• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime News Network Gets a New Layout

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I actually like the new ad skin because its the most vibrant ad I had seen. But everytime I sidescroll through the site I accidently go to IGN.
giberwitz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
must...buy... coyote ragtime show...
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
nobody[v] wrote:
The new layout also seems to make the site more graphic heavy that in the past. I was looking at the status bar on Opera, and it said something like 200+ K/b downloaded. That seems like a lot for a dial-up connection...but I wouldn't know for sure since I'm on cable.

I'm using dial-up (yeah, I know, I need to get with the times Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop ) and the site is loading just fine for me. It's no slower than with the old design, and certainly loads faster than many other sites out there on the net.

And while I am one of those who complained about how bright the CRS ad was, I am either getting used to it or the color has been adjusted a bit because it doesn't seem so bad anymore. That was really my only complaint (the bright red color, not the ad itself).

I know the small problems with the new design will get worked out, and I strongly disagree with the people that are complaining because the site admin chose to run an advertising skin. If these folks wanted to just go for money, they sure as heck wouldn't be running an anime website. From what I have seen here of the people who run this site, they all seem like pretty intelligent, talented folks and I have absolutely no doubt they could be making tons more money in other professions.

I'm glad they have chosen not to, though. I very much enjoy this site and appreciate all the work that goes into it. The fact that I can access this content and participate in the discussions here with the only cost being to look at a few ads is a great thing.
RezSav

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quote
Hmmmmm, has this bug been addressed yet? Go find a news item, one that links to another page, like the new Hellsing interview one, and click Discuss (before you get to the new page) Now click on the link and go to Discuss. You end up making two different threads.
Successful_Troll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:43 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
You're doing a great job at whining but you're not presenting any actual solution and that makes you just as much a part of the problem.

...why do we need a solution? How long has this site run on just banner ads? Personally I find the idea to hire a full time translator insane. It's anime. It's not like you need to keep watch for breaking news. All you would really need is someone with a decent understanding of japanese that can cruise the typical news sites a couple of times a day and then submit what's interesting. You could probably find someone that would do that for no more then a credit on the site.
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:04 am Reply with quote
ManOfRust wrote:
I know the small problems with the new design will get worked out, and I strongly disagree with the people that are complaining because the site admin chose to run an advertising skin.

My problem is not that it's an advertising skin, it's the size and the design of the skin. It's an incredibly obtrusive and shoddily designed skin that screws up the design of the site (and I'm still miffed I can't use the search function). It's simply ugly.

Not to mention it's not exactly "worksafe" in the sense that it's just too bright and large... and going by some of the ads ANN has had before (you know, the ones with the barely-clothed girls in titillating positions) and seeing that ANN is apparently okay with this type of heavy advertising, I wonder if there will come a time when ANN has an advertising skin that's not quite worksafe in the usual meaning of the word. But I digress.

Anyway, my problem is that ANN apparently seems to be okay with allowing such obtrusive ads. I didn't mind theme skins before because I either got used to them or I could always just change the skin. Now we have one of the ugliest and most annoying theme skin I've ever seen on a site that I use rather frequently, and I've no option to change it.

Also, I agree with Successful_Troll in that I don't really see why a full-time Japanese translator is so very important that it justifies monster ads like this. If getting the newest news from Japan is really important to someone then they already a) know Japanese, b) have someone on the lookout, c) read one of the numerous blogs and news sites that already provide that type of content. Sure, it would be great if ANN had a Japanese translator, for interviews and such, but I don't think it's so important that it justifies such huge, ugly ads and the damage to ANN's image for many of its readers.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:20 am Reply with quote
nobody[v] wrote:
Looking at the CRS frame, it should be possible to resize the images so that the frame occupies slightly less space, or even without resizing, there are some pretty useless parts of the pics that can be cut out to reduce the length of the column. It would also be better to change the backround colour to something that less "contrasting".

The search bar is in EVERY page. I don't know what more you could ask for...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nobody[v]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:30 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

True, a search bar is in every page, but its the google version. Not the encyclopedia specific one.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:30 am Reply with quote
Oh, and the normal skin is now available. Look at my ANN. Sorry for the wait. m(_ _)m
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:32 am Reply with quote
nobody[v] wrote:
True, a search bar is in every page, but its the google version. Not the encyclopedia specific one.

Try clicking the down-arrow instead of the search button itself.
mufurc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:45 am Reply with quote
Mmm, much better. But the search box on the top of the page is still only half-visible.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:59 am Reply with quote
Dan: Excellent work, especially the addition of "and more..." link, redirecting lesser-visited pages to the general Encyclopedia page while saving the precious small space on the tab. However, "contributors," "recently added," and "bibliography" are gone. Not redirected, but GONE. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:01 am Reply with quote
geh... I'd forgotten to upload the modified php files Embarassed

Thanks dormcat, it's now fixed.
Crawly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:04 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Oh, and the normal skin is now available. Look at my ANN. Sorry for the wait. m(_ _)m

Much better. Very Happy Now if we can just get that downsized version for those of us without enough cash to get bigger monitors, everything will be perfect. But at least I can read the site again without everything all squished together in a way it wasn't supposed to be, even if I do have to constantly sidescroll. Smile
Calculusman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
nobody[v] wrote:
Dan42 wrote:

I still get the encylopedia entry i'm looking for at the top of even the normal search. Maybe this isn't always the case, but I haven't had a problem searching for encylopedia entry i'm looking for even by doing the google search.

Oh, and is there any plan to allow users to add new releases? Like for example I saw that disc 3 of rumbling hearts is up on amazon with a release date, but isn't in the release list yet. I do like how users can add prices at other places on things that are listed though (unless that's always been there and I just now noticed it...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12