• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Mononoke' DVD Listed by U.S. Retailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Although I think it's the "brands" that do the licensing. I mean, Cinedign might be the distributor but I think it's the "Flatiron" group that is probably the licensor. It might be GKids though, they're different than Flatiron, who put out Digimon and Yu-Gi Oh, despite their name, they put out the adult and arty animation, but until now, no series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
Raikuro wrote:
assuming it isn't just a Princess Mononoke typo)

Oh, damn, thats a good point. Cinedigm has released other studio Ghibli movies, so this is most likely a rerelease of Princess Mononoke. This would also explain the price.

Kinda sucks, but Im starting to think that that is more likely than New Video Group to suddenly license a 2007 anime out of the blue

Quote:
edit: Okay reading through this thread and the guess that it is Princess Mononoke sounds unfortunately plausible. I knew it was probably too good to be true. That's what I call an extreme high and low. Sad

Listings over at Best Buy & DVD Pacific list this "Mononoke" as a 2-disc release, which tilts the chances more in favor for the TV series, as even the old Miramax release of Princess Mononoke from 2000 was only a single DVD. There's also the fact that I highly doubt a company would make a listing for a movie like Princess Mononoke & not use the full title... That's just dumb.

Also, is there any proof that Disney has "lost" any of the Ghibli movies from their deal with Tokuma Shoten? Miramax is a Disney subsidary, so unless that old deal broke apart then Princess Mononoke is likely still with Disney. With a BD release having come out this past December in Japan I guess we'll just have to wait I see if Disney will announce a new BD/DVD release for Princess Mononoke. Also, Cinedigm never licensed any Ghibli movies; they only distribute what GKids has the rights to.

Granted, either result would be awesome (either we get the first-time release of a neat TV anime or we get a new & improved release of a classic anime movie), but considering the facts (no "Princess" in the title, 2-disc release, no BD [because who would honestly re-release the movie without putting it out on BD?]) I'm still going with the TV series being what's listed.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
...Granted, either result would be awesome (either we get the first-time release of a neat TV anime or we get a new & improved release of a classic anime movie), but considering the facts (no "Princess" in the title, 2-disc release, no BD [because who would honestly re-release the movie without putting it out on BD?]) I'm still going with the TV series being what's listed.

I like this Sherlock Holmes thing you did here. Mostly because I want the TV series so much. Its been near the top of my wish list for so long now. Your theory about this release gives me hope. Anime smile + sweatdrop
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Also, is there any proof that Disney has "lost" any of the Ghibli movies from their deal with Tokuma Shoten? Miramax is a Disney subsidary, so unless that old deal broke apart then Princess Mononoke is likely still with Disney.

Disney sold Miramax in 2010 and both confirmed in 2011 they no longer hold the license to Mononoke Hime according to these reports:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/07/26/disney-princess-mononoke-rights-expire

http://www.japanator.com/princess-mononoke-is-no-longer-licensed-in-the-us-20023.phtml

http://www.animenews.biz/disney-confirms-princess-mononoke-no-longer-licensed-in-us-7015/

(The last link currently brings up a "maintenance mode" page which I'd imagine is temporary.)

Can someone help me understand how a two-disc set can cost less than $15? The Siren release in AU costs A$50. I cannot see this selling more than a few thousand copies in the US. How can it be worth all the effort to license, produce, and market a show at a price point which will probably gross less than $100K?
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:06 am Reply with quote
If it was Princess Mononoke though, where's the Blu-Ray? Not to mention that Cinedigm doesn't license Ghibli stuff themselves, they just put out whatever Gkids has. As well, Disney's the one who's been putting out the Ghibli Blu-Rays in Japan; I can't imagine it would be difficult for Disney in the West to release Princess Mononoke here.

As for why someone would release Mononoke, maybe the license was cheap and they saw an opportunity. Your guess is as good as mine, though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote
Ya know, would it friggin' kill Cinedigm to make some kind of public announcement that would clear up this confusion? How tough would that be?
mira810303

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
As much as I want this to be true, the "2 Pack" description on the Best Buy and Barnes & Noble listings is problematic. Makes it sound more like a combo release of two movies or something, although why the price point would be so low for a 2-pack of Ghibli films is beyond me.

There's just too much ambiguity across the board. Has anyone attempted to contact Cinedigm directly for clarification?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
Considering that you can buy the DVD from Disney (apparently just through their "movie club?), I'm pretty sure that means that they have the rights to Princess Mononoke.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
They could have a license to distribute whatever copies they still have from the 1999 release without owning the rights to release a new version on Blu-ray.

The fact that two DVDs are allegedly included in this release makes sense since the Siren Visual release of Mononoke also comes on two discs.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:34 am Reply with quote
http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?29572-Mononoke-to-be-distributed-by-Cinedigm/page3

Anime_Otaku35 wrote:
I just got confirmation that it is indeed the sequel to Ayakashi being released like we assumed. I emailed Cinedigm with the same link to the wikipedia page that I included in this post and they responded with this:

Quote:
Yes, this is in fact a complete collection of the series on DVD.

So, we are all indeed getting this series for an excellent price!

chronoclast wrote:
I got a reply from Cinedigm too. I asked about BD plans and language options. They put Princess Mononoke as the subject of their response which I assume was a mistake.

Quote:
Currently there are only plans to release a DVD of this title. The language is Japanese with English subtitles. This is the complete series on DVD.
ChihiroFujisaki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
Looks like we're really getting it! I'm very excited. Too bad about the lack of Blu-Ray, but if they release it later I wouldn't have lost too much anyway.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Still finding it kinda hard to believe, but...
here it is, from TRSI, July 15th Mononoke DVD Collection (S)
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:
Wow. Still finding it kinda hard to believe, but...
here it is, from TRSI, July 15th Mononoke DVD Collection (S)

Ordered so quickly

Well one less thing I have to import from Australia.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
Well done, New Video/Cinedigm. And that price - pretty much makes them the Yin to AoA's Yang, doesn't it?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Just posted my order as well. Thank you, Cinedigm!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4