• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Rurouni" kenshin

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minion1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:28 pm Reply with quote
what does the word "Rurouni" means???
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:52 pm Reply with quote
It means "wanderer". Interestingly enough, "rurouni" doesn't seem to appear in a Japanese dictionary. "rurou" (流浪) means "vagrancy; wandering; nomadism". So I assume the "ni" is a particle. But on the cover of the Kenshin manga, it's not spelled with the kanji but rather with the hiragana, as if it were one word: るろうに. I wonder why it's spelled that way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Minion1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:58 pm Reply with quote
thanks Dan42
sacchan

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 10:23 pm Reply with quote
"Rurouni" is a word that Watsuki(mangaka) made up.
rurounijason1878

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:58 pm Reply with quote
hey man im kind of new to ann and rurouni kenshin is my fav anime i was wondering if anyone could tell me weather there are any plans to continue the anime with new epis or movies ty for any help
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Kenshin is a really good anime, I can understand why you'd want more. But the TV series ended a long time ago in Japan, and the last attempt to revive Kenshin as animation -- the Reflection OAVs -- was not exactly met with a blazing success -_-' So don't expect any more Kenshin beyond the 95 tv episodes, the movie and the 2 OAV series.

But then again, if it becomes *really* successful during its run on US tv... I don't think it's impossible that a US company would try to get the rest of the manga made as a longer series. Stranger things have happened.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:26 pm Reply with quote
sacchan wrote:
"Rurouni" is a word that Watsuki(mangaka) made up.

Well, I wouldn't say that it's so much "made up" as it is a word created to express an idea that he had. Since there wasn't a word to quite express what he wanted, it seems more like he took a concept and modified it.

"made up" sounds (to me) more like you are pulling something out of the blue and it doesn't really have that feel to it, but that's just my .02.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Delthayre

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:08 am Reply with quote
'Ni' is indeed a particle. It has a wide range of uses (about fifteen according to Naoko Chino's All About Particles), one of which is indicating a condition already in existence. However 'ni' is not added to words in any of the prescribed uses, and is always independent. So I cannot be certain of the words etymology.

Last edited by Delthayre on Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
rurounijason1878

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:52 pm Reply with quote
hello all i was wondering if anyone could tell me about wear kenshin got his cross shaped scare i have a few epis i bought along with a few manga tittles but they never seem to mention it does anyone know?
rurounijason1878

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:55 pm Reply with quote
hello all i was wondering if anyone could tell me about wear kenshin got his cross shaped scare i have a few epis i bought along with a few manga tittles but they never seem to mention it does anyone know?
Case

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:27 pm Reply with quote
rurounijason1878 wrote:

It's actually two scars. He got the first while trying to kill the fiancee of the girl (Tomoe) who would later became the love of his life. He got the second one from Tomoe herself, when she died at the hands of one of one of Kenshin's opponents. (Who, IIRC, was trying to kill Kenshin to get revenge for Tomoe's fiancee.)

For the gruesome details, see ADV's Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal DVDs.
vanessa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:50 am Reply with quote
It's in the movie before the TV series so if you want to know the juicy details and all the action, watch the movie. It's awsome and really sad, but it's way more violent than the TV series. Just to warn you. Anyways, it's great like I said and it just talks about Kenshin's past. Go for it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1