• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gedo Senki Panned by Online Critics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Zac: Dude, they just laid off an executive whose business
decisions gave them the highest-grossing film of the summer.

I know but I think we both know "Di$ney" doesn't exactly serve as the high-minded criticism that many others apparently think it is. DISNEY MAKES MONEY EVIL EMPIRE

I mean, what's next, your stinging, insightful criticism of the corporate practices of Bill Gates, expressed by typing "Micro$oft"?

Also: we have someone who's gonna check out Gedo Senki for us and write up his impressions, so never fear.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Also: we have someone who's gonna check out Gedo Senki for us and write up his impressions, so never fear.

Excellent Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Good to hear that, I really want to see what kind of review this gets. It will also help that I will be able to read the reviews as well.
Sydney2K

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:39 am Reply with quote
Ursula Le Guin doesn't like it, for the same reason why she doesn't like the Sci-Fi adaptation- it plays around with the races and the physical description of characters. The dark-skin race has been lightened up, and one of the characters, who in the book suffered horrendous burn injuries, has only a mark on her "white" face.

"I expect most of the characters in the Ghibli films to be white-skinned", she said to Nigerian author Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu. "Cool, no big deal. But don't take a novel with darker-skinned characters and whitewash them just because it's too much trouble to do otherwise."

Le Guin does admit that at the very least the film will be "beautiful".

The source of this post was taken from Patrick Drazen's article in the August 2006 edition of Animation Magazine, which was distributed for free at Anime Expo (and where I picked up my copy.)

Widya Santoso
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:07 am Reply with quote
They lightened up the dark skinned characters? I thought that mostly Japanese films weren't really afraid to be somewhat offensive because they really don't have too many minorities to offend.
FuuH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The difference being that Jackson and Co. didn't butcher Tokien's work? Let's face it, there are only a very few uber-die-hard-purist fans of Tolkien who still think that the movies butchered the book(s).

er, I'm a fan of the movies, but honestly , the thing that ruins them for me is the fact that there were unneccessary changes to the Two Towers, which I think REALLY screwed the flow of the movies - that useless trip to Osgiliath with Faramir, which pushed back Shelob's appearance...that was totally useless. Really - it not only ruined what makes TTT's ending amazing in the books, but then in ROTK they did all these unneccesary changes with Frodo's character, such as telling Sam to bug off after Gollum did that whole lembas thing on the steps... The movies DID butcher the books, in a lot of useless ways, but the movies are still very good, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
OtacontheOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I don't really see Goro Miyazaki as having the same talent as his father... their upbringing is too different. Though, to be fair, I would probobly shoot myself if I had to carry on Miyazaki's legacy.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Sydney2K wrote:
Ursula Le Guin doesn't like it, for the same reason why she doesn't like the Sci-Fi adaptation- it plays around with the races and the physical description of characters. The dark-skin race has been lightened up, and one of the characters, who in the book suffered horrendous burn injuries, has only a mark on her "white" face.

"I expect most of the characters in the Ghibli films to be white-skinned", she said to Nigerian author Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu. "Cool, no big deal. But don't take a novel with darker-skinned characters and whitewash them just because it's too much trouble to do otherwise."

Le Guin does admit that at the very least the film will be "beautiful".

The source of this post was taken from Patrick Drazen's article in the August 2006 edition of Animation Magazine, which was distributed for free at Anime Expo (and where I picked up my copy.)

Widya Santoso

Wow, Haru to Ashura was right when he said that authors can be biased. Just look at the trailer for those who have access to it. Therru has increased pigmentation extending from her eyebrow to the lower back portion of her jaw on 1 side of her face. This hardly counts as a "mark" and is considered disfiguring imo. You can't give a really bad scar on someone like Therru who prob has alot of screen time in a film that kids are going to or they are going to be scared more than what they were.

The majority of people in this film's trailer were darker than most of the characters released in most anime today with the exception of African and Hispanic descent characters imo.

If anyone needs more examples of Ghibli drawn Caucasians, I suggest that you watch the Hawaii segment of Ocean Waves.

(This above statements assume that the trailer was an accurate representation of the final product.)
manasolb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

1. It deviates substantially from the book. In my honest and utterly stern opinion, this is probably the least tolerable "complaint" someone should actually have with any type of art or entertainment. If someone isn't prepared to accept a film based upon its own merits, instead of just judging it by its level of hereditary retrofitted-ness, then they should simply prep themselves beforehand for disappointment.
Lix's post

I went ahead and read the past posts. Overall I wanted to get both the different opinions and surmise how much a post could tell of how much is known of Tales of Earthsea. I for one am a huge fan of the Earthsea novels. I love these books. The books are not just about a characters color otherwise the novel will fail. These novels had philosophy in them on life that connects to everyone and those who study philosophy know it does not give answers but only helps elucidate what everyone knows already. BUT, the truth is the color of the characters is important.

Ghibli films are beautiful and carry the same truth that the novels have. I love these films (I especially like My Neighbor Totoro). Though done by Goro I pretty sure it will be a nice film to have at home.

As to the characters being whitewashed, it is what it is. It just reminds me of, those of us in the states can relate, of the new diesel buses with awesome hp and better fuel consumption. These buses made by a reputable a great company who has made buses for a while have had a line of hits and now they have a bigger better bus. Everyone should enjoy this bus as everyone should enjoy Gedo for what it is. We can enjoy it even though this bus says I as a colored man must sit in the back. But still I enjoy the automotive.

Ghibli animation for what it is, animation, surely I will enjoy it inspite of the whitewash but I still say, "Hey why can't I sit up front with the white superhero." Thank you ANN for your forum . Let's enjoy another ghibli film. Smile
faithlite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone taken a look at the other Yahoo! user reviews of other Ghibli movies? Virtually ALL of them are panned to some degree or another.

Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle all receive scores FAR lower than Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo.. and you wonder how that's possible. My guess is that there's an elitist agenda against Ghibli movies.
mako

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I skimmed through the newest 100 or so reviews quickly.

I saw a lot of people gave just 1 star and some gave 4 or 5 stars. Many of those who gave low scores said that they were big fans of Ghibli and they were upset because they think this movie doesn’t meet Ghibli’s standards.

What many people complained about was directing. Some were very surprised at the difference that directors can make even when they use pretty much the same staff.

A lot of people complained also that Ghibli started using people who are not voice actors. I’m not that much familiar with voice actors, but I noticed that some (or most?) of the people who played key characters were TV/movie/theatrical actors/actresses, not voice actors. There is also a character that is played by a member of an idol group (although he seems to have some sort of acting career as well).

I don’t know how many people liked the music, but those who mentioned music seemed to like it.

I am now really curious about this movie just because of these reviews and would like to see it!
Kouji

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't Kiki's Delivery Service terribly inaccurate to the original novel it was based on and didn't the author Kadano Eiko-san hate the movie for its changes yet isn't Kiki's Delivery Service still hailed as being one of Miyazaki-san's greatest masterpieces? So, if Gedo Senki is being bashed for being inaccurate to its source material, why are critics suddenly changing their tune about accuracy to source material now? And Howl's Moving Castle was inaccurate to the book too yet Diana Wynee Jones loved the movie in spite of the differences because to quote Ms. Jones herself, "I write novels, not movies." And let's not forget some other popular American movies that are major worldwide successes who are terribly inaccurate to their original source materials, like I don't know, maybe almost every Disney cartoon film in existence, or maybe The Wizard Of Oz?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
wushu-4-ever

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:34 am Reply with quote
For those interested I posted a load of Gedo Senki news + reviews over here:
http://www.ghibliworld.com/news.html#3007

More reviews are on the way! Wink

Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:56 am Reply with quote
I think something that people are forgetting here is that Ghibli is a corporation of people and can indeed do wrong. Sorry, I hate to burst the bubble of the people who obviously believe otherwise and are making up every excuse in the book as to why this film might be considered poorly by others, but Ghibli isn't perfect they're certainly capable of making a poor movie like any other studio.

As interesting as an anti-Ghibli evil agenda by some secret organization of pursts is, it's highly unlikely. Reviews of average users aside, we seem to be ignoring the fact that critics in Japan themselves have also panned the movie, it's just simply not getting any positive reviews anywhere aside form the mouths of Ghibli fanboy's who'd watch 2 hours of a stick figure running and praise it if Ghibli made it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raz_G

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:37 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Reviews of average users aside, we seem to be ignoring the fact that critics in Japan themselves have also panned the movie, it's just simply not getting any positive reviews anywhere aside form the mouths of Ghibli fanboy's who'd watch 2 hours of a stick figure running and praise it if Ghibli made it.

Really? Are there examples of reviews by professional critics who saw the film on the net?
Also, are there box-office numbers by now?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8