroll" they would still rip it even if DVDs were out in stores the week after.

The King of Harts wrote:
The only thing that I find especially strange about this whole thing is that they were using subtitled videos in dubbing. How is that not annoying for the actors? And I'm not talking about the subs being on the screen since they can be turned off, I'm talking about having to wait until they put the line back up during each retake. It'd be easier to either look down at the physical script or look over to the other monitor.

They aren't reading the subtitles off the video as the script isn't the same (FUNimation's own subtitle script isn't even the same as CR's).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
kantori

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
Funi is not hypocritical. It clearly says in the article that they sometimes use fansubs if there is a delay with getting the legal means. They have the right to license the show in this Region so they are doing nothing wrong at ALL.

Second, as I said before Zac (not trying to put words in his mouth) was referring to people who use fansubs despite the fact that there is a legal option for them. We all understand that some people don't have a choice if there is no legal option and that is fine because of their situation.

Clearly some people can't change their mind even with the facts right in front of them so I think for the most part I am done with this conversation. I don't need anymore stress, don't want my problem to start again.
You shouldn't be stressed to begin with over this, laugh it up like I am. Shocked

Also you cannot speak for the owner(s) of the font being used during that lolshow (I can't really laugh at that since the past thread got me to watch it myself Embarassed ) I doubt they'll not be all too pleased unless perhaps they let it go or do not know about it. *wink* at those 1337 folks
Ryojen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

Illegal and hypocritical are not the same thing. Example:

Horriblesubs ripping video from Crunchyroll is ILLEGAL.
Funimation suing 1337 people for downloading fansubs, then downloading fansubs themselves is HYPOCRITICAL.

The fat cats on Wall Street who knowingly drove the economy into the ground weren't doing anything illegal. Does that mean they also weren't doing anything wrong?

asimpson2006 wrote:

Ironic, considering the staff of ANN themselves watches fansubs for their season preview guides. Is that illegal, hypocritical or both?

asimpson2006 wrote:
Clearly some people can't change their mind even with the facts right in front of them.

You said it, not me. Smile
kantori

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
Ryojen stop!
You are making too much sense for ANN, readers/mods in all!! Razz
zaeris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:50 am Reply with quote
Gamen wrote:

And you're probably completely incorrect. Unless CR is licensing the translation from a third-party, or the production committee is commissioning the translation from CR, instead of CR commissioning it or doing them in-house, they are the copyright owners of the translated script. The terms of the license agreement between CR and the committee would dictate how CR could distribute the translation, and likely gives the committee rights to both use and redistribute the translation, but CR would still be its copyright holder.

Edit: I'll grant that if the terms of the license are particularly unfair towards CR they'd effectively not be the copyright holder.

This is where I stop since at this point since it will be an argument base on theory without facts. although my reasoning came from that translation are commission work from the production itself and contracted out to CR as a third party for the work provided.

Well that's more then I wanted to be involved. Although I wonder why people still argue, the fansub(rip) in question is use for the dubbing process where actors are not even reading from the CR script. The script itself is unimportant in this case only the anime itself would be relevant which is within funi rights to use.

Last edited by zaeris on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:

Illegal and hypocritical are not the same thing. Example:

Horriblesubs ripping video from Crunchyroll is ILLEGAL.
Funimation suing 1337 people for downloading fansubs, then downloading fansubs themselves is HYPOCRITICAL.

I know the difference, and the people they attempted to sue were distributing. Again as it says in the article they only use them if there is a delay in getting the legal version that they are going to use.

Ryojen wrote:

Ironic, considering the staff of ANN themselves watches fansubs for their season preview guides. Is that illegal, hypocritical or both?

If there is no legal option to watch it then it's neither, and if there is a legal option they use that.

Ryojen wrote:

asimpson2006 wrote:
Clearly some people can't change their mind even with the facts right in front of them so I think for the most part I am done with this conversation.

You said it, not me. Smile

I'm not industry insider or an anime expert by any means, as I stated earlier, I agree with Zac and the staff here on this one. Now in case you are wondering yes I do use fansubs if there is no legal option available to me. Personally I would rather not do this because I HATE watching stuff on my laptop and my MKV player doesn't always pick up the subs right away.
Ryojen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:59 am Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
My MKV player doesn't always pick up the subs right away.

May I suggest the CCCP codec package with Media Player Classic? That usually solves most fansub playback issues.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Ryojen wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
My MKV player doesn't always pick up the subs right away.

May I suggest the CCCP codec package with Media Player Classic? That usually solves most fansub playback issues.

I can't install it on that. It has no problems with AVI files, so I might just spend the time converting the MKV files to AVI.
kantori

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

I can't install it on that. It has no problems with AVI files, so I might just spend the time converting the MKV files to AVI.
I'm assuming you've uninstalled all the codecs + players (clean the registry with ccleaner if your ok with this), restart PC and retry to install CCCP? Tried K-lite?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10