• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network Gets a New Layout

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loplop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I like the new look, It much more readable than in the past . . .
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Here are my thoughts:

Too much "nothing" at the top. I'm using a 1024 browser and I barely see the first news story "above the fold." I doubt anyone with a 800x600 monitor will see any news stories without scrolling.

If someone asked "how can I change it, this is what i'd do:

1. move the login stuff at the top. perhaps put it above the features in the right bar. Then either move the entire page up or move the ad so that it's above the title. That will give you 100px right there probably.

2. move the tabs so that the top of the tabs align with the top of the white. This could include cutting out some of the white so that the tabs are still over the blue background.

I like the general idea behind the design - it is much slicker than before, and I'm glad there is a search box on the home page now. But it seems like you have to go awfully far down the page before one actually gets to anything.
MsCongeniality

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I think it's nicer, definitely much 'cleaner' looking. The material is well organized and easy to access through the top tabs. I definitely agree with the people who say there is too much space at the top of the screen, though and I will miss the ability to 'customize' my pages.

On the whole, a long overdue upgrade. Nicely done. Smile
Kiriath

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote
It's nifty enough, but I want my NERV skin back. Smile
LightYagami

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
As of now I don't have an opinion yet, BUT one thing that I noticed missing from the encycloepedia tab were the rating stats for both anime and manga. And If possible, I think that they should be put back. But for now goto the URLs listed below:

Manga Stats:
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-manga.php

Anime Stats:
animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/ratings-anime.php

Quote:
are you getting a new mascot too?

who was the previous mascot on the old layout?
steev-sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I like the concept and design, but I don't know if it is just me... but does anyone else feel that the site is a little plain now? Also there is a lot of unused awkward looking space. I am just an amateur web designer, but something doesn't sit right with me.

The top of the page is probably the strangest part. I love how there is an easy to access search that you can pick from many different area's, but the logo is so far down from the top that it feels weird to look at.. "Anime News Network" should be at the top of the page.. being 120ish px's down from the top gives off a strange feeling.. Personally, I would move the Search and Login each to a TAB and move the "ann australia | ann usa | protoculture addicts" links so they are on the same row/level as the tabs.. That way the TABs will be at the top of the page and the logo will be only 50ish px's from the top.

Anyway.. that is just me being honest, rude, and harsh when looking at the new design. Twisted Evil

I really like the design still, better than anything I can do. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hawkeye123

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
It's disgusting, where do I change it back?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Hawkeye123 wrote:
Where do I change it back?

Right now you can't. The new format uses different scripts and isn't compatible with the old version.

I could link you to the old site, but you wouldn't see any new content.
As mentionned here there will be alternative looks in the future, most likely including something similar to what you're used to.

-t
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I'll miss the old layout, but I think I can get used to this one. It's nice though that everything is grouped at one corner of the page, so I think I'll like the facilitated navigation as I get used to this new look Smile

Last edited by Raven Shinobi on Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Hawkeye123 wrote:
Where do I change it back?

Right now you can't. The new format uses different scripts and isn't compatible with the old version.

I could link you to the old site, but you wouldn't see any new content.
As mentionned here there will be alternative looks in the future, most likely including something similar to what you're used to.

-t

Well, you'll never have a design that everyone likes either, no matter how bad the old design was (not saying that the old one was bad...) and no matter how good the new one is, there is always going to be some people who want what they're used to.
Hawkeye123

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Also, why does everything start with lower case letters?

And why don't the tabs close when you're not using them?
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised. I esteem you for your choice in changing the layout, but I think it needs work. The site looks less original and more like a cheap fan site rather than something with a huge anime encyclopeida.
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I kinda like the new look. I definitely like separating the news by days Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
konohamaru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy Very nice! Very Happy I like the overall design, and the functionality is great but it does look a bit sterile compared to what we were used to. Very Happy
Ryusui

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Here's my two cents: THIS IS CRAP.

Used to be I could access everything without scrolling. Now the font is Gojira-sized and I have to scroll down for pages just to read the top three articles. Hell, where did the links for the Encyclopedia and everything go? I don't feel like looking for them.

Furthermore, now I have to fight with the forums to post anything. What the hell did you do? Pick the biggest piece-of-crap bloatware you could find?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12