• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: High School DxD BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

I'm curious, did any of them use aliases or are they all real names?

At least 1 did. Morgan Garrett voices Yubelluna, Riser's Queen, and is credited as Mandy Lane
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
The english dub made the show far better then it truly is but that's not a bad thing at the end of the day. If you're going to be praising any rookie VA it should be Felecia Angelle who stole the show as Raynare.This is my second favorite dub from Colleen outside of Steins;Gate & Guilty Crown she is truly turning into one hell of a formidable ADR director.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I take back what I said on Hagani. Im not asking for a reviewer to love a harem but give it a fair shake. And I think that is what happens here.

The last few lines sum it up perfectly, its a little above average as a show, but shines as a title of this particular genre.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I watched the trailer for this for the heck of it several days ago when I was going through the Haganai Blu-ray extras, and I was rather impressed by what I heard of the dub there. With that and the positive word I've seen about it, I'm thinking I may give this a second viewing with the dub, even though I originally wasn't planning on it. I'm not really big on the fanservice-focused type of title, but I think I agree with Theron that this is one of the best of the recent ones I've come across. It was fun and I liked quite a few of the characters. I haven't gotten started on the second season just yet, though.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Well indeed did it oh yes saw the Funi's dub of High School DxD and indeed live up to excite level of dub watching anime to hear & see.

Give looking at casting list well since series got lots & lots of characters well Funi had to call sure from regular names voices such as Freeman, Saxton, & Jamie Marchi as Rias.

Then yet notice some fresh new names voices, upcoming fresh names voices, & some have not heard on it give looking at least like 30% percent of casting has batch of new names, fresh voice, & not heard indeed Funi did call-up a bunch from their develop training camp room roster.

Besides for example Akeno & Kiba we're so new names voice been call-up from Funi develop training camp roster to call in for it.

Yet see how cast list really must has hit lots of home runs on it pick of casting for mains, regulars, recurring, & guess roles due lots of characters effect on it even got person who did Kittan as Raiser which keep saying Raiser name a lot in 3rd person mode.

So indeed cast list mix of well known Funi voices with 30% of future batches of anime dub voices with ova eps & s2 on the corner oh indeed expect more on it.

On to the dub itself indeed too much good to hear in give Marchi or writing & Clinkenbeard on directing give two those also did Panty & Stocking dub behind the scene works oh yea here we go again.

Yet it deliver a lots so much indeed dub of the year mentions in it really hearing dub had same feel excite remind when i had Freezing anime dub i watch from last year but now more over excite level on me.

Really the saying on dubs indeed this so good to hear sure like hear it's plans for ova eps & s2 of it.

Overall the dub of High School DxD is worth the YES YES YES for a dub of year mentions of way really this so buy to have which showcase of dub casting mix of today's dub voice era & next gen dub voice this is WORTH IT.

& one more thing the Dub is just so want as much as same level as Freezing anime dub wait for ova eps & s2 til it come in.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I dont know why, but it's highly amusing when you talk about training camps as if Funi were a sports team
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:24 am Reply with quote
I agree with the sentiment that the dub was well done. Being a child of the 80's, the dub (especially Issei & his "buds") made me think of all the sex comedies I'd stay up late to watch on Showtime or Skinemax - think Porkies, H.O.T.S., Hollywood Knights etc.

I love that Riser refers to himself in the 3rd person, funny stuff.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
This review was very well considered. I thought the show was a bit below average rather than a bit above, but I can agree with everything else in it.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:21 am Reply with quote
For the most part, I agree with the review, though I don't know what Theron's problem with Jamie Marchi was. She seemed perfectly good to me, but then again, I haven't watched it in Japanese aside from the extras, so I don't really know how any of the cast compare to their Japanese counterparts, and I would guess that the Japanese VA for Rias has a rather different take on the role than Jamie did.

Overall, I was actually quite surprised by how much I liked this show. I didn't really know what to expect going in (except for a fair bit of fanservice), and I really didn't like the a good chunk of the first episode (much as I like the fanservice, I'm not a big fan of perverted characters constantly going crazy over anything approaching nudity and frequently trying to do perverted things and there was a greater focus on that initially than there is later). However, the show improved considerably once they started getting into the story and doing more with the non-human characters. The story and characters and fairly good on top of there being a lot of excellent fanservice. So, while High School DxD is certainly far from the best anime ever, I was very pleasantly surprised by how good it was.

FrameFreeze100 wrote:
There was also a lot of confusion that Chloe Daniels was an alias of Leah Clark (eventually proven to be a different person) so I find Theron's prediction that she'll become a regular a bit of a stretch...

How did you find out for sure that she isn't Leah Clark? I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I would like some supporting evidence, since she's such a dead ringer for Leah Clark that I have a very hard time believing that she isn't Leah Clark under an alias (and it's not particularly uncommon for VAs to use aliases with shows with this level of nudity - though the number of aliases for this particular show seems to be surprisingly low given how much fanservice there is).
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:50 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I don't know why, but it's highly amusing when you talk about training camps as if Funi were a sports team

training camps well give that give assume Funi also had own develop roster training place to prepare new anime dub voices.

besides with new names had in give with all know there so on stand-by for ova & s2 of DxD ready to dub.

really i think Funi trying mix match with today well known voices roster & next generation voice talents roster.

overall give expect more next batch of Funi anime be mix match casting someday.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
uh, ok

Kalessin wrote:

How did you find out for sure that she isn't Leah Clark? I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I would like some supporting evidence, since she's such a dead ringer for Leah Clark that I have a very hard time believing that she isn't Leah Clark under an alias (and it's not particularly uncommon for VAs to use aliases with shows with this level of nudity - though the number of aliases for this particular show seems to be surprisingly low given how much fanservice there is).

Leah cleared up the confusion on her facebook fanpage
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:03 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
very accurate review. I love the English script for this one.

Not to mention really rare for ecchi type series to get good grades. the last ones were Queen's Blade & Strike Witches.

Also i liked Asia's english dub voice ( even though in my opinion Rial would have been a better choice for this moe character ) BUT when it comes to soft tone female voices , i highly doubt any voice actress would outdo Steaphine Seph.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
which includes the Chess motif as a stand in for "power levels" {rankings makes more sense than numbers or levels, you have to admit that much}

Except the chess piece ranking has absolutely nothing to do with combat power levels which is easily seen in the novels (non plot related spoiler) spoiler[as Issei and Kiba both very quickly surpass Rias (and her other servants including Akeno)] and that is directly stated more than once.

The significance of the chess pieces is just that it effects what areas they are strongest in and in the case of queens, they serve as advisors in the affairs of their master.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:18 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
uh, ok

Kalessin wrote:

Leah cleared up the confusion on her facebook fanpage

Well, given that Chloe Daniels sounds exactly like Leah Clark, I find it very hard to believe and would guess that she's just trying to maintain the alias, especially when the only stuff that Chloe Daniels has done is a couple of shows which ANN lists as "Objectionable content: Intense." But thanks for the info.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
configspace wrote:

I'm curious, did any of them use aliases or are they all real names?

At least 1 did. Morgan Garrett voices Yubelluna, Riser's Queen, and is credited as Mandy Lane

I too was wondering about that after hearing Asia's english voice. though reading this review reversed any theories i might have came up with.

though for those that like a crapload of fanservice , second season would have more action combat sequences than perverted fanservice. dont get me wrong there will have them but not in abundance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3