• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most disturbing scenes in anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I still cannot get over spoiler[the deaths of Nina Tucker] in FMA and spoiler[Naomi Misora] in Death Note. Neither scene was particularly violent - we never even actually see anything from the latter - but seeing two innocents (one a little girl) helplessly have their lives ruined by dangerous madmen spoiler[(in the little girl's case, her own father)] brings a small ache to my eyes.

Last edited by Anton Chigurh on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
motaku96

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm....in full metal panic! the second raid, when the spoiler[team is in the the tunnels in Hong Kong near the beginning of the series(i think episode 3 or 4) rescuing hostages and Mao is with a team securing the hostages when one of the Xia Yu sisters(the one with the short hair) gets up and slits the throat of one of the team members. for some reason there was a lot of detail in that death. you can see the inside of his throat and everything.] well it makes me cringe everytime i see it.
Oh and the nina tucker thing from fullmetal alchemist which has already been mentioned also freaked me out. when i read it in the manga for the first time, i was seriously spooked.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Anton, what series are you talking about? Spoilers don't really help if we don't know that.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Anton, what series are you talking about? Spoilers don't really help if we don't know that.

The series are mentioned in the spoiler tags.

Also I'd say some of the most disturbing scenes in Anime have to go to the fan service scenes in Kyou No Go No Ni.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
motaku96

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also I'd say some of the most disturbing scenes in Anime have to go to the fan service scenes in Kyou No Go No Ni.

Yeah. aren't those great. sorry, i'm a bit of a lolicon.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

The series are mentioned in the spoiler tags.

That doesn't help me to know if I've seen the series before opening the spoilers, and there's no obvious indication. A while back, there was a yandere discussion thread that proposed using nested spoilers with the first couple letters of the series outside the first spoiler to help not reveal the spoiler by simply naming the series. That might work.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
I could just leave the series' name out of the tag.

On topic I wanted to add that plenty of series - not only Japanese ones - out there provide extreme violence/gore and explicit sex scenes. So I no longer find those elements quite as disturbing as I used to. It takes a specially appalling incident to make me say "that's effed up."

Now that we mention fan-service, it bothered me through "Ghost Stories" how prevalent gags involving the young heroine's underwear were. She must not have been older than twelve.
Wellness

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:39 am Reply with quote
Elfien Lied

spoiler[I don't even like dogs or cats but that scene where the kids kill the puppy was fucked up. Also messed up was when those kids were subsequently slaughtered in the next minute. Kids kind of deserved it but damn I didn't need to see that. Made the demon rampage and rape scenes at the end of Berserk seem tame in comparison to for the fucked up things I was exposed to in anime.]
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
The scene in Higurashi where spoiler[Shion is stabbing Satoko up, but WITHOUT the black shading over it put for censoring, I once watched it without the sensoring, and I admit it made me go eww more than once. ] And yeah, I agree with Anton on that one.
valyn85

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
I came in late on this topic but I read most of it. Don't know if this has been mentioned yet. spoiler[After Diva kills Riku (after I would assume raping him) she then shifts her form to his body the rest of the series. Every time you see her from then on it's pretty disturbing.]
fauntix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
is it bad if you have seen Elfen Lied and didn't think any of it was disturbing?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Anton valyn85, what series are you talking about? Spoilers don't really help if we don't know that.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I think that the Paranoia Agent episode "Happy Family Planing" was disturbing. spoiler[First of all, the whole story is about them trying to commit suicide, so that's pretty crazy as it is. But to top it off was the last scene in the episode when you figure out that were already dead. Then you can think back on the episode and realize who much more creepy that episode was.] Also in Paprika there was some disturbing scenes. spoiler[Like when Paprika was tied up and that guy suck his hand inside her body and ripped her open, that was crazy!] I think that Serial Experiments Lain is disturbing from the very start spoiler[When the school girl commits suicide by jumping off a building, that freaked me out.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
fauntix wrote:
is it bad if you have seen Elfen Lied and didn't think any of it was disturbing?

Naw. Depends on what you call disturbing. I'm in about the same boat. I had been warned that it was incredibly violent and morose and all this other stuff but it was so IN YOUR FACE all the time with its violence and totally unnecessary nudity that it just became a big rolling fog of "Okay, more birthday suits and people juice. Eh."

Personally, what I find disturbing is more what Mushi-man was describing: things like Paranoia Agent or Lain where what you don't see or you're not being told just freaks the crap out of you. Constant violence and sex is just a big shrug for me, and in the case of Elfen Lied I would almost be anticipating it followed immediately by an "OOOOOOH SNAP!"

Yeah, no Elfen Lied style spoiler[dog-beating], a scene which just made me feel a little grossed-out, can compare to the understated horror of what's behind the blank-staring chimera from episode 7 of Fullmetal Alchemist. That one kept me up deep into the night. Shocked
valyn85

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
sorry, I was talking about Blood +. I put that in the subject line, but I guess it only shows if you start the topic. I'm still new to this forum.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 33