• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mr. Osomatsu (TV) (all seasons + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:02 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 8

Coming right after a tidbits episode with lots of skits, into an episode with a simple single premise, without much zaniness. Following the group of them on a trip felt really back to basics, going just off of what their personalities are in a fairly mundane setting, and it was kind of refreshing, although probably not every episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:40 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 10

I think that actually got tears in my eyes from the funny. The surprise return of two previous gags. The first starting off from a covid aware place, transitioning to be about some those sorts of shows that are known as ninja warrior in the west, seemingly failing. Before the surprise spoiler[return of F6, who break all the rules and do the whole thing with cliche bishie moments].

The second segment what seems to be a lowkey hidden werewolf among us moment, which from shadow over Karamatsu's death moment should be enough to know that it would probably be Ichimatsu at least playing the character. Really just wonderful silly moments of not seeing the obvious werewolf, and when Osomatsu was about to reveal what his role was after so much wasted time I could guess he would supposed to be more useful than a fortune teller, like specifically a detective. Little to know spoiler[he was not just any detective but the Calming Detective from I think season 1]. And it managed to get even more wonderfully stupid after that. Not even mad from the overused extended jump cut scene.

The episode just felt like it went back to the great parts like the lost first episode of the first season, and one of the skits I fondly remember.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:20 am Reply with quote
I think the Zansu competition was a play on Unbeatable Banzuke, the forerunner of Sasuke, aka Ninja Warrior. I am probably wrong, but I think "zansu" might also be a verb form of "decapitation." And I suspect some of the faces in the audience were supposed to be previous rl competitors, since they didn't look much like the usual random character designs. Lol at "We've completely blown past the time limit, but nobody cares!"

Was the werewolf murder house from the first season or was it from the murder episode of Pop Team Epic? The jump cut scene was like Endless Eight. Crying or Very sad
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:35 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 18

I wonder what thoughts are on this episode. Osomatsu happens to catch Nyaa's baby from falling over, and she gets a crush on him, she is not detered at all by everyone trying to warn her against Osomatsu and eventually agrees to a date with Osomatsu. Osomatsu is shaken by it actually going to happen, that he wants to avoid the whole thing, Totoko speaks to him, he seems to get the courage to go along, Nyaa wakes up realising something and seems to break it up.

Questions are left of whether Nyaa just realised how bad Osomatsu is, that her affection was something passing, and got out. But I have a different idea, I think that Nyaa realised that Totoko actually likes Osomatsu, understood why Totoko was being so serious about trying to get in way, and broke it up to stop maybe a rift between Totoko and herself. Totoko's meeting Osomatsu to give him some sort of speech was along the lines of a girl deciding to put her feelings aside to tell the guy she likes to treat her friend well. Osomatsu himself has always had the best chemistry with Totoko, although would have maybe been interesting to see him and Nyaa, or maybe any actual advancement of anything.

Osomatsu of course has some awful characteristics, the episode alone had him day drinking in public, and how the dinner went down. But I don't think he is irreversible, in fact I see him as actually far more sensitive than he lets other people believe, thus why he was hiding after being shocked that his joke of asking on a date actually got a response. The general serious stuff of Osomatsu has in my opinion shown someone who is pretty insecure in himself as a person, he in the past defined himself as the leader of his brothers, but as they have drifted to their own things he is terrified of who he is without that. Which is why he even sabotages himself in getting along with others, because if they don't like him he can just blame it on that, rather than trying his best to get someone to like him and failing to show that he is just inherently pointless. He has no idea how to respond when someone says they actually like him, because he thinks that he is going to screw it up.

Maybe all the brothers have some element of that, they are afraid of failure, but for all the jokes, I think it is Osomatsu who the most purposefully sabotages himself.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:50 am Reply with quote
Trying to get caught up here.

15) That was a totally random episode. Only female mosquitoes bite, so he'd be stymied anyhow. Smile

16) Loved the RoboCop and They Live parodies. Iyami was actually kinda cool for once.

17) Like the brothers (and others apparently), I didn't know what imoni was either, so I stopped and looked it up, falling down a couple of rabbit holes along the way. I'm glad I did, since I actually got the jokes about the battles over potatoes vs taro, beef vs pork, and miso vs soy sauce. And imagine my surprise when they whipped out the crane I'd just seen on YT, right down to the design of the bucket. Very Happy

18) I honestly have no idea which take is the one they intended us to get out of it. I kinda lean toward a mix, i.e., you're right about Totoko's motives, but Nyaa just realized she was infatuated because he saved her baby and the baby smiled at him, plus being contrary to the pressure to avoid him. Her swooning certainly had a masochistic edge to it. Maybe she woke up to that too. We don't know who her baby daddy is, do we? That could have something to do with her feelings too.

The neighborhood plan to discourage her was pretty funny, with even his parents warning her away. I hit on their ultimate plan long before they did - just give him enough rope and he'll self-destruct on his own. Smile

I did get a kick out of Choromatsu's Journey though. "I plan to ride buses until I reach London..." cut to shot of a train speeding down the tracks.

Still 2 episodes behind, but I think 4 Osomatsu-sans is all I can handle at one sitting. Though I guess marathoning 6 would've been appropriate. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:42 am Reply with quote
"Wanabe Detectives" in Ep 22 was the most fun I've had with this since the start of the season, even with them hammering home some of the jokes. The endless barrage of catch phrases and the running up the stairs, and down, plus the death scenes killed me. It's one of those sketches I wish I could've watched (with subtitle glasses!) being recorded, because I don't know how they made it through without falling down laughing. Professionals, they are!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I thought at one point it was maybe going on too long with some of its jokes, but then it just made the joke go on longer and became even funnier. Although, I was kind of into it since the fake intro, which had everything being incredibly corny. I imagine that understand Japanese live action shows would be required, but it felt pretty spot onto other stuff. The general joke being how those things meant to be cool really are not when people are trying it.

Also had Osomatsu and Jyushimatsu together, I can't think of many particular skits that focus on those two as a duo.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
"Wanabe Detectives" in Ep 22 was the most fun I've had with this since the start of the season, even with them hammering home some of the jokes. The endless barrage of catch phrases and the running up the stairs, and down, plus the death scenes killed me.

I have to agree, this was one of the funnier bits in a while, and I was certainly smiling and chuckling. The weird drawn out hide and seek at the end however wasn't funny to me. Still, good episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote

Well, last week's was better, with the new Six trying to kill them off. This was a really sorry episode to go out on, though it did have a couple of poignant moments. There was nothing funny about it at all really. Dunno if they'll do another season or not. I'll watch if they do, since sometimes they strike gold.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:05 am Reply with quote
Season 3, Episode 25 (finale)

I would make a point that a flaw of the series that pervaded this season, is that it feels like it has maybe gone on too long, that them all being stuck in almost the same shape they were from the beginning. But it also seemed like this last episode itself was aware of this, since there was this overwhelming melancholy that the characters are bored with the sort of life they have ended up with, and perhaps are well aware of lacking the needed motivation to move forward. On a personal note I am going to try how some aspect of it feels all too familiar and or relatable.

The season had some good parts, but also some flops, really being a mixed bag like usual. And I do think I am getting a bit bored of the no movement thing, although this season did give the Riceballs, and some things with Totoko, Nyaa-chan and her baby, although I would not really call it a big narrative or anything.

My rating is Decent (6/10), I didn't lose my time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9