• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kemono Jihen (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:11 am Reply with quote

Kemono Jihen (TV)

Genres: action, drama, horror, mystery, supernatural
Themes: demi-humans, demons, spirits

Plot Summary In a quiet rural village, many domestic animals die unnatural deaths in a strange incident. To resolve the incident, an odd-looking man from Tokyo who goes by the name "Inugami" comes to the town to investigate. In the town, he meets a young boy who has a mysterious air about him called "Dorotabō."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:10 am Reply with quote
Hmm.. Junichi Suwabe and Natsuki Hanae; two other seiyuu from a couple of popular demon-themed shounen series. And then Daisuke Ono and Kana Hanazawa, too?

Looks much campier and less gritty than Jujutsu or Kimestu, but I'll give it a shot.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 01: Kabane

Well, the key art through me off. It's much darker than I thought it'd be; not quite the level of the first episodes of KnY or JJK, which are both also very stylish and hard to top, but I feel this has a lot of potential.

I know nothing about this series, other than what's been presented in the first episode. I'm hoping it'll go more of a detective route, 'cause I think that would really help set it apart from the other two wildly popular demon/spirit-themed shows. Maybe the protagonist group will have some random spirit cases to solve in arcs, a la Ghost Hunt or something, and then have a central plot point that's building in-between all that as the series goes on?

I will say the art and music are pretty good, so far. The background art, in particular has very fine detail and a huge stylistic contrast between the more simplistic countryside setting and the bright lights of Tokyo. I also really like the score, whoever's doing it.

But yeah, the tone of the show feels like it really shifts when they get to Tokyo. I'm interested to see where this goes.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I liked the first episode as well and I'm eager to meet the rest of the gang.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I have a positive reaction from the first episode too. The episode did have dark elements up to the monsters coming in, and the abuse the kid received, but was pretty cute when he got that little hoodie at the end. There can be some contrast.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

You hand me a gender ambiguous character, I am probably going to pay attention. I know he said that he is a boy, and seems a bit worked up about being misgendered, but also looking at him.

I oddly enjoyed this little tale where spider boy was a little too hostile to the ghoul kid that suddenly showed up and was wearing some of his clothes, because it is clear that he has some problems of his own, and would totally warm up to him.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 02: The Kemonoist

We get to meet more of the group in Shiki and Akira. Both of their attitudes are fairly different from one another, so I think it'll help spruce the group dynamic a bit. I feel Shiki will represent the hard, in-your-face aggressor type, while Akira will be the more laid-back voice-of-reason.

My main highlight of the episode, though, was what I was hoping to see from this series: some freaky cases of kemono encounters, a little bit world-building from what they are and how they work, and even the bonus of a morality tale as a result from dealing with said case. It very much reminds me of Mushishi, albeit way more horrific and terrifying. But with the over-the-top nature I feel this show is trying to establish, I feel it can be its own thing and still be really entertaining.

I'm also really glad that kemono can, apparently, be seen by anybody and not just spirit, monster, demon, etc. types. I think this will make the show that much more engrossing, in that anybody can participate and be part of the plot at any given point. I'm actually wondering if there are any regular ole humans in the agency's ranks. It would be cool to see a guy or gal that doesn't have any spirit powers, per say, but is just really knowledgeable in kemono lore, and maybe has some artifacts or something for protection.

Production-wise, I noticed when the gang got to the house to investigate, they tried to imitate a kind of documentary / shaky-cam vibe. That was a very subtle touch and interesting that they would add that, as I don't recall seeing that sort of thing used in too many recent titles I've watched. I think it adds a slight feeling of urgency to the situation, so that's kinda' neat.

Definitely looking forward to more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
I'm liking the team. I guess there's going to be one more member who I believe we'll meet next time. Also glad to get a tease of a female presence at the end. This show is a bit of a sausage fest, gotta get some estrogen in there.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 03: Foxes

We are introduced to more members of the cast: Inari and Kon, who are both kitsune (fox demons). Inari seems outright dastardly. Maybe it's supposed to be a thing where whatever animal a kemono is themed after, they take on their personality? Inugami = dog = loyal and courageous; Shiki = spider = jumpy and brash; Inari = fox = cunning and sly. Although, it's also interesting that we have two foxes, but Kon is way more simple-minded and suggestible. I guess since she's a child, it's implying children, in general, are just more suggestible?

Anyway, Inari definitely has ulterior motives, and I think it's kinda' cool to have that in the protagonist group dynamic. I say "protagonist" because she obviously isn't on the level of being an enemy to humanity (that we know of, yet), so maybe it's okay to say she's more along the line of an anti-hero, for now? Totally did not see spoiler[ Kabane's decapitation] coming. That was quite a surprise.

We also get a tiny bit more world-building and learn how their sign outside the building attracts kemono, which really reminds me of Mushishi, and I love it. I'm sure this will be much more action-packed with sprinklings of gore, comparitively. But I really hope they have a good mix of solving kemono problems and the fallout or lesson to be learned from said encounters, while also laying the groundwork for a central plot.

Only thing I can think of that might top the whole "Kemono Case Files" approach, would be if there was a secret society of kemono baddies. But then it would be exactly like Jujutsu or Kimetsu. Hoping this sticks more to the former.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 04: Mission

As I had hoped for, this episode gave us some more of the "Kemono Case Files." In fact, we got two cases in one episode. And not only did they solve them, they actually helped build a little character for Kabane and Akira.

Kabane's was pretty interesting. He's generally so stoic and matter-of-fact, but had his first lesson in "love." Of course, it's a very broad understanding of the term, to him. But as emotionless as he comes off, I feel it was a nice, quirky way for him to learn the value of living and the power of kindness/affection. We'll see if these lessons stick with him for later arcs.

Akira's case was a little more typical: facing fear. There are lots of things people can be scared of. But for Akira in particular, if he's gonna' find his lost twin brother (a fairly big reveal), he'll need to develop a kind of strength to overcome potential obstacles until he reaches that goal. His brother seems to have a weird hybrid belief of Darwinism mixed with using strength to protect the weak. But he also seems pretty straight-laced, which I think could make him either a pro- or antagonist whenever they actually run into him, later. So that could be something to look forward to.

We also get more kemono types: cat, snow, and frog. I'm really liking the diversity. And like I mentioned for Episode 03, it seems the kemono are mimicking a bit of their "animal personalities." The snow people aren't really animals, but I guess their "coldness" is fairly apparent. I also like how the previews don't tell you squat. It gives the show an extra 30 seconds to animate something, while leaving me totally surprised for what comes next.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

I guess the cold never bothered Akira anyway. Maybe bothered the other three as they seem to be doing a bit hard.

There was an ice castle after Akira mentioned the idea by alluding to Frozen. And now Akira's friends are frozen.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:37 am Reply with quote
And here I thought Akira was ... right... to protect him but it was done to protect...the other ... boy.

Here's my initial thinking: "Well the stories are usually about Snow Women so having it be not just a Snow Boy but two of them, that's suspicious" so I reached my own conclusion about it sooner. The bath scene in particular had me rolling my eyes, with Akira in a full body towel wrap but I said I wouldn't bring it up until the show decided to address it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Looks like it all ended happy, Akira's brother was not killed, and can kind of act as a springboard for Kabane to find out about his parents. I could see another season coming about. Which would be good, where for example I would say that Kon was in a lot less that I would have hoped, being abandoned at a park, and the end seemed to imply that she would be closer now. It kind of being an open secret she has been sent for a purpose, because Kon is far too much unable to hide her intentions.

Pretty sure I said it already, but I really liked Akira's character, an as called male character, with much more feminine traits, like social networking. I would like to say that I liked that they were allowed to have all the girly stuff. I was thinking maybe it was just a type of kemono he is, but the clear traits of his brother show that it just Akira.

Kabane often felt too much like a clean slate, which probably is fair, where I think we are meant to feel some disconnect where his lack of concern of damage, pain and stuff kind of feel inhuman where he has to ask others what the right reaction is. But did make the human parts stand out. Shiki was fine, he was probably the most fun to watch in action, and his story arc was good, although how his little sister decided to dress afterwards was a bit much for her apparent age.

I liked the show, it was one of the shows I was looking forward to each week, even though I would admit it could do more. My rating will be Good (7/10), worth seeing, because I think it fits that part of it being worth seeing, maybe I enjoyed it for particular reasons, while I will say there are places it could improve.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:25 pm Reply with quote
First off, I really liked this show. Getting a good from me. Pretty good ending I guess, but I am still hoping they come out with more, I'd be in for another season (or two.)

Watching this last episode they really glossed over some sad facts (again) about what Akira's brother went though. When he said he'd killed everyone in the village and there were even children there, wouldn't those have been HIS children from what we know? He killed his own kids? Since there is only (usually) one male every 100 years born and then once they reach puberty the women basically rape and sexually abuse him what else can it be?
I guess it isn't one of those things you want to spend a lot of time thinking about, but geez, that was quite a punch to the gut. Not that he should not be forgiven, he should be and should forgive himself, which of course is easier in anime than real-life when that isn't the focus of this show, but it hit me hard...for a moment, then it was on to other things! Which I'm ok with, but clearly the thought has been with me all day.

Other than some really dark storylines, for all the characters basically, those weren't focused on or this would have been a really emotionally draining show to watch (interesting in a different way, sure) but instead it managed to feel a lot "lighter" then the plot. The comedic moments worked well, the interactions between the kemono were nice and it was a fun show over all (if you didn't think too hard about those dark elements in the background...under a sheet) I'm interested in what happens next for Kabane but I'm not sure I'd seek out the manga. Worth the watch for sure.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
This was one of the highlights of the season for me. There are two things I really want to happen: 1) for the show to get more seasons and 2) for Kon to get her own spin-off series. She's a good girl! Just loved her.

I have to say I wasn't super crazy about the final three eppie arc. Akira was by far my least favourite character and I didn't dig his brother, either. Still that wasn't enough to dim my enthusiasm that much. There is clearly much more story to tell and we need to see it, dammit! Gave this a Kon-inspired Excellent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1