• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Wanna Be the Strongest in the World' Female Wrestling Anime's 1st Animated Promo Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aldora07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Man that video was AWSOME!!!!!! Very Happy
R.G.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
I'd rather have a new Kinnikuman anime.

How about a Kinnikuman Lady anime?
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:

Man, I wish Air Master had a proper DVD release.

Air Master needs a full-on remake, a story with a solid ending. Heck, they could just make movies that take off from the end of the show.

I finally watched this trailer, and I'm wondering if it's going to be more about boobs or "fighting spirit."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote
^^^ my bet is boobs and orgasms Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LuScr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to say how seriously they're going to take the "wrestling" part of this series, but the clip isn't quite as pointless as it seems at first glance.

Sakura is not "pinned" (which has a very specific meaning in wrestling) but is rather trapped in a submission hold called a Boston crab. (Wikipedia trivia: "In Japan, it is commonly used as a hold to defeat young and inexperienced wrestlers; the ability to overcome the hold is considered a sign of growth.")

Through the clip, Sakura's dragging herself (and her opponent on top of her) towards the ropes; if she can grab the ropes, by rule her opponent will be forced to break the hold.

I was expecting her narration to be a voiceover, though. I cracked up when she actually stopped in the middle of her escape attempt and talked to the camera.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:36 am Reply with quote
LuScr wrote:
Sakura is not "pinned" (which has a very specific meaning in wrestling) but is rather trapped in a submission hold called a Boston crab. (Wikipedia trivia: "In Japan, it is commonly used as a hold to defeat young and inexperienced wrestlers; the ability to overcome the hold is considered a sign of growth.")

So we got the formula, 15 minutes of talking heads, 8 minutes of moaning and 1 minute of "hey, I know I can do it". well, I suppose someone will watch this and maybe it will be well done (atm it is anyone guess if the animation will be better than that of the preview), but it is not my cup of tea and I suspect it will not be the next Attack on Titan.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
but it is not my cup of tea and I suspect it will not be the next Attack on Titan.

I don't think anyone expects that of even high profile series.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
but it is not my cup of tea and I suspect it will not be the next Attack on Titan.

Will probably be better animated than Shingeki, so theres that at least.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think female pro wrestling is really underrated in Japan. There are a lot of great female pro wrestlers in Japan, and whenever they come to U.S. as guests they really show fans here how much more they treat it like an art, rather than just lowbrow entertainment. There's a lot more technical moves and grappling in Japanese pro wrestling than pro wrestling in the U.S.

I agree that female pro wrestling in Japan is better than it is here in North America, but I disagree with the technical aspect. Kurt Angle, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, Jeff Jarrett are great technical wrestlers in TNA alone. Then there's CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Chris Jericho, Natalya, Antonio Cesaro, Alberto Del Rio, who are great technical wrestlers as well from WWE. BTW, do NOT fool all pro wrestling promotions in North America for WWE and to a lesser extent TNA. The indies treat wrestling as a sport. Also, as JP wrestling has greatly influenced US/Canadian wrestling, the same applies vice versa. Also, all professional wrestling is entertainment. It's just that in Japan they try to make it look more legit, but it's wrong to say the Japanese take wrestling more seriously than North Americans. I'd say it's the reverse, actually.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

Well, there are high expectations since is the first anime adaptation from a series in Comic Earth Star magazine that is not 6 minutes long and they have hired some well known seiyuus, director and character designer.

Worst case scenario this crash and burns and there will be no anime with any kind athletic females for several years. "best" case scenario this is a moderate hit and there will be another moan-fest anime within the year. This is a lose-lose situation unless you are part of the specific demographic (i.e. I have watched quite a bit of animes with lolis in them even tough lolis are definetively not one of my fetishes) this show is aimed towards.
Cryssoberyl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote
So I reluctantly clicked on the YouTube link, and got this:

Quote:
"This video has been removed as a violation of YouTube's policy on nudity or sexual content."

Well, I guess that tells me everything I needed to know...
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I guess submission holds now count as sexual content
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

Well, there are high expectations since is the first anime adaptation from a series in Comic Earth Star magazine that is not 6 minutes long and they have hired some well known seiyuus, director and character designer.

Worst case scenario this crash and burns and there will be no anime with any kind athletic females for several years. "best" case scenario this is a moderate hit and there will be another moan-fest anime within the year. This is a lose-lose situation unless you are part of the specific demographic (i.e. I have watched quite a bit of animes with lolis in them even tough lolis are definetively not one of my fetishes) this show is aimed towards.

Well, it's female professional wrestling. What else do you expect? It's an accurate, albeit slightly exaggerated, portrayal of the event--yes they do use the costumes, the same moves, and groan and scream in the real life version too.

I don't think you extrapolate this to other types of shows or sports in general.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:12 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Well, it's female professional wrestling. What else do you expect? It's an accurate, albeit slightly exaggerated, portrayal of the event--yes they do use the costumes, the same moves, and groan and scream in the real life version too.

Let's be brutally clear, I do not mind larger than life cleavage, fancy costumes, flashy moves, groans and screams, I grew up watching movies in TV with El Santo and Blue Demon. But when they say "most fainting-in-agony female professional wrestling anime ever" and after looking at the preview, we can no doubt expect an all you can eat moan-fest buffet, this is all about hearing in stereo how a female feels pain with as much detail as the voice actress can deliver and that is why I will not see the series, albeit I do not wish it to fail miserably since that would cripple the possibility of another (and hopefully better) anime series with athletic females.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
lbeit I do not wish it to fail miserably since that would cripple the possibility of another (and hopefully better) anime series with athletic females.

Lets just say you are putting way more weight on this than is deserved.

Also I can basically guarantee it will do mediocre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6