• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Neo-Yokio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katsuro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Oh my god, a solid F. I have to watch this now.

My sentiments entirely. I expected this show to be a firm "meh," but if it's an F then it might be so bad it's fun!

Of course, now that I've watched it I've decided that it's just "meh" in my opinion. I'd give it a D, because it's not awful, but there's nothing really good about it either except a joke here and there.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I thought it had that "California roll" hip-fake-anime Afro Samurai feel to it when I saw the Netflix graphic (and the quasi-Akira-fan reference title), but having Jaden Smith associated with it explains a LOT.

If the credits had also said "Executive produced by Will Smith", I would similarly not die of shock. Confused
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Having watched the whole thing, I kinda liked it. It is a wonderfully daft parody from start to end, not just of old anime but also fashion/celebrity 'culture'. I got some laughs out of each episode, and really that's what matters.
Well worth watching with friends, some beers, and maybe a big toblerone.
Winger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Will someone create a page of this series in the encyclopedia? Or will not be added?

luisedgarf wrote:
I guess I was wrong after all: This series had a Spanish dub after all. Cool And also a German, Italian, Japanese and a French one as well.

There is a brazilian portuguese dub too.

Last edited by Winger on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Kind of interesting that we have some positive impressions from people who approached it in a certain way. If it's a parody, then I can see why: A parody is funny only if you understand the work is a parody, if you understand what it's parodying, and you agree with (or are open-minded enough to see) the viewpoints made with the work.

Now I am REALLY curious to see this (though I don't have Netflix).
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode and I'm...kind of annoyed it exists. It's bad and has some moments where it's funnily bad, but I'm not sure I can handle six episodes of this. It's definitely not The Room or Eiken quality "so bad you can't take your eyes off of it". It's just inoffensively blended on the low end of mediocre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
It should eventually dawn on him.

If Nicholas Cage can still make movies eventhough his output has been crap since about 2007 I don't see why Jaden can't.

genkisakurachan wrote:

I never thought the day would come when Steve Buscemi was cast in something worse than Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, but, well, here we are.

He's been in a bunch of Adam Sandler movies, along with G-Force, Home On The Range, and 2 Spy Kids Films this isn't his first shitshow.

Wicker Man was 2006.
He did Bad Lieutenant after that which well made up for some of his after 2007 screw ups. But yeah, things like Left Behind, Season of the Witch really scuttled his career to the point he was stuck with mainly DTV work now.
Naiera

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:07 am Reply with quote
NOT anime.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
Ok, saw it with a friend, I loved it. For all the wrong reasons, but I loved it. It's the type of bad that can only come from someone genuinely believing they're doing a good job. Some of the lines honestly had me laughing at just how unexpected they were. Pretty much any scene inside of the two friend's bar was hilarious. And when Kaz confronted his teacher, I just knew the outcome was going to be stupid. I feel like if any three characters were in on the whole joke that is this shows existence, it has to be Lexy and Gottlieb, and the store clerk (who I don't think has a name, but shows up way too often). It's complete trash, but it's damn fun.

Hilariously, I then proceeded to show my friend Genma Wars, and GW is still easily the more incompetent show. I mean, Neo Yokio is dumb, but you can at least follow the plot without wondering what location we are in now and why. And it at least can animate characters walking, GW does things like letting them be able to teleport and constantly drawing hands as closed fists because then you don't need to draw individual fingers. And it's an older DVD series, but playing on my PS3 on my HD TV, it looked like a VHS tape half of the time and a poor DVD the other half. GW is so bad it honestly makes Neo Yokio look like it tried.

Either way, I ended the day by purchasing a Toblerone. Hadn't had one since I randomly got one as a child, but, alas, I don't think it was very good.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Either way, I ended the day by purchasing a Toblerone. Hadn't had one since I randomly got one as a child, but, alas, I don't think it was very good.

I can also be counted amongst the legions who belittled this series, only to then find themselves buying a Toblerone. The balance of chocolate to honey and nougat is very delicate, I must admit. Against the odds, neither addition renders the treat too sickly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I can also be counted amongst the legions who belittled this series, only to then find themselves buying a Toblerone. The balance of chocolate to honey and nougat is very delicate, I must admit. Against the odds, neither addition renders the treat too sickly.

What about the gappy teeth? Say what you want about the US branch, but at least when they made the Toblerone bars smaller (and they are about 30 grams lighter than the gappy-teeth bars), the US branch did it in an inconspicuous way by shrinking the entire bar instead of changing its shape.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, the Toblerone isn't so much a product tie-in as its own unique character in the show somehow. I swear this statement sort of makes sense if you have seen the show. I guess it just goes to prove that your product doesn't have to be in something good to improve your sales. Although Neo Yokio is charmingly terrible in so many ways. It is going to spawn so many delicious memes!

And I was quite pleased to find that the American Toblerones didn't look stupid with huge gaps. I kind of prefer that method of shrinking the bars.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What about the gappy teeth? Say what you want about the US branch, but at least when they made the Toblerone bars smaller (and they are about 30 grams lighter than the gappy-teeth bars), the US branch did it in an inconspicuous way by shrinking the entire bar instead of changing its shape.

As I stare at what remains of the Toblerone I bought only yesterday, I take solace in the fact that the reduced depth of the pyramids renders the confectionery item healthier than it previously was.

Plus, it doubles as an edible DVD holder!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Just finished up watching this tonight and honestly, how could anyone look at this and think it was trying to be serious? I read the review first, so I went in thinking that Neo Yokio was trying to be something serious, but watching it I am unsure how anyone could think that. It's hilarious. The humor is so stupid you just have to laugh along. It's basically slapping people in the face that it knows it's a stupid show and it isn't trying to be legit by any means.

Anyway, I found it hilarious. I enjoyed it rather un-ironically and seeing people hate on it only makes it even funnier. Here's to hoping that they make even more of this.
rebii

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
This show wasn't released, it escaped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7