• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Film Critic Responds to Netflix's Rise in Japan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
dsfjr1190 wrote:
And I don't think the hardcore fans matter to Netflix. They'd love to have them, but don't need them. There are plenty of non-hardcore fans that currently watch anime on their service. Not to mention the general public who have probably never heard of the word "anime" yet watch shows like Little Witch Academia, Attack on Titan, Death Note, Sword Art Online, etc.

I think hardcore fans will always underestimate how successful anime does on Netflix. They will let their personal opinions on Netflix not simulcasting dictate their belief that Netflix is failing at anime.

I think it's the opposite. I think anime fans tend to think way more people watch Netflix shows then actually do. Netflix has a ton of users (approximately 128 million) but with the breadth of genres on Netflix, individual shows don't generate as much views as you would think.

The latest estimate from Newsweek (which lines up with the viewership number released by Netflix for OITNB, and also haven't been refuted by Netflix like every other estimate) sheds some light on how much people watch a give Netflix original. The top 25 most watched Netflix shows of 2016 had OITNB (season 4) at the top, with 23 million views, and the bottom being Bosch (season 2) at 1.6 million views. There are a couple of things to take away from this, one being there are no anime series in the top 25 (unsurprisingly) and the other is that the top show only has 17.9% of subscribes on Netflix watching it. That's not a very high percentage. The 25th highest is only 1.25%.

We'll never get exact viewership numbers of course, but the point is I think the whole people watching anime on Netflix is way overstated. If other shows barely break 1 million viewers, and those are all much more popular than the closest anime show with a mainstream audience, then it's a pretty safe bet that there's not that many views on the Netflix anime selection.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like this guy has a lot of conflicting views on Netflix. I can understand that. I hope it's not ultimately seen as an "invasion" by most. Even if it is, in many ways, it has the potential to be exactly what the industry needs.

TasteyCookie wrote:
Inb4 the firestorm this creates on the forums lol. But Netflix originals are a great things for Anime. Especially since the money goes to the actual animators and not the production committee.

From what I've seen, it's a little too early to say Netflix is paying animators better. From the sounds of it, they are providing much better schedules, which is already a huge improvement, but roughly at the same pay level. I do think ultimately it will be a very good thing to have Netflix involved. As long as they utilize their power to be, in a way, philanthropic within the industry. It might be the best hope the industry has to undergo a major change.

Marzan wrote:

But how do we know this without actual viewership figures? For all we know Netflix is in an intense "build it and they will come" phase and not actually being rewarded for their success with lots of hits?

I've talked to a couple of people in the industry and they assure me that, while the shows might not get the same traction within the small portion of the anime watching community that hangs out online and talks about it regularly, shows like Kuromukuro and Seven Deadly Sins did quite well on Netflix. Better than they would've expected on a different platform. I think it's fair to say that we all have a skewed understanding of the numbers, but that Netflix is ultimately good for these shows. It kind of sucks, in a way, that what gets talked about endlessly online doesn't actually determine popularity as much as we like to think. We are only a small segment of the actual viewership. There is probably good reason that Studios and Committees are literally reaching out to Netflix to host their shows, rather than the other way around.
dsfjr1190

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
dsfjr1190 wrote:
And I don't think the hardcore fans matter to Netflix. They'd love to have them, but don't need them. There are plenty of non-hardcore fans that currently watch anime on their service. Not to mention the general public who have probably never heard of the word "anime" yet watch shows like Little Witch Academia, Attack on Titan, Death Note, Sword Art Online, etc.

I think hardcore fans will always underestimate how successful anime does on Netflix. They will let their personal opinions on Netflix not simulcasting dictate their belief that Netflix is failing at anime.

I think it's the opposite. I think anime fans tend to think way more people watch Netflix shows then actually do. Netflix has a ton of users (approximately 128 million) but with the breadth of genres on Netflix, individual shows don't generate as much views as you would think.

The latest estimate from Newsweek (which lines up with the viewership number released by Netflix for OITNB, and also haven't been refuted by Netflix like every other estimate) sheds some light on how much people watch a give Netflix original. The top 25 most watched Netflix shows of 2016 had OITNB (season 4) at the top, with 23 million views, and the bottom being Bosch (season 2) at 1.6 million views. There are a couple of things to take away from this, one being there are no anime series in the top 25 (unsurprisingly) and the other is that the top show only has 17.9% of subscribes on Netflix watching it. That's not a very high percentage. The 25th highest is only 1.25%.

We'll never get exact viewership numbers of course, but the point is I think the whole people watching anime on Netflix is way overstated. If other shows barely break 1 million viewers, and those are all much more popular than the closest anime show with a mainstream audience, then it's a pretty safe bet that there's not that many views on the Netflix anime selection.

Are those Newsweek numbers for the global audience or just for the US? I remember other people calculating their own ratings but they always end up being US numbers, which isn't the end-all be-all to a global streaming service like Netflix.

Still, even if you are right and anime doesn't do great on Netflix, it doesn't really matter. If a Netflix subscriber is only subscribed to Netflix to watch anime and watches nothing else, that does matter to Netflix. They've said in the past that they want to make enough content to keep every subscriber staying subscribed no matter what they watch. If their is a decent amount of people who only watch anime then they'll make sure they have anime for them to watch.

Of course, we could all be overthinking this and their push into anime could just be a way to get Japanese customers interested in a Netflix subscription. lol

Last edited by dsfjr1190 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
@TasteyCookie But even if they have the same viewership as the lowest ones, that still puts them over the subscriber base of CR, at around a million (plus free users of course). And does that data include everything labeled Netflix Originals? Because if so, their original anime needs to be getting more than the lowest, provided they aren't the lowest. I think it might show that anime fans at least also underestimate how many are watching on anime focused legal streaming sites.
psiho66

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
dsfjr1190 wrote:
Marzan wrote:
My big question is if this model is economically viable for Netflix in the long run? How many people are watching anime on their platform? Are non-anime watchers 'tuning in' or are they expecting hardcore anime public to become their customers?

Making anime is probably a heck of a lot cheaper than those Netflix Original live-action shows that cost upwards of 3 million dollars an episode.

But how do we know this without actual viewership figures? For all we know Netflix is in an intense "build it and they will come" phase and not actually being rewarded for their success with lots of hits?

When Netflx announced a good amount of original Anime coming to their platform an article gave an Idea of roughly how many people watch Anime on Netflix aka 50% of the Japanese Netflix subscribers watch Anime about 1 million and there are 10 million watchers of Anime on Netflix around the world or about 10% of their subscribers.You can check the Reddit post I made for proof.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/6r7737/number_of_people_watching_anime_on_netflix/
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"In addition, Machiyama commented that works that might not receive an "OK" under other circumstances or that film companies would not be able to screen can get approval through Netflix. He thinks that a "full-blown war" with Netflix will start in the media world in Japan, and it will look like "an invasion of the former American military." He advised careful consideration for people involved with Japanese media companies.

As an example, Machiyama noted that France has elevated its country to fight with Netflix. He said that the country essentially avoided an American "invasion" by blocking Netflix from France."

What the fu** ?

Where does this bullshit come from ? Netflix works perfectly in France, nobody blocks it... Rolling Eyes
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
SuiSeiKen wrote:

Where does this bullshit come from ? Netflix works perfectly in France, nobody blocks it... Rolling Eyes

Maybe he mean about how Netflix doesn't want some of their original films (like Okja) to be shown in French theaters, after receiving one hell of a backlash from Cannes.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
And now the opinion of the earlier generation, who remembers Netflix as a disk-by-mail service that tried showing a few movies on PS3 for those who couldn't wait, and doesn't immediately think "New original programming like House of Cards and Stranger Things, to change the bold new innovative TV-production landscape!", when he hears the word Netflix.
(Yep, kiddies, ask your parents about the Big Red Envelopes...)

The reason Netflix has shifted all its attention to original programming is that the studios fear that subscription streaming is the "enemy" of their failing push for Digital Sales (c'mon, it was supposed to make disks obsolete, and nobody buys Blu-ray! Razz ), and now routinely stiff the Big Three subscription services for actual 20th-cty. studio-catalog movies, to the point that they've vanished almost completely...
Except for ONE nobless-oblige care-package every month, usually the complete run of a studio House-Brand name franchise, like Universal's Jurassic Park movies or Warner's Lethal Weapon sequels. Remember, it's about the studio, not the movies!

Japan, like other countries, thinks Netflix is the Foreign Invader, and will either try to shape their own localized branch, or craft their own from scratch without knowing how, but how will their studios react to having their movies shown for "free" on a monthly charge?
There'll probably be less jealousy, since they're not pushing digital-download yet either, but movies will probably be stuck in Greedy-Japanese-Licensing limbo.

In either country, the message is the same: Don't throw out your disks. Cool
Sergorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
That's a different thing altogether : the deal with Netflix and France cinema is that french laws about film airing are literally from another age, and films that were shown in theatre have to wait THREE YEARS before they can be allowed on a streaming service. That's essentially the reason Netflix doesn't want their film to be shown in theatre here and the was the core of the issue about the Cannes clusterfuck.

But Netflix works VERY well in France, they actually begin creating Original Series with french creators and actors, and if anything french companies have been trying to counter Netflix France to little success and the only reason some are still standing are because of deals made with various other channels (including Netflix, but most notably HBO) BEFORE Netflix was available in France.

So yeah I'm not sure what Machiyama is on about - he's grossly misinformed.

-Sergorn
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Say, does this imply that with its shitload of money, Netflix will be finally able to, er, "bypass" the production committee system?

Netflix IS the production committe. You're just trading one team of executives for another.

Does Netflix really spend that much on their shows? Every cartoon I've seen come out of Netflix looks like a cheaply produced Flash cartoon. Mr. Peabody, Home, Hotel Transylvania, and all those movie based cartoons look so cheap. Do those REALLY cost 3 million an episode? Sounds like some producer is scamming the money into his pocket.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
psiho66 wrote:
When Netflx announced a good amount of original Anime coming to their platform an article gave an Idea of roughly how many people watch Anime on Netflix aka 50% of the Japanese Netflix subscribers watch Anime about 1 million and there are 10 million watchers of Anime on Netflix around the world or about 10% of their subscribers.You can check the Reddit post I made for proof.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/6r7737/number_of_people_watching_anime_on_netflix/

Dang, only 10 million? And that's including their Asian markets, of which Japan is 1 million. That's lower than I thought :/ Especially considering that number would include a user who has only seen a single anime series.

The more I read about Netflix and their anime adventures, the more it seems like it's all a ploy to get more viewership in Asia, which is by far their biggest opportunity region. Hopefully that leads to good shows, but I'll guess we'll have to wait and see.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Not too surprised it was missed, but it was mentioned in response to this program that the animators have mentioned not seeing a single yen increase in their pay for Netflix projects. Therefore, where is that increase in money going?

TasteyCookie wrote:

The closest we can get is the amount of subscribers that watched at least one anime series. It was mentioned earlier this month that half of Netflix's JP subscribers have watched anime and that it only accounts for 10% of the amount of people that have watched anime worldwide. In 2016, Netflix had 1.41 million subscribers in Japan (Source). Half of that is 705,000 subscribers. Divide by 10% and you get 7.05 million subscribers. If Netflix has 125 million subscribers and there's only 7.05 million anime viewers overall, that's only 5.6% of the entire userbase that watches anime there. Compared to Crunchyroll's 20 million free+paid subscribers, that's not a lot of people watching anime compared to other stuff. I can't see the benefit of going towards this besides trying to monopolize anime shows for the US audience for only 5% of viewers.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Netflix is investing a fortune in every corner of entertainment.

And money talks.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Quote:
He believes "Japan's anime industry will soon change completely. And the film industry will also change."

Say, does this imply that with its shitload of money, Netflix will be finally able to, er, "bypass" the production committee system?
If Netflix is funding it, then they are the production committee.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Does Netflix really spend that much on their shows? Every cartoon I've seen come out of Netflix looks like a cheaply produced Flash cartoon. Mr. Peabody, Home, Hotel Transylvania, and all those movie based cartoons look so cheap. Do those REALLY cost 3 million an episode? Sounds like some producer is scamming the money into his pocket.

Given that they all came out of Dreamworks' "exclusive" deal with Netflix for movies and original series, three guesses whose. Rolling Eyes

And, like the 4Kids "Glitter Force" version of PreCure--or Dreamworks' aforementioned cheap-@$$ movie-pimping Flash cartoons--most of the original series aren't even Netflix productions, they're simply "homeless" series that needed a syndicating network, now that syndication has pretty well evaporated with the corporatization of cable.
Netflix might pay early rights to a show in production like Seven Deadly Sins, but they're essentially just paying for the rights for nobody else to show it, and put that "ba-TOOM!" logo on the front.

We had this same problem back when Netflix first started showing streaming movies--most of which were provided by Epix and Starz's own streaming-movie sites--causing the "Keebler Elf" fantasy of thinking that Netflix digitized all the movies themselves, in the little back room of a magic hollow tree, and that they'd gladly add your favorite movie if you e-mailed them politely enough. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4