• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Mononoke' DVD Listed by U.S. Retailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonham

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
ChihiroFujisaki wrote:
So while the early Bakeneko arc was likely an upscale, Mononoke proper was done in HD? That makes the decision a bit more difficult. Then again, I wouldn't be losing too much if I went for the DVD, and some Mononoke is better than none.

Pretty much my opinion. I dunno if buying the DVD would encourage a Blu-Ray release, but either way Mononoke is something I've wanted to own for years. Didn't think a seven year old show that fell through the cracks due to shutdowns (Geneon, etc.) would ever be licensed, but I'll take it.

If true, this is the best anime license in a long time. Excited to finally own one of my favorite shows.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
OMG! Please let this be a real thing that is happening....

This show is in my top three wished for licences.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
This is potentially fantastic news! Can anyone inform me on this company, Cinedigm? Are they a licensor, distributor, both? Are they legitimate?
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
This is potentially fantastic news! Can anyone inform me on this company, Cinedigm? Are they a licensor, distributor, both? Are they legitimate?

I don't think anime is their main business, but they have released some over here, like From Up on Poppy Hill. They're also set to release A Letter to Mono.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:

They are a legit distributor. They are the company that releases most of gkids films, like Poppy Hill, Letter to Momo, and (not anime) a Cat in Paris. They also released Zatchbell, Yugioh, and Digimon, albeit in their edited dub formats.

So the japanese blu-ray release was 720p instead of full 1080p resolution? Thats weird, I've never really seen any blu ray anime release lower than 1080i. Any others like that?
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
They are the company that releases most of gkids films, like Poppy Hill, Letter to Momo, and (not anime) a Cat in Paris. They also released Zatchbell, Yugioh, and Digimon, albeit in their edited dub formats.

I am familiar with Gkids. Interesting that we haven't heard anything about the North American rights being licensed by anyone.
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely shocked that such an oddity like this has been picked up, and by a company I've never even heard of too! Of course now they're definitely on my radar after this. Mononoke is such a great show and I'm so thankful that it may actually get to see a proper U.S. release. As someone above mentioned, this is definitely one of the best (and most surprising) licenses to happen in a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
the price has gone down to $13.97. Hmm, wonder what this means

On the chance that this is read, Mononoke is a spin off right? Do I need to be familiar with the source material to be able to watch this
Raikuro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Even if it's just DVD instead of Bluray, not like $14 is exactly breaking the bank to show support for it. I normally avoid buying sub only DVDs but I liked Bakeneko a lot and will likely be getting this (assuming it isn't just a Princess Mononoke typo)

Quote:
On the chance that this is read, Mononoke is a spin off right? Do I need to be familiar with the source material to be able to watch this

Not really, but if you want to familiarize yourself with it's origin it's on Amazon too. (It says Vol 3, but the DVD can be enjoyed as a stand alone piece. It's story is completely unrelated to the previous two volumes):
http://www.amazon.com/Ayakashi-Samurai-Horror-Tales-Goblin/dp/B000OCZ2PC/
rabrek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Glad I didn't read this at work. Bad day to squeal like a girl. Laughing
Great news - I'm looking forward to this, and I'd gladly double dip if it hits blu-ray later.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:45 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
So the japanese blu-ray release was 720p instead of full 1080p resolution? Thats weird, I've never really seen any blu ray anime release lower than 1080i. Any others like that?

I cannot say for sure what is on the discs themselves. There is a rip of the JP Blu-ray floating around in 720p. The listing for the JP Blu-ray at Amazon is no help.

I believe most current anime series are shot in 720p24. How they are distributed on disc is another matter. You might this thread informative.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Raikuro wrote:
assuming it isn't just a Princess Mononoke typo)

Oh, damn, thats a good point. Cinedigm has released other studio Ghibli movies, so this is most likely a rerelease of Princess Mononoke. This would also explain the price.

Kinda sucks, but Im starting to think that that is more likely than New Video Group to suddenly license a 2007 anime out of the blue
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
OMG I do not check ANN for a couple days and I miss one of my most wanted licenses for years has finally happened.

I am in a state of shock...

edit: Okay reading through this thread and the guess that it is Princess Mononoke sounds unfortunately plausible. I knew it was probably too good to be true. That's what I call an extreme high and low. Sad
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
The Price is explained by it being the price of another series of Cinedign/Flatiron/New Video's releases. Digimon Adventure
How do they sell that cheap? Well, the first volume is apparently a dub only release and they squeeze 450 minutes onto 3 discs.
While you may be happy now, realize they may be selling you the barest bones release since S'More Entertainment decided they'd like a taste of the anime pie.

But it's my theory is that this price is a mistake made by Amazon. If you do want the series, order now and if they do release a nice product at a higher price, they may be forced to honor the early price. If it becomes evident it's a horrible release, cancel it.

That happened to me once when I ordered an Omnibus manga that Amazon mistakenly priced early at the usual sale price of a regular single volume.

If it were a GKids Princess Mononoke release the List Price would be the same as From Up On Poppy HIll, their other Ghibli film, 29.95 for DVD, 34.95 for a Blu-Ray. I would expect Princess Mononoke to be released on BLu-Ray by Disney at the same time as they release The Wind Rises some time later this year. That's their usual pattern, release an old title that would make a good companion as their new release at the same time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
noblesse oblige wrote:

They are a legit distributor. They are the company that releases most of gkids films, like Poppy Hill, Letter to Momo, and (not anime) a Cat in Paris. They also released Zatchbell, Yugioh, and Digimon, albeit in their edited dub formats.

See company#11015
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4