• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) irregular at magic high school (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Not sure... Here's where my knowledge of the anime and novel overlap and I can't remember where I heard it... Well spoiler tags just in case. spoiler[I know at some point he says he's not powerful enough yet to break free from the Yotsuba, which is why the siblings still need to put up with them.]
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Well it's over and the ending was crap. More like it just stopped. I'm sure they could have handled it a bit better than that. Last episode had some awesome action and... nuking.

That action scene with the Man-eating tiger and the students was awesome although I have no idea spoiler[how Lu Gonghu was defeated]. Which brings me to my main gripe with this show: lack of exposition. Although Vaisaga did help a lot, I was still often very confused about how magic works which is multiplied by the fact that magic seems to be very complicated in Mahouka. Also we really needed that flashback arc. Maybe they'll do that if we get a 2nd season.

Well I'll be giving this a decent rating. With a good soundtrack and pretty good opening and ending themes this show was very close to good. I just felt like this show was targeted towards the LN readers and only the LN readers could really appreciate this anime. Maybe they just wanted to get to the good stuff as fast as possible.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
What more would you want from the ending? spoiler[The invaders were beaten, their reinforcements were decimated, and everyone goes back to their everyday lives.] Granted it was simply the end of this incident, rather than an end to the overall story.

The exposition only really stopped during this arc. There was an Answerman question not long ago that asked why anime has so many info dumps, and this is why. I think some things were apparent from what was shown, while others got enough to give you an idea. Material Burst was called a "mass-energy conversion" spell, which is pretty self explanatory (e=mc^2, bitch). The most important thing was the explanation of Regrowth, which was given in full.

As for how spoiler[Lu] was defeated, spoiler[you see how Mayumi's ice bullet turned into gas, right? He breathed it in and it took him out from the inside.]

Also, have you been watching the "Yoku Wakaru Mahouka" shorts? They explain a lot there.

Overall, not much more to say that I haven't already. I like how it doesn't follow the typical model of episode division others LN adaptations use, but I think they should have cut down on the NSC to allow Yokohama more time to breath. It was pretty faithful to the source material so I like it for the same reasons I like the novels.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Well first of all why even include Maya saying that she should invite the two siblings over? It was just like a slap in the face. The ending should have been a bit more than just the end of an arc. They could've fitted a little epilogue or something in there. It was the last episode of the anime and the ending was like: *commercial brake*.... oh wait.

Miyuki freezing people is self explanatory. Masaki causing people to explode is not. spoiler[How exactly was Tatsuya using that nuke rifle? Linking with satellites and somehow placing himself at the target location? When he looked inside that ship what were those things that looked like amobae? What? Was Erika using earmuffs? How does vapor kill people? Desublimation? Why don't she just freeze the water inside him then?]

I haven't watched "Yoku Wakaru Mahouka". Didn't know such a thing existed.

I generally don't like info dumps, but here sometimes I felt like something awesome and important was going on, but I had no idea what it was.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Well I will miss this show. I enjoyed it.

I'm okay with these types of endings... Although I can see why others wouldn't be. I liked that (for what was going on) everything was resolved and at the end gives you a bit of a hook for hopefully another season.

As for the spoiler[Nuke rilfe the first time he used it they said that he was able to focus it on 1 drop of water. That's what you were seeing, a single drop of water. Since it is a Mass Energy Conversion spell it would appear that 1 drop of water was what caused the explosion. As for the second explosion.... I would like to know what he focused on... the Mast of the ship, the ship it self, either way that one was crazy big.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
"We'll pay them back twofold!" That's the lowest bar for revenge I've ever seen. Laughing

That was ok. It was fun in parts, and dull in others. And Tatsuya is awesome at suffering, so yay? I'll watch more if they make it, won't care at all if they don't.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Well first of all why even include Maya saying that she should invite the two siblings over?

It's just a little tease. It shouldn't raise any burning questions like, say, Attack on Titan's ending did.

Cam0 wrote:
Masaki causing people to explode is not.

Perhaps, but is it really necessary to know how he causes people to explode?

Cam0 wrote:
spoiler[How exactly was Tatsuya using that nuke rifle? Linking with satellites and somehow placing himself at the target location?]

spoiler[They were targeting satellites. Him placing himself there was just a visualization of him using his Elemental Sight.]

Cam0 wrote:
spoiler[When he looked inside that ship what were those things that looked like amobae? ]

Like Crusher said, spoiler[it was a water droplet.]

Cam0 wrote:
Was Erika using earmuffs?

Yeah, though that's not really an important detail. If you must know, it's because her sword makes a lot of noise when smashing things.

Cam0 wrote:
spoiler[How does vapor kill people? Desublimation? Why don't she just freeze the water inside him then?]

spoiler[Who got killed by vapor? If you mean what Mayumi did to Lu, the ice she fired was dry ice so he got carbon dioxide poisoning.]

Crusher X303 wrote:
As for the spoiler[Nuke rilfe the first time he used it they said that he was able to focus it on 1 drop of water. That's what you were seeing, a single drop of water. Since it is a Mass Energy Conversion spell it would appear that 1 drop of water was what caused the explosion. As for the second explosion.... I would like to know what he focused on... the Mast of the ship, the ship it self, either way that one was crazy big.]

spoiler[It was the flag pole. Material Burst works by decomposing matter into energy, so it follows Einstein's formula of energy equals mass times the speed of light squared. 50 miligrams of water = 1000 tons of TNT. A 1 kilogram flag pole = 20,000,000 tons of TNT.]
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:55 am Reply with quote
Ok I think this is far enough. I don't want to come off as a jerk who just hated this show because I actually quite liked it. I just felt like I was often lagging behind, still trying to figure out what happened a few moments ago when they are already advancing to the next thing. Like for example when Hirakawa Chiaki spoiler[revealed that she was out for vengeance because of what happened to her sister. After that I was wondering the whole episode that who the **** is Chiaki's sister?]

Vaisaga wrote:
spoiler[Who got killed by vapor? If you mean what Mayumi did to Lu, the ice she fired was dry ice so he got carbon dioxide poisoning.]

Did they ever tell us that she was shooting carbon dioxide? I think they only mentioned that her magic was similar to Miyuki's.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 26 (final)

Never was it this apparent that Tatsuya is pretty much spoiler[a WMD]. I can see why maybe they would spoiler[supress so many emotions and powers within him, he can regenerate himself and others instantaneously, vaporise anything within his line of sight, and nuke entire armies]. There is a lot of spoiler[trust in just having something like that exist].

There was a lot of hype with this show, and it just could not live up to it. The decision of expressing the in-depth explanations which is a big part of the story just did not translate very well into the chosen anime medium. There were some pretty good moments in how things could be visualised, and I know at least one set of music, actually I think even when they did dubstep it worked exceptionally well with the style. Overall the rating I give it is Decent, it is pretty low and I think it is because they took way too long to show Tatsuya as anything more than an awesome Gary Stu like character, or show characters other than him stand out. I think my favourite arc may have been the competition, it gave a chance to have other characters stand out and was quite entertaining to watch.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:56 am Reply with quote
I wanted to like this show, and maybe it didn't get enough time to do the source material justice. I heard great things about the LN.

Tatsuya is just way too damn strong. It sucked all the tension out of what is supposed to be a drama. If a guy can heal himself or anyone else instantaneously, in addition so wiping out any enemy in the same amount of time, there's no logical counter for that unless the story can manufacture one, which it showed no interest in doing. It isn't that he never lost, it's that he was never even challenged. You never got the feeling he had to really push himself.

I liked the rest of the cast, but it was like they weren't even relevant. Everyone else in the series was basically an ant. They were helpful by default. It's a shame because I appreciated the varied abilities used by the rest of the group, and they're all very strong, but they're completely lost in tatuya's shadow. Even when they win the competition in the second arc, it's because they're using the equipment he engineered. They only reason they get to defeat anyone at all in the third arc is because he didn't get there first.

But hey, the foreign bad guys were Chinese for once instead of American...so that's a switch?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I don't want to come off as a jerk who just hated this show

You don't, and if it seems like I'm treating you that way it's accidental. If you have questions, I have answers. I'm just trying to point out where the show itself indicates what's going on, rather than just relying on info from the novel.

Cam0 wrote:
Like for example when Hirakawa Chiaki spoiler[revealed that she was out for vengeance because of what happened to her sister. After that I was wondering the whole episode that who the **** is Chiaki's sister?]

They did explain who Chiaki's sister was, though. She was the engineer who was responsible for the competitor who lost her magic during the NSC.

Cam0 wrote:
Did they ever tell us that she was shooting carbon dioxide? I think they only mentioned that her magic was similar to Miyuki's.

That it was CO2 is something I did pull from the novels (I had actually forgotten the specifics until I checked after the episode). But to me I didn't really need to know such specifics since I thought the visuals shown made it clear enough what happened.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Never was it this apparent that Tatsuya is pretty much spoiler[a WMD].

Exactly. I dunno about you guys, but I wouldn't want to live that kind of life.

Bugnin wrote:
Tatsuya is just way too damn strong.

Guess I'm one of few who doesn't mind this sort of protagonist. I like Superman and I like Golgo 13, but I understand why others wouldn't. Still I think the series does a better job handling such a protagonist than most. His challenges don't come in the form of strong opponents, but in the form of trying to live a normal life and solving problems without exposing himself. Tatsuya fails at that constantly and over time the people around him begin figuring out his secrets. It's only going to get harder for him now that he's quite literally changed the world.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
They did explain who Chiaki's sister was, though. She was the engineer who was responsible for the competitor who lost her magic during the NSC.

Well they sort of explained it. But since the competitor and the sister were both very minor characters, explaining wasn't enough. All I would have needed was a glimpse, like show a picture of the person in question for 1 second and I would have immediately known who they were talking about. Throwing around names of some characters that were mentioned once a few episodes ago doesn't really work for me. There's no way I'm going to remember the name of every throwaway character.

Last edited by Cam0 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
For me Tatsuya being so powerful was one of the reasons I loved this show so much. It is nice to have a show were the main character isn't constantly getting his butt handed to him or having to go off somewhere to "train" and come back to stand a chance against his opponent.

I don't mind when there are weak protagonist who have to better themselves and train, but I like it when a show has a character who is who he/she needs to be already and can get the job done. For me (since I don't generally read manga) seeing what Tatsuya was going to do, what string of crazy magic he was going to pull off to beating the people who constantly think he was some weak magician was quite fun and entertaining.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Crusher X303 wrote:
For me Tatsuya being so powerful was one of the reasons I loved this show so much. It is nice to have a show were the main character isn't constantly getting his butt handed to him or having to go off somewhere to "train" and come back to stand a chance against his opponent.

I don't mind when there are weak protagonist who have to better themselves and train, but I like it when a show has a character who is who he/she needs to be already and can get the job done. For me (since I don't generally read manga) seeing what Tatsuya was going to do, what string of crazy magic he was going to pull off to beating the people who constantly think he was some weak magician was quite fun and entertaining.

Well, you can't be the only person since we, Americans, like powerful hero, example, superman, batman, etc. I have to agree that training is overrated and waste of pages/time
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't actually mind that Tatsuya is OP, but I think there were a couple of problems with how it was laid out for the viewers.

At the beginning, I thought this could be an interesting look at him having to endure the abuse of the Blooms when he could wipe the floor with all of them. But that was soon shoved aside for other problems. Ok, fine, let's go with how he keeps his secret identity secret then. That could be interesting, but we weren't really let in on what he was hiding or the stakes involved in hiding it until far too late.

If the protagonist is hiding a secret and even the viewers don't know what he's hiding or how big the secret really is, the problems he encounters in hiding it don't have the power and resonance they should. It's like if the Superman saga had spent 30 issues showing Clark Kent being more clever than he appears, with slight hints that there might be a secret behind that, with Superman finally appearing on the scene with issue #31. The comic would have died in its infancy if they'd taken that route.

The second problem is Miyuki's incestuous displays toward Tatsuya. If she had simply behaved like a loving sister, sympathetic to his plight and sacrifices, proud of his accomplishments, supportive of his efforts - that would have been great, but all those feelings were turned into a joke when she wets her panties with every look he casts in her direction. It completely subverted what should have been an asset in humanizing Tatsuya for the viewer, and it kind of dehumanized Miyuki at the same time.

Even just more of the story from Tatsuya's pov would've helped. It's really hard to relate to a character who seems to have no internal life. Yes, it's hard to pull that off when he literally has no emotions but he still thinks and we hardly even got to see him think, only the results of his thoughts. Tatsuya is almost always viewed externally. It was those all-too-rare moments when we were shown the gears turning in his head that he became interesting as a character and not just a Gundam-like prop (i.e., Gundams are the central figures in their series, but that doesn't make them characters).

The series had a bunch of other problems that people have mentioned, but they would have been more easily overlooked if the writers had taken a different approach to allowing the audience to relate to Tatsuya and his trials.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 31 of 34