• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Some good news on Japan Copyright Law.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
In the midst of all the bruhaha on Tokyo's Youth Ordinance Bill, it seems the Japanese government is willing to relax its copyright laws. Unlike other countries, Japan's copyright laws do not have a "fair use" exception. But this may be the start of it:

Gov't to allow unlicensed use of copyrighted works
Quote:

TOKYO — A government advisory panel on Monday basically approved a plan to tolerate the unlicensed use of copyrighted works unless the use unduly infringes on the interest of the copyright holder, government officials said.

After receiving a final report from the Council for Cultural Affairs next month, the government may submit a copyright law revision bill to the effect during a Diet session to be convened next month, they said.

The planned revision is designed to meet diversified uses of copyrighted works amid the spread of the Internet and information technologies, while copyright holders are concerned about possible abuses under the revision.

The plan says unlicensed use of a copyrighted work may be tolerated if the use itself is not the main purpose and the dependence on it is light, if the use is minor and reasonably required in the course of a legal use, or if the use is not aimed at seeing or hearing copyrighted expressions.

More specifically, it says there may be no problem if art shown at a film location site is filmed accidentally, or if video software is copied as a sample for technology development purposes.

This is not a carte blanche to pirate the heck out of the anime/manga industry! But parodies are officially welcome. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1