• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Caligula (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:25 am Reply with quote

Caligula (TV)

Genres: action, science fiction
Themes: virtual reality

Plot Summary: Tadashi Satomi is a virtual idol known as μ who performs user-inputted songs and gains self-awareness through exposure to users' bitter feelings and dissatisfaction toward reality. Wanting to save humanity — which she believes is continuously suffering — she lures people to a virtual reality world called Mobius with her songs. She then imprisons them in Mobius, thinking they will be free from the suffering of reality and that all their wishes will come true. Nine members of the "Going Home Club," a club that was formed because the characters want to escape from Mobius and go home, try to find a way out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
Not bad, I actually like the idea behind this series. It also presents a concept that seperates fiction from reality. Really curious to see how the world fiction will evolve though.

The MC so far is okay. Nothing too impressive but I am very curious to understand them better. I think the main selling point of the first episode is the concepts and how they can affect the characters and story as a whole. Animation quality looks fitting for the show. The white and black coloring of the scenes creates a sensation of being separated from reality. First episode has my interest for what it's shown. It can easily be a hit or miss so I hope it doesn't bomb.

I should also say the music is decent, not great imo but works for the show.

The story feels confusing at the moment but it's the first episode so it should have time to develop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
They did apologize last week for the confusion of the first episode, it sounded like the first episode was meant to be set-up, and starting with episode 2 things will be explained more. I'm just happy everyone gets to see it now, I've been waiting over a week already for the next episode!
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh. I liked the confusion and paranoia of the first episode. If it's apparently different enough for the creators to apologize for, I suspect this show and I are not going to get along going forward.

Actually, I like the way anime presents this kind of insanity in general. All the science adventure shows have it, even if it's the only thing they deliver well on (e.g. Chaos;Head).
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
It was more like "we're sorry if this is a bit confusing to you, since you'll have to wait 2 more weeks for episode 2, we can't answer questions because they'll be spoilers."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:39 am Reply with quote
I am surprised that the first episode is getting such a positive reaction, because I thought that it was a total mess. We spend a good amount of time following a high school boy around like he understands psychological and philosophical theories, and I say acting because he seems to bring them up at times that barely seem relevant to what he is talking about. People brushing them off makes him look smart, but really it just feels like no one has patience for him bringing up a bunch of crap. The episode did have some interesting aspects like corruptive video, but that brings to my thoughts that they could have decided to animate in a way to show the things he is talking about. Rather than just see him talking about a fish hitting a pane of glass, animate that. I say this not from not understanding this things being talked about, but it felt like it was being done in a way to needlessly suck up to an audience that feels like it can.

And then other parts of the episode were weird. Which has me thinking whether he is sliding between realities, or the world itself is a dream. I got a weirdly 18if vibe, which just has me thinking it is being a bit too weird, without quite having something to say. I have seen enough to so far think that I am not expecting it to be anything other than somewhat empty, before it can back up what it has set up with something meaningful.

And lastly, it feels like a generally bad move to name your in series singing star off of the group from Love Live.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:47 am Reply with quote
I'm personally not sure why there was any confusion with the first episode. For one, the show's plot is described pretty clearly in the ANN Encyclopedia summary provided above. But even if I had seen the episode without knowing a thing, it was pretty clear that it is a Matrix like story where the MC and others are inhabiting a fake world. True, at this stage (without reading the summary) we wouldn't know how they got there or why they are there, but I hope we're all past the stage where we neeed every single detail about a show to be spelled out in the first 23-ish minute episode.

In any case, I liked it including the Psych 100 stuff. It was all on point and contributed to both the atmosphere and themes of the show. It's a super crowed season for me, but I'll continue watching for now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

When you reach the edge of the map and or see how poorly rendered beyond that point is. And when you start to get annoyed at lack of conversations for NPCs.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

This is probably a series that will be a bit unfair for me to really give a review of, because I really had a hard time keeping my attention heavily following it, that I actually felt some confusion when I suddenly realized that there was a large cast, after I really only knew a few of them. Not that I was not paying attention to the stories in the episodes, but a lot of them bored me. I am honestly confused where the person acting as a superhero came in.

I think that the show was trying too dang hard to be smart, like I thought in the first episode, and everything else was just uninteresting, and often did not feel like a continuous story, it felt like a bunch of random elements kept popping in. It is not like I am not familiar with a show bringing in new theme elements each episode, I could point to 18if, as something that was not always successful, but did things that got my attention at least each time.

So I watched the show, remember much of the stories, but really could not tell you the names of any of the characters. I admit there was some nice emotion packed into the last episode, and even some art to it, but I was still kind of confused, even if it is mostly my own fault. I give a rating of Weak (3/10), because I really don't remember most of it, or it really being fun, so I probably should have done something else instead. Sorry if I totally failed to watch this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1