• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) irregular at magic high school (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh boy, I expected the last comment to have been from a while back given the last time a Mahouka episode came out, 2020 is going a bit too far back though. Anyway, season 3 has started and it was a pretty strong beginning. Lots of familiar faces and plenty of new ones too, some of them rather quirky. It is nice to see that the school has changed the bloom/weed thing by adding a third option given props to how valauable a good magical engineer can be. It also looks like the Chinese faction is stirring up shit again, or rather, they have never stopped doing so.

The animation looked nice, I do wonder how rushed things will be since they are going to adapt 5 volumes in (probably) 13 or so episodes.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:42 pm Reply with quote
The show is, oddly, sort of a comfort food. For some reason I really like this sort of OP MC with a stunted personality- slowly learning he might actually have an identity of his own.

So, I've seen the available stuff a number of times, but one YT commenter I caught said the movie (never released in the US) might be helpful to watch... Not the most trusted channel, really, but I've decided to search it out. I found a source and meant to watch it last week, before being distracted. So, maybe I'll watch it and the new episode this weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
minamikaze

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
So, I've seen the available stuff a number of times, but one YT commenter I caught said the movie (never released in the US) might be helpful to watch... Not the most trusted channel, really, but I've decided to search it out. I found a source and meant to watch it last week, before being distracted. So, maybe I'll watch it and the new episode this weekend.

Aniplex released the movie on blu-ray in the US. I bought it at the Crunchyroll store in December (along with rest of the series during the Aniplex sale they were running). Unfortunately, the movie appears to be out of stock now. Apparently, it was streamed on the Funimation site too, but it isn't available on Crunchyroll.

I'm assuming you already knew this, but just in case: even though the movie was released between the first season and the second season (visitor arc), it takes place right after the end of the second season.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:10 pm Reply with quote
@Spastic Minnow

While the movie is fun in its own right, it doesn't add or subtract from the established continuity. It is not part of the novel continuity. If you have seen the second season, you have everything you need to go into the new season.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:50 pm Reply with quote
If you have read either the LN or manga, you know they have jumped over something that will have relevance later in this arc. Before the start of this next school year, spoiler[ there is a welcome home party for Shizuku at the Kitayama house. At this party the Shibas meet a certain actress that has an influence on the young Mr. Shippou.]
As has been stated by smurkey turkey, I to wonder how they plan on stuffing at least 4 LNs worth of info into a short season. I do hope this goes longer than 12 - 13 episodes or that they have a second cour. I can see doing the Double Seven and Steeplechase Arcs in one cour (each one LN a piece) then the Ancient City Insurrection Arc (two LNs) as a stand alone cour. We will just have to wait and see how it plays out.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:32 am Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
I'm assuming you already knew this, but just in case: even though the movie was released between the first season and the second season (visitor arc), it takes place right after the end of the second season.

I watched the movie. It is a good show, I like the way it expands a little more in the way that Tatsuya may be showing his own emotions and motivations despite his belief that they have all been repressed. That is Tatsuya's character arc.

It's not exactly set "at the very end" of the second season, rather it's set directly after Lina goes home and before the terrorist strike on the tower.

Episode 1
Character intro time. I like the twins. Shippou seems like a done character and a done plot, but we'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:18 am Reply with quote
@Spastic Minnow

Both the movie and the terrorist attack on the tower are anime original.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:55 am Reply with quote
Ah... I just looked up how Minami was introduced in the novels in the fandom wiki. Just sent to the house with no introduction (although they already know her as a servant there). I like the anime intro more. Although the description of Minami in the wiki (a serious servant, guardian, and long-time maid at the main house) seems to contradict her less confident, less experienced, portrayal in the anime.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Minami is upset and off her feed. so to speak, because Miyuki will not let her do her maid work around Tatsuya. (Waiting on Tatsuya is Miyuki's job Wink )
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:39 pm Reply with quote
The world and story are still fascinating with multiple events/groups taking action. We have the feud started by Shippou for some as of now unclear reason, said feud almost ended up in a public magic fight making them both look real unprofessional (though it did stop the argument they were responding to I suppose). As for the disinformation campaign, seems like not China plus the humanists are making headway in turning the populace against magicians. The countermeasure done by Seagusa pops make sense but will probably end up causing some incident (life at that school sure is dangerous).

On the negative side, the animation is weird this season. It is a mix of 3D/2D with some haze/filter and it is not particularly great or pleasant looking.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 pm Reply with quote
A rather refreshing episode this week. One of the reasons for that is that seeing those reporters and Kanda being humbled and frustrated was priceless. Another refreshing thing is how much of a mess Takuma is, most of the mages we see in the show are emotionally balanced/steady and he is very much not that. Finally it is nice to have Tatsuya be able to bite back a bit towards his family.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:33 am Reply with quote
Yes, it is priceless to see a pompous politician put in his place. I wish it would happen more IRL.
The short scenes at the beginning of the episodes have so far showed the 2095 part of LN volume 8, the Reminiscence Arc. The memory that Miyuki is referring to last week was the 2092 portion of this LN that we saw in the extended stand-alone episode. If they continue to follow this pattern, spoiler[dinner with Maya is next and this is where the Shiba's first meet Minami. In the LN, Major Kazuma is also present to give his report of what happened at Yokohama last week.] We know that Maya's reference to the USNA leads us into season 2 of the anime, the Visitor Arc.
For those that are only following this in the anime, you are missing out as to Takuma's motivation for hating the Seagusas and the Shibas. I will refer you the spoiler in my post from a couple of weeks ago to give you a hint for that. If you want all the information, get volume 12 of the light novels. Again, I feel that this information will have relevance later in this arc and an upcoming one, too.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:13 pm Reply with quote
A fair bit of magical fighting this week. It was nice to see Shippou get a punch and a bitter defeat, maybe he will become less of an overly agressive ass now. Otherwise I have to give kudos to Tokitsuka for being far more capable than I thought. His magic cancelling cloak plus his hand to hand combat skills make a nasty combo.

I also had to laugh at the post credits bit, the Yotsuba are basically complaining that the monster they created is too difficult to manage. Anyway, that was a solid arc, I am sure that some source material was cut bit it did not feel rushed.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I rewatched the 4 episodes as an arc. Then I went to the fandom wiki and read the synopses of the chapters to see what was omitted.
.. Still tryng to figure out what "Double Seven" refers too? Not explained in the episodes or the chapter descriptions.
Was that a name for the two anti-magician propaganda plans that were being launched or the twins or the two feuding families? Maybe something to do with the omitted "Sawamura Maki" character?

Nananana?
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:04 pm Reply with quote
The Double Seven was hinted at when Takuma was mouthing off to his father. He mentioned the 7th Institute, of which both the Shippou's and Seagusa's came from.
As I have said previously, there has been a lot cut that will be needed later to make sense of some things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 34