• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most disturbing scenes in anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBSHADOW

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:45 am Reply with quote
Almost all the scenes from When they cry. Just watch the first scene you'll know what I mean. Shocked
superdbgtfan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Baccano! spoiler[when vino uses the train track to repeadedly skin ches-kun alive]
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
The spoiler[rape scenes in] Shadow Star Narutaru. I've never felt more uncomfortable in my life. Especially since spoiler[they are a bunch of kids, and this show aired on a kids network in Japan].
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:05 am Reply with quote
Funnily scenes of rape and sexual deviancy don't really disturb me Well they do disturb me but all I think is well there goes a b*stard hope he gets what's coming to him but I don't become physically shocked. I guess I am just weird like that. What does shock me right down to the core (In a good way) Is when something devastatingly emotionally traumatic happens to one of the characters. For Example.

Elfen Lied spoiler[When the male lead's (I forget his name) sister is killed by lucy that tore my gut up so bad I cried for ages. It was beyond me how he could ever forgive himself or her for the manner in which she died.]

When they cry spoiler[The scene where shion kills Satoko and then immidiately realises just how far she has gone and she wets herself under the tremendous finality of the situation. I almost gagged out of communicative shock.]

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 spoiler[Season 2 episode 20 odd right after Louise got her revenge that combination of insane and childlike laughter and going on about seeing her parent's again and then that scream .. shudder.]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:05 pm Reply with quote
This thread has been quiet for a while, but I just caught up on the 4 most recent episodes of Shiki (13-16), and the final scene of 14 really unnerved me. spoiler[Toshi's completely emotionless killing of Kyoko was a rather chilling conclusion to his experimentation. Her muffled anguished screams convey a thorough sense of wrong-ness to the proceeding and her constant fear. The Shiki still have all the emotions and memories of their human life, which makes Kyoko twice a victim for sins little more egregious than pettiness and vanity.]

I don't think I've properly expressed how uncomfortable it was for me to watch this, but the last time I felt this queasy from an anime was the intro to episode 5 of Higurashi. spoiler[You know, where Rika repeatedly stabs herself in the head.]
Gentry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I don't think I've properly expressed how uncomfortable it was for me to watch this, but the last time I felt this queasy from an anime was the intro to episode 5 of Higurashi. spoiler[You know, where Rika repeatedly stabs herself in the head.]
This one seems to get alot of people, me included. It's not even as if you see it happen directly, just the sound effects and the thought of doing that to yourself is enough to give me the shivers.

I've had this discussion in the past and School Days is usually brought up once or twice but I never really got the same element of shock. I'll admit the act carried out by Katsura is shocking but a little too over the top for me to take it seriously. Plus I hated everything about Makoto that I didn't really care anyway. It was an ugly anime in my opinion full of shallow, detestable characters. Maybe that's another factor that it just didn't work for me.

When they cry was the one that really got to me, not any scene in particular just the whole idea behind having to watch this group of friends getting along and enjoying each others company before spoiler[one of them deciding it was time for a brutal killing spree, murdering whoever stood in their way. The first death scene in the anime where Rene and Mion get battered to death at the hands of Keiichi was pretty intense, especially when he discovers it was his mind playing tricks on him.]

Still haven't got round to watching the second series based on the fact I found it hard to enjoy watching the comedy only to see one of the characters spoiler[be stabbed, hacked or torn apart in the very next scene. Must get on that though. Great anime.]
TKDSoldier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
That big ugly monster in Ninja Scroll disturbed probably because I was real young at the time.
rojse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
What does it say about me that I took several mentions here as recommendations for future viewing?

Elfen Lied has been mentioned so many times, I don't feel any need to repeat the most oft-discussed scenes.

Neon Genesis Evangelion and the movies had some quite disturbing moments, but one that stands out in my mind hasn't been mentioned yet: spoiler[In episode eighteen, when Shinji is ordered to fight a pilot, trapped in Eva Unit 03, now deemed an angel. When Shinji refuses to fight, his mecha, Unit 01, is set on autopilot and Shinji is forced to watch on helplessly as Unit 01 destroys the Unit 03 and nearly kills the pilot inside. Shinji then finds out that the pilot was his best friend, Toji.]

An anime movie I watched that actually disturbed me was "The Ideon: Be Invoked." The first scene has spoiler[Cosmo talking to Kitty Kitten, and then both are forced to flee from enemy fire. We see a flash from a bomb that presumably kills Kitty, and the camera changes itself to Cosmo's face, which is what normally happens when someone is killed in a movie. Suddenly, you see Kitty's decapitated head flying past, shown as a reflection on the visor. The death itself was disturbing enough, but the trick in changing the perspectiveof the camera, but still showing the death explicity, was done quite well.]

Probably the most powerfully done death in the film is the death of spoiler[a five-year old girl, Ashura, who is killed when a round from a rocket launcher hits her head. And this is fully shown in the movie, without the camera averting away from the scene.]
Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:23 pm Reply with quote
For me, it's the whole sequence of events at the conclusion of the "vampire twins" arc in Black Lagoon - Second Barrage.

spoiler[It wasn't just the children's ultimate fates - especially "Hansel's" drawn-out bleeding out, but also the scene where "Gretel" propositions Rock simply because he's the first person who's treated her halfway decently. The realization of what kind of life she's lead to do that so matter-of-factly made me more than a little queasy, and his horrified reaction brought home the point. ]

I must admit to having a bit of trouble getting to sleep the night I watched that one.
swienke

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
Oh boy, where to begin? I haven't gotten around to a lot of the anime that have been mentioned so far (though I plan on eventually watching a few), but I can certainly think of a few rather disturbing scenes that haven't been mentioned yet.

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Hellsing yet, especially the OVAs. There's boatloads of disturbing violence in there, but two scenes in particular come to mind: spoiler[Alucard's torture and murder of Rip Van Winkle and Seras grinding Zorin's head against the wall until it's...pretty much gone. The second example needs little explanation - it's just nasty, nasty violence (although Zorin did kind of deserve it). What really makes the first scene so disturbing though is the almost sexual nature of it. It plays out almost like some horrific rape scene, with the only real difference being that Van Winkle is impaled through the chest by her rifle instead of...you know where. Alucard takes his time torturing her, and his clear pleasure at it is just downright disturbing. What makes it even worse is that the Major is watching the whole thing on a giant screen in his zeppelin, which just adds to the whole debasement of Van Winkle's character as well as adding a very squicky voyeuristic element to it.]

Bakemonogatari also has one particularly nasty sequence that deserves mention. A lot of people complain about the series having too much sitting around and talking, but no one can deny that the bits of violence scattered about are truly brutal, and all the more effective because of their relative scarcity. The scene in question is spoiler[ the main fight between Araragi and Kanbaru. You know from the moment she starts running towards him that it's going to be a no-holds-barred beatdown, but it's not until she breaks his wrist (which then just hangs there in a very realistic, and very nasty manner) that the true viciousness of the fight starts to become apparent. She proceeds to RIP HIS INTESTINES OUT AND SWING HIM AROUND THE ROOM WITH THEM. The fact that they tried to tone down the nastiness by having his blood change to various pastel colors while this is happening adds a very disconcerting pound of hilarity to the proceedings without diminishing the absolute squickiness of it in the least. The sound effects in the fight are also one of the biggest reasons for how disturbing it is: the vicious snap as Araragi's wrist is broken, Kanbaru's crazed screams of rage, Araragi's wounded gurgles, the wet squelching as she pummels and swings him around, and then the flat splat as he hit's the wall after his entrails have snapped. ] It's all pretty distressing (though somehow kind of awesome and hilarious at the same time: what does this say about me?).
Oromis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:11 am Reply with quote
The final episode of Jigoku shoujo - season 2, where the three men and woman beat a helpless Ai to death with shovels in front the little kid Takuma was pretty disturbing to watch.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Elfen Lied when spoiler[ the kids beat the puppy to death. I had no problem with what happened to them afterwards. ]
hipnox

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Depends on what you call disturbing. I'm in about the same boat. I had been warned that it was incredibly violent and morose and all this other stuff but it was so IN YOUR FACE all the time with its violence and totally unnecessary nudity that it just became a big rolling fog of "Okay, more birthday suits and people juice. Eh."

Personally, what I find disturbing is more what Mushi-man was describing: things like Paranoia Agent or Lain where what you don't see or you're not being told just freaks the crap out of you. Constant violence and sex is just a big shrug for me, and in the case of Elfen Lied I would almost be anticipating it followed immediately by an "OOOOOOH SNAP!"

Well, i just recently finished watching Bokurano (awesome series, i recomend it ) and without blood, or gore of any kind, it managed to be mentally disturbing. Not because of things happening on screen, but in the characters minds. spoiler[ the dread of knowing you will die alone if you fight and win, or die with your world if you loose, knowing you cannot escape that fate no matter what, and all this for obscure reasons controlled by forces way over your understanding and for motives you cant even begin to grasp, can drive anyone mad. Those kids had balls. ]

plus, the awesome scene form Higurashi when spoiler[Shion stabs satoko]. classic.
Lil Kis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Grave of the Fireflies when Setsuko the baby girl is eating mud balls delusional that they are rice balls
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
One that always makes me feel a bit ill is the scenes from Birdy the Mighty Decode 2 when spoiler[Nataru kills the two twin aliens that take the bodies of small children, even though they're actually adults of their species I think. It's seriously brutal. ] Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 33