• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gantz -- need help understanding the ending.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
And trust me, where the manga goes afterwards wipes the floor with the material the anime covered. That isn't to say the part covered in anime wasn't good, but it just got way better. spoiler[Kurono finally gets character development and matures out of his selfish-dick phase, the new cast of characters are far more likable generally compared to most of the old cast].

But I kind of liked the way Gantz the anime featured spoiler["unlikable"] characters, made a nice change.
diciple

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:14 am Reply with quote
I have my own thoughts i'd like to projct pertaining to the ending of the series. A couple of side-notes.

A. Im not sure who could not love the actuall character Gantz. I absolutely loved him and sided with most of his judgement. I love his sick humor and how he absolutely loves messing with people. You could argue that he only "messes" with people because he provokes them to contribute to a higher cause but I immediately refuted this theory when Gantz persistently calls the actor a fag. So i accept Gantz is either Human/part human/ or contains some humanoid traits to him for him to have a sense of humor. ANother example of human traits was the reaction of agony he shows in the third guantlet when the statues are swarming around everybody.

B.On this first 3 episodes ,when the plot was still mysterious, I accepted Gantz to be part of the afterlife or something of the supernatural realm. I'd like to believe that isn't true. I think accepting that there is not enough evidence in the show to be able to comprehend what Gantz is or where he came from, is a personally ok belief.

C. The anime is so short and prewritten i'd like to believe that there is a purpose of every person who came to Gantz's room. For my own health reasons I would not like to state a purpose for everyone but i mean just think about it. The two yakuza guys were there for obvious reasons. The first one to attempt to rape the female Kei so Kado could emerge as a hero through the eyes of everybody while saving Kei. The other Yakuza shoots the "green onion Sr." with his last breath buying Kei time to run away. There are a few people I can't tie a piece of the overall plot to though. The grandmother and her kid don't do anything. Like really. Nothing at all. It would seem like I am trying to stretch the insignifigance of the grandmother to say something like her death was a symbol to kado that he needs to learn how to kill if he wants to save people. Other than the grandmother and the australian dude (dubbed voice obv.) everyone serves a purpose. Another character that seems irrelevent is the priest. I may be full of shit here but i think his purpose was to put it very clearly that gantz has no ties to heaven nor hell. The priest was sure he was in the afterlife and did not accept that gantz is very real and they are very alive. Because he was so misleaded he ended up dieing in the third guantlet.

Ok now onto my translation of the ending. First of all let me spare you that "spoiler" bullshit. you would not of google searched gantz ending explanation if you weren't looking to take the easy way out and not think it through. Secondly, I will never in my life ever accept an answer "the ending is what you think it is." To me that is laziness. Third of all, If you are going to flame/bash my ending then w.e its all opinion and unless we get some sort of mitigation from the writer(s), arguing is trivial.
Im gonna consider the ending to be the last three episodes. The main question is "Is kei dead?" Well no he is alive. At the end when he is confronting the train, he is confronting Gantz. The train going towards him is Gantz's final halucination. He wants to face Kei. Im not a genius ok I've watched this series one time through. Im not sure why but I am POSITIVE Gantz is trying to face Kei knowing he will lose to Kei. It is hinted many times and Kei caught on towards the end. When Kei is transported to the station he knows what going on. He even says "you still want to do this Gantz?" At this time Kei realized the question he is faced with. He can kill Gantz which is what Gantz wants, or he can take the train head on leading to what I believe to be his death. As he gets on to the tracks he repeats to himself. "What can I do all buy myself?" I interpret this to be the second guessing of him wanting to live and as he has all these flashbacks all of his friends all assure him that there sacrifice for him will be ok as long as he lives. So he makes his decision and stops running from the train and faces Gantz and claims he chooses to live. Now this is where is gets kinda corny. Kei taking on Gantz 5th gauntlet, he halucination of the train, defeats Gantz and resumes Kei's ends the story. Before it goes to credits you see everyone around him in the train station that was a halucination dissapear and the sphere of Gantz fade away.
I think its safe to say here that Gantz was the true victim here and he was sick of his life. The old lady that reoccurs to Kei is either Gantz or a program of Gantz. It is also safe to say that this ending is anything but a happy one. Kei lives but it wasn't for himself it was for his friends and Gantz dies. All of Kei's friends remain dead as well. The sad music at the end should be enough for you to realize this isn't a comedy. It is a great ending and everyone who dislikes it is entitled to their own opinion but I think most of the hatred to it is a misunderstanding of what the ending is. I thought it completed the thought quite well. As for the people thnking they were "cheated." You must understand this was the intended ending. It is from the same mind(s) as the creator of the original story so nothing is out of place.
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing to understand, its a filler ending. I highly recommend reading the manga, as it is amazing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3