• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Licenses Mr. Osomatsu Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
leelee85 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
Cool. This is a nice surprise because this show does not seem to be that popular in R1. Hopefully tomorrow someone announces disc rights for Re:Zero.

I just hope someone announces disk rights for anything that is on Anime Strike tommorrow.

I'm assuming you mean the shows that Amazon has licensed themselves, since the rest of their simulcasts have already been announced for eventual home video releases.

Anyway, I guess this explains the rumors about this being dubbed in LA already. Like many, I assumed that CR was going to release it. I look forward to the Viz release.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue, it's legal issues like that almost encourage piracy. Think of the otaku children, you copyright holders.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:58 am Reply with quote
FINALLY. Can we get this one on Adult Swim, please. It has to be better than Dimension W, although dub casting for this show makes me nervous. We have VA's in R1 that have the chops, but recreating that chemistry between six different characters is daunting, imo. Finding voices for six different characters in a comedic show is one thing, but adding the squabbles between six brothers cannot be forced. (Source: Have very large, very dysfunctional family.)

Super excited for the release, though. Embarassed
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:08 am Reply with quote
I'm really happy that it is getting dubbed, as more people can see it. I'm just not sure if the dub will be that good, even if it is Bang Zoom!. They need actors who can match the personality of each character to a T.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:35 am Reply with quote
I was hoping it would have gotten a gag dub.

If Adult Swim were to ever start showing comedy anime again, this would be it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
I'm intrigued, not by the show but by Viz licensing something and it's something that's not a popular recent manga and it's a comedy.

And because of all that, I'm not sure what they're expecting from it.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
FINALLY. Can we get this one on Adult Swim, please. It has to be better than Dimension W, although dub casting for this show makes me nervous. We have VA's in R1 that have the chops, but recreating that chemistry between six different characters is daunting, imo. Finding voices for six different characters in a comedic show is one thing, but adding the squabbles between six brothers cannot be forced. (Source: Have very large, very dysfunctional family.)

That would be nice, but Adult Swim doesn't do anime comedy anymore. Plus I dunno if it'd grab Jason DeMarco (Toonami is basically based off his personal tastes...except for that time he screwed up and didn't finish Tenchi Muyo! GXP before approving it).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:

Isn't a gag dub when you do a comedic dub of a show that was original not a comedy, ala Ghost Stories.
PannenkoekenNL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I hope they or someone else will license the 80s series someday too.
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
ninjamitsuki wrote:

Isn't a gag dub when you do a comedic dub of a show that was original not a comedy, ala Ghost Stories.

Or when the company in charge thinks the show needs shittons more punch-up to sell to a US audience, like Funimation's Shin-chan...

But in this case, hell no. It doesn't need one. Osomatsu-san is already hilarious in Japanese, and though some tweaks in the dub script to make some of the jokes/humor shine more in the English language would be expected, it has the vulgar, 'adult', and sometimes kind of dark humor that the [as] crowd would love already baked into it in the first place.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Ecstatic that Viz picked up Osomatsu-san! Smile Hopefully it gets an English version sometime.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
1. 2014: The original Sailor Moon Uncut and Sailor Moon Crystal, Doraemon - 3

They actually had the license to Doraemon several years prior to 2014. They just didn't start putting it into use until 2014 when the Japanese licensors commissioned the dub. Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20060814012406/http://www.viz.com:80/shows/doraemon.php

PannenkoekenNL wrote:

They'll probably consider it if Mr. Osomatsu sells well.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
PannenkoekenNL wrote:
What about the 60s version, I've heard some fans in Japan claim the 80s version wasn't as good.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
DisneyXAnimefan95 wrote:
1. 2014: The original Sailor Moon Uncut and Sailor Moon Crystal, Doraemon - 3

They actually had the license to Doraemon several years prior to 2014. They just didn't start putting it into use until 2014 when the Japanese licensors commissioned the dub. Source: http://web.archive.org/web/20060814012406/http://www.viz.com:80/shows/doraemon.php

Sorry about that, I actually was referring to the 2005 anime series, not the whole franchise!!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
You might want to go back and correct/clarify that statement, as it seems like they only have the rights to 24 episodes, unless they add in an ova episode (like with the Australian release). According to Mike Toole, episode one won't be included due to all the legal entanglements that come with the various references. Oh, & before people start getting mad, this was also the case the JP release. Just a heads up.

Here's Mike's tweet:
https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/896132920426979328

When there are barriers preventing fans from an official stream or purchase, I don't think the production committees/rights holders should really pull the infringement card.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2