• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Raijin comics, weekly price at 12.45?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danbeck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:46 am Reply with quote
I just happened to check the Raijin site for updates and low and behold, they have tons of new information about the manga anthology including pricing. Well... at least you can sort of figure out the pricing by reading over their subscription information page.

From what I can gather, the cover price for one issue will be $12.45. You can get subscriptions that decrease the price to between 6.45 and 4.95, but you have to pony up $77 to get the 6.45 price and $237.60 to get the 4.95 price.

I hate to sound cheap here.. but $12.45 for a single issue? That's $12.45 per week, $50 per month. That's quite a bit of cash.

Now, I'm not calling into question whether or not it's a fair price or not... there are a *lot* of different series in the anthology and to buy a single issue of each series would be much more than $12.45.

The problem I see is that many people can't or just won't choose to plunk down $12 for a book every week when they are already purchasing several other mangas, GN's and possibly American comics also.

With Shonen Jump pricing at 4.95 for an issue and the huge amount of manga beginning to be available here in the US, can a $12 manga anthology make it? Admittedly, Shonen Jump will be targeted at a younger audience.. but it's hard to see how such an expensive weekly anthology will do.

After reading the list of what series will be included in the anthology, I can say that I will pickup the first issue just to see how it turns out, but will I continue to pick up each issue every week? I doubt it... I can't justify spending that much extra money on manga. I do have responsibilities. =)

And something that seems strange.. none of the anime/manga news sites have really picked up on this. Am I the only one that sees a $12 price as too high?

What do the rest of you think? Who will be buying weekly issues at this price?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I think you'd have to like most of the titles being published an awful lot to make that sort of commitment; that's the equivalent of buying an anime DVD every two weeks (or less, in some cases). Even if you do like all of the titles and can justify the weekly expenditure, that would translate into a lot of shelf clutter very quickly. If someone only likes one or two of the titles being published, I don't see why they wouldn't just wait two or three months for each collection of the series. I'd like to be wrong, but I suspect the domestic market for manga (as opposed to anime) is too small to support weekly anthologies. Fortunately for me, I don't really care about any of the titles listed on the site, and even if I did, I can buy the French translations of the tankobon for most of those titles for less per volume (!) than one issue of Raijin (if the price mentioned above is accurate). Even if they got Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, I'd just wait for the collections.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FigNewton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 2:14 am Reply with quote
No, you've misread the information. A single issue of Raijin is going to be $6.95. The savings you refer to is over the life of the subscription. In other words

77.40+6 = 83.40

83.40/12 = 6.95

For the NEXT subscription rate they cite a savings of $24 on 24 issues (a dollar an issue).

142.80 + 24 = 164.80

164.80 / 24 = 6.87 (they're off a little saying it's a $24 savings, really it's a bit more).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1