• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Downloaded Sora no Otoshimono Copy Shown at Funimation Studio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

I look at it this way, if you have so many problems with then do one of three things a) procure funds or investors and start your own company and attempt to fix the problem. b) put up with it. c) leave the fandom and get into something else.

Sorry, it's not really that I dislike fandom that much, it's just that I need to get rid of bile once in awhile. Mostly I just put up with it, or take an extended break from the internet everyonce inawhile- and when I do I'm not leaving the fandom, I'm just leaving the online aspect of the fandom. Which you don't really have to bother with at the end of the day anyways, but I guess I get nostalgic for the times when people just used to wage wars on Hal Jordan [or anime's counterpart, dubvs.sub], not on ripping off creators because they want pretty shinies.

That was more at Daizo than you Paploo, I should have stated that in the post. My bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Xanas- are you seriously trying to explain to me why my personal creator rights should be ignored? Your post is really confusingly worded, and seriously, whether it's someone profitting off my work via bootlegged merchandise or someone posting my work without my permission or knowledge, my rights are being abused in both cases, just in different ways.

Why do you want to advocate my rights being abused?

Everytime people make arguments for fansubs/piracy, they're arguing to have someone's rights abused- the people who work at FUnimation, the artist who drew the manga, the person who assisted them, the background artist or the composer or the retailer whose selling the dvd's or streaming the anime.

There's a lot of abuse going on in that situation, and to bring things back on topic, in the case of this article, Funi's actions were well within their legal rights. If what they did was so bad, then why aren't people going after those who've done far worse abuse?

Last edited by Paploo on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
That was more at Daizo than you Paploo, I should have stated that in the post. My bad.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks. Was confused by that. And yeah, when people put their money where there mouth is, that's where we get companies like Funimation, the legit reincarnation of CrunchyRoll, ANN, all that awesome stuff that creates real change and benefits artists, consumers and companies.
Just look at Digital Manga's new online iniatiative- there's so much exciting stuff that could be done. But I suppose some like to take the easier route, and whinge/steal.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Xanas- are you seriously trying to explain to me why my personal creator rights should be ignored? Your post is really confusingly worded, and seriously, whether it's someone profitting off my work via bootlegged merchandise or someone posting my work without my permission or knowledge, my rights are being abused in both cases, just in different ways.

I didn't say your rights should be ignored. I said that IP rights don't exist.

If you believe in natural rights, you ground those rights on specific logical arguments on a common axiom. IP fails the test of being a natural right because there is no common axiom that results in the necessity of IP. It is not needed to avoid conflicts between scarce resources or allow for peaceful collaboration among people. In fact it causes conflict. This should be clear from the myriad of lawsuits that result constantly due to these state granted privileges

If you are referring to a "positive" right (ie: one that is granted by the government) then it's only a right insofar as there is power to enforce it. If your basis for this positive right is utilitarianism (the most benefit for the most people), you have to prove that IP is beneficial to most people.

Disclaimer: I've not said this yet in the thread, but let me make myself clear here on the fact that I do buy anime/games/etc. and do not just pirate everything. In fact I spend thousands a year on anime (and it's also a significant portion of my income, I don't make that much).

So my views against IP have absolutely nothing to do with hating anime, believing artists should not make money or anything like that. I just don't believe IP is necessary for artists to make money and I think it actually confines their senses on how to do it in the best way.

Last edited by Xanas on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
maylo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:

Ah, that makes sense, thanks. Was confused by that. And yeah, when people put their money where there mouth is, that's where we get companies like Funimation, the legit reincarnation of CrunchyRoll, ANN, all that awesome stuff that creates real change and benefits artists, consumers and companies.
Just look at Digital Manga's new online iniatiative- there's so much exciting stuff that could be done. But I suppose some like to take the easier route, and whinge/steal.

PS: http://www.jmanga.com/
This is the Digital Manga site crunchyroll is working on.

Last edited by maylo on Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

But they do exist, they're actual laws recognized internationally that protect my right across the world. My IP rights are my rights, they're a human right that prevent me from being abused by people who would like to profit from my work without my involvement or benefit.

Or are you that guy who thinks governements aren't real/laws don't matter? I seem to recall having this dicsussion before.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Government's are quite real, very deadly, destructive/etc. But yes I'm a voluntarist/anarchist if that's what you meant Smile

And on the matter of "law" I wouldn't agree that they aren't important. I just think that real laws are founded on principles and not founded on legislative fiat.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote
maylo wrote:

This is the Digital Manga site crunchyroll is working on, you can create an account and login if you want.

Do they have a press release somewhere? If this is the case, I'm suprised it hasn't been more widely reported. I know a big japanese digital firm invested with them awhile ago. Hope they manage to steal some of the aggregator's fanbase away.
maylo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
maylo wrote:

This is the Digital Manga site crunchyroll is working on, you can create an account and login if you want.

Do they have a press release somewhere? If this is the case, I'm suprised it hasn't been more widely reported. I know a big japanese digital firm invested with them awhile ago. Hope they manage to steal some of the aggregator's fanbase away.

No press release, but this is the site Crunchyroll is working; they were commissioned to do it.

Last edited by maylo on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
maylo wrote:

I hope it happens to, I don't mind up aggregator site to get my manga fix for stuff not in English, but I would like this option depending on how it turns out more.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
If it's real, I imagine some of the aggregation sites'll be really miffed- a major drop in traffic would probably kill off or maim some of them.

asimpson2006 wrote:
Paploo wrote:
maylo wrote:

I hope it happens to, I don't mind up aggregator site to get my manga fix for stuff not in English, but I would like this option depending on how it turns out more.

Note to ANN--- check into this and post it on the front page so we can move onto a hot news topic that's less depressing :) Though I wonder what's up with the CMX licenses I see on that thing? Also hope it wasn't something they were still working on contracts that might get affected if it got leaked.

Last edited by Paploo on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
qwerty4u

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
maylo wrote:
Paploo wrote:
maylo wrote:

No press release, but this is the site Crunchyroll is working; they were commissioned to do it.

mmmm warm buttery leakage...
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Government's are quite real, very deadly, destructive/etc. But yes I'm a voluntarist/anarchist if that's what you meant Smile
As long as you don't free ride off of the social benefits that come from the rule of law, fine. Stay off the road, don't listen or watch media over regulated broadcast or cable media, stay off the internet ~ for starters.
Quote:
And on the matter of "law" I wouldn't agree that they aren't important. I just think that real laws are founded on principles and not founded on legislative fiat.
In a constitutional democracy, real laws are laws that are passed by the elected representatives under the rules set down in the constitution that abide by the limits of jurisdiction set down in the constitution.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

Plagiarism I think is a different matter, because the consumer may intend to purchase or take official channels. What you are doing in such a case is defrauding the consumer. So the consumer should have every right to sue you for committing fraud of that kind.

I absolutely disagree with plagiarism despite the fact I don't agree with your first sentence.

What the hell do you think copyright is supposed to protect?

The right of the original creator to profit from the work and no one else. Look at what has happened to anime and manga where certain people like MF, and Taizo have been made rich by selling the creation of others without compensation.

Also as Agila61 stated if you honestly believe that governments are evil than stop benefiting from them. Prove you can live without the government.
dfrehil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Xanas wrote:

But they do exist, they're actual laws recognized internationally that protect my right across the world. My IP rights are my rights, they're a human right that prevent me from being abused by people who would like to profit from my work without my involvement or benefit.

Or are you that guy who thinks governements aren't real/laws don't matter? I seem to recall having this dicsussion before.

"Because it's the law" is not a valid argument. Laws must have real rational reasons for being laws.

IP rights are not human rights, they are not found in the UDHR. "IP" is a bogus industry buzzword coined in an era before the internet and is used as a justification to do some truly heinous things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10