• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2014 - Funimation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
So... they really don't have the license for the first season of Free!? What's the point in acquiring the 2nd season without the first season?... -_-
B.K.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping to hear SOMETHING about Evangelion 3.33. Might as well just import the subbed Hong Kong Blu-Ray at this point.
pureevil4

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I've stopped trying to understand any of Funimation's decisions. Still no official announcements on the Evangelion 3.33 delay, even officially stating why it's delayed.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:26 pm Reply with quote
sakurablossom143 wrote:
So... they really don't have the license for the first season of Free!? What's the point in acquiring the 2nd season without the first season?... -_-

Maybe they'll announce it once they have it dubbed and ready for release.

They did that with Karneval, and other titles. I think they do it for shows that aren't that mega-hits.

I see a pattern, if the show explodes in the west, they'll announce it right away, like how they did with Attack on Titan and Psycho-Pass, while more quite shows that had good enough streaming numbers will have the video rights announced once they're done making the product.
blucub

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I Just hope DBZ Battle of Gods doesn't wind up in release hell like Eva 3.33 has.

I think its because Funimation still wants to rake in what little money they could out of there little limited theater release while everyone that isn't blessed enough to live in CA, NY, or TX has to wait for the DVD/Blu-ray release when ever that may be.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I heard earlier today (on another forum, I guess this was someone that went to A/X) that Funimation not releasing 3.33 yet isn't their fault, but something to do with Studio Khara?

Initially I thought the holdup was Funimation redubbing some 3.0 lines, or getting a bad copy of 3.33 like parts of Europe, but now I don't know what to think.

It couldn't be something as simple as God Warriors short rights, huh? (Either they have it or they don't, like having to exclude the Fly Me to the Moon 1.0 and 2.0 trailers in later 1.11 DVD/BD releases.)

I don't care why the holdup's happening, as long as they could give an explanation as to what's going on, too. I guess whatever it is, it's important if they can't disclose it for legal reasons.
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Knowing nothing about the 3.33 release, I'd guess the delay's on the Japan side getting materials or some such to Funimation. They might be trying to prevent reverse importation, especially because it's SO much more popular in Japan than in NA.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
sakurablossom143 wrote:

Between this and the dead zone around Hellsing 9-10, I'm starting to feel as negatively toward Funimation as I do toward Viz. Viz seems to have gotten a tiny bit better at communicating with customers, but Funi seems to be going in the opposite direction.
jlaking

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Gina Szanboti"]
sakurablossom143 wrote:
the dead zone around Hellsing 9-10

If only FUNi had announced 9 and 10 two months ago.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Thank you! I missed that since I don't check in daily to read the news and con reports. I hadn't heard anyone mention it since the last time it was talked about at the end of Feb. so I assumed status quo. I don't mind being wrong about stuff like this!

Still doesn't let them off the hook for Free! though. Wink *grumble grouse* Btw, do you know of any other title where the second season was licensed and announced before the first season? I can't think of one, but my knowledge obviously isn't encyclopedic and my google-fu is weak.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Btw, do you know of any other title where the second season was licensed and announced before the first season?

yes, Sentai licensed season four of The Familiar of Zero before the other three over two years ago. they finally managed to get season 1 December of last year. no word on seasons 2 and 3.

They probably have or are very close to aquiring season 1 of Free, but season 2 likely took priority since it was airing this summer and wanted to be able to simulcast it as soon as possible. Otakon is next month and that's usually where they announce a lot of stuff
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:05 am Reply with quote
Ok, I admit, that's even more bizarre. Smile Thanks for the info.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
Speaking of unreleased FUNi licenses, what's the hold up on that 2000s Yamato anime film, and RE: Cyborg 009?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1