• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fansubs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skullone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I can't put it up there. It's a .doc file and it's not timed. Hmph.

Anyway, I guess I'll just hand it over to Big West... Anyone know who I should contact?
Gordy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 3:03 am Reply with quote
There is another form of digisubbing you might not be aware of. I am "involved" in a group that is slowly subtitling Digimon episodes, as well as the movies. Hey, for some reason I like Digimon. I can't actually get my hands on any raw episodes for them, but I closely follow their escapades Wink

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/digimonfansubproject/
skullone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:26 am Reply with quote
I personally don't like Digimon, but I'll have a look there. I want to be able to fansub DYRL for personal enjoyment and maybe hand my script over to Big West for an international release of DYRL subtitled...

This time, without the Kiseki crap "My engine blocks are angry at me" or "You jump from subject to subject like an acrobat" (the latter was when Hikaru should have told Misa about how his father died - his line there should be something like "he made a mistake in an acrobatic maneuver").
Hisoka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:07 am Reply with quote
Just a few small things, since I skimmed through most of this...my over opinionated opinion again...

Digisubbers always seem to go for only the newset and greatest stuff..things that will definitely be picked up..like X, Chobits, Rave..Gatekeepers..etc..so while it is nice to see these..it is kind of silly for them to do it..The last three episodes of Hellsing were done after the license was announced..and alot of times on digisubs the only ones making money are the people who DL them and then burn them and sell them on eBay..that really irritates me...

But traditional fan subbers are harder to find. They are the ones who sub stuff that is old and unlikely to be released anytime soon. Rose of Versailles, The original Harlock stuff (though with Leiji's rising popularity that may get over here with out being hacked and slashed into Harlock and the Queen of a Thousands Years *shudders*) and lots of other really old anime, these guys are the only way to see it. And some of that is really worth seeing.

Also any fansub distro charging more than a few dollars for a VHS is a real rip off..all you should be paying for from a distro is the tape and the shipping. They don't own the licenses so they shouldn't price things like they do. Also anything licensed should not be distributed by any respectable distro..giving the only exception that there is no licensed Japanese track..I'm not a fansubber myself but I know a couple traditional ones and at least they are all doing it for the love of anime, and not for a quick buck.
arllyra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 8:09 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen any fansubbers I go thru charge for more than just shipping and the cost of a tape. Okay, maybe a little extra thrown in there. Most fansubbers, I think, can justify those with costs for equipment. After all, it can't be cheap to have all that tape copying equipment and subtitling stuff. Not to mention upkeep. I mean, have you ever used your VCR for 13 hours a day, 5 days a week (which is what I'm guessing is how much time they spend copying)? It wears out FAST. The tape heads would need cleaning at least every 2 weeks, and the components would just be shot. Are they supposed to take the machine costs out of their own pockets? On top of all their donated time and energy? I think I'm willing to pay another buck or two to that cause. Especially considering I'll be paying a heck of a lot more once the series is commercialized.

Now to answer the original question. On a personal level, fansubs are my way of sampling. I mean, who really wants to drop $30 on something they're not sure they'll like? You can rent mainstream movies, and there's often reviews and word of mouth. But finding a useful review for an anime is darned near impossible. No offense, Anime Community in General, but anime reviews are highly, highly subjective, and I often find I don't agree with the reviewer. Then again, I've only met 1 anime I didn't like. Most anime fans I've met are way more picky than I am.
But I digress.
So I buy a fansub before a series is commercialized. If I like it and the rights are bought up, I buy the DVD. If I don't like it, I only wasted 6 or 7 bucks.
I think US distribution companies use fansubs, also, to gauge a series' popularity and potential revenue. I wouldn't have the slightest clue how they measure this. But I understand it's why nobody's bothered to shut down fansubbing distros. One reason, anyway.

And while I'm on the topic, let me just say that the people selling fansubs for profit on ebay.... horrible, ugly, scummy people. I probably wouldn't be so frustrated about it, either, if ebay did something to curb illegal sales on their site. But the few times I bothered to report these auctions, I got back a consolatory email that said something to the effect of, "we don't know if you're telling the truth and we won't bother to check it." But I do feel very sorry for the people bidding on these auctions, who don't know enough to check a fansub site first. Or buy it legally, if it's something that's already licensed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2