• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Talentless Nana (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:06 am Reply with quote

Talentless Nana (TV)

Genres: psychological, supernatural, thriller

Plot Summary: An academy on an island in unnavigable waters. There, students trained tirelessly to fight back against the enemies of humanity. Nana, a student newly transferred there, also sets out with the intention of eradicating all enemies of humankind.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Wow, that is why I like going into an anime without any extra information, because things like the end of this episode would not have been surprises. I like to think that I actually did notice that something was not right, perhaps things like the artstyle had this sort of mismatch that made me think of Assassination Classroom, the name of the series did not quite make sense for who it was referring to. Nana's motives felt super weird.

Not quite School Live, but similarly to that I did pick up something was off.

I think the next episode title spoiled things more than were necessary, pretty much saying spoiler[time traveler] when I would say that I was kind of theorising such after what she said. Current theory is that there is spoiler[no such thing as the enemies of humanity that they have been told that they will fight against, they are probably part of some plan to take over the world, Nana is from the future and has come back to stop them before they do so].
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:17 am Reply with quote
Interesting speculation, DP. You may be right. Yes, I enjoyed not knowing what was coming too. I'm very curious as to whether or not spoiler[Nanao is actually dead.] This title has certainly grabbed my attention!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:35 pm Reply with quote
The Talanetless Nana is an interesting first episode, raising a number of good questions and then spoiling everything with its ending opener.

Watching the twenty episode: Yup, right, everything seems to match up.
Watching the closer: Wait, is she the villain?
Looks back at the opening bit when Nana gets her orders: Oohhhh.

Kill the enemies of humanity. So far, so good.
Save Ten million people. Hold it. If you're saving humanity, it really should be more than ten million people. So what is going on?

When Nana stopped Nanao, she was told that she potentially saved one million plus people. So.... 9 million more to go then? How is that and why is it "potentially"? Regardless, I don't think Nana is an Enemy of Humanity directly but that she suspects she's working for them which is why she did a double play on finishing off Nanao.

That is: She took him back to the place where she almost died, presumably a faked event, ?, but one where Nanao proved his worth.... supposedly? So to anyone watching, Nana looks as if she killed him because she's following her orders.

I knew this series was reminding me of Dangaropa but I didn't realize just how much until I started to dissect Nana's and Nanao's motives. Regardless... again... if it's potential future deaths then killing of Nanao would only make sense for villains to do. Seriously, if he's in a position of power to do that when he just possesses a negating power then he could just as well save people.

Like he saved Nana.
Making sense so far? Because it gets worse.
It gets worse because people are watching them, watch each other. On an island in the middle of nowhere. A locked room, a closed circle. So how do you learn stuff without letting the ones watching you learn the things you're learning?
spoiler[time traveler]

Well, that's one way. But my bet's on the blond girl who seems to be experiencing a different ... series but one that's airing now... in the credits.

I'm not going to lie, this series has potential but it's also Dangerapoishly close to overdoing twists upon twists upon twists. The whole school is a set up to catch someone but only time will tell if its for the Enemies or the Allies of Humanity.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I guess I overthought about her being a time traveler, instead it seems that it likely the authority of the school itself having her kill. It is thus peculiar that would seem the first target she was sent after to stop talented in general was someone who can stop talented, almost like she too might be being lied to.

This time she killed an actual time traveler, he can alter past events ever so slowly, but otherwise forced back if he is noticed. Clearly he was going to be a threat to Nana if she wanted to keep her assassinations a secret. Nana killed him by tricking him into time traveling into water, while apparently being unable to swim, and going back to the future it would be frozen. I will make some mental notes in whether these first two kills are successful yet since we have not seen bodies yet.

And mysterious white haired boy is zeroing in on Nana being strange, he was the first to notice that Nanao is really missing, that he was seen with Nana, and he saw this guy with Nana too before he will go missing.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 and I don't know if I'll make it to the next twist. But why is the one with the time traveling power only worth 800,000 "lives"? And, AGAIN, Nana doesn't seem to be putting 2 and 2 together when it comes to following orders as she's "killing" the Enemies of Humanity as they are in fact trying to save people.

I'm... expecting?... it to be explained in its next twist but to accept someone so smart is also so dumb as to blindly follow orders even as her targets are subverting them... yup, no doubt about it, this series is Dangaroping HARD.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Um... aren't people going to start noticing that people are disappearing? People who have been having a fair amount of contact with Nana? Not sure how she expects to be able to continue to pick off targets one by one.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

So, being invincible is going to be tough to get rid of. He is also super intelligent and quite likely onto Nana. His questioning of Nana's favourite manga was all but announcing that he suspects what she is doing, even if he can't be sure yet.

Kyouya has also realised that the setting of the island makes no sense, that they are not really trained rather than being left to their devices to go missing.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:08 am Reply with quote
The sheer stupidity of this show is infuriating. Either one thing, government training of the Talented, or the other, goverment assassination project but if it's the other, just silently kill them on the way to the island.
Poison their food, bomb the island, put them on an artificial island and sink it.

No, it's a cat and mouse game between the talentless who know and the Talented who.... no outside communication until "Graduation" so it must happen, for some reason. So the Talented deemed harmless get released and they don't say anything about what happened.

It's mind boggling that all of Nana's targets have been "Friends of Humanity" so far, one actively trying to help after being goaded by Nana and the other two trying to find/solve the first victim...

Either kill them all or let them all live, this show is awful.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Animegomaniac, there you go demanding stuff like "logic" and "common sense" from anime plots... Wink
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The sheer stupidity of this show is infuriating. Either one thing, government training of the Talented, or the other, goverment assassination project but if it's the other, just silently kill them on the way to the island.
Poison their food, bomb the island, put them on an artificial island and sink it.

All of your ideas are awful so long as they don't know the full extent of what the students are capable of. In episode 3, we already have someone that would survive *all* of that and then some. And as soon the government tries *anything* and fails, their treachery is known and they're screwed. They've already said this.

Sending in just a regular girl who has mastered the art of deception, espionage and manipulation is not only incredibly covert, if she happens to fail, it costs them nothing. No one will know who is behind it because Nana is so mindlessly devoted to her mission that the last thing she'd do is rat her superiors out. She'd take that knowledge to her grave. They can't just drop a nuke on the island or something because everyone will know it was them. It'd be about as subtle as a brick to the face.

Quote:
It's mind boggling that all of Nana's targets have been "Friends of Humanity" so far, one actively trying to help after being goaded by Nana and the other two trying to find/solve the first victim...

This will be addressed. You shouldn't expect a story to reveal *all* of it's cards in the opening episodes because that's dumb.

I didn't address all of your comment because to be frank I can't even parse half of it (as with many of your posts) but, like, all you need to do is pay attention to the show you're watching. It's not hard.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Seems clear that the ones behind the whole thing do what certain levels of deniability that even the staff running actually there have no idea, so that if they ever got questioned they would honestly say that there is no conspiracy. And it is also likely that Nana is herself not being told the truth of why she is doing what she is, such that her first target was a boy with the power to stop other powers. I would not be surprised to learn rather that rather than actually being expected to kill them all, that they want her to mostly only kill the Talented that could be a risk of stopping the Talented they can control. Thus why they would want to get rid of any that have a strong moral compass, like Nanao and the travel guy, if they do want to just have soldiers that will do what they ae told, they would be a risk.

That is just my early theory, and most early theories I have tend to be wrong or incomplete.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:01 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Seems clear that the ones behind the whole thing do what certain levels of deniability that even the staff running actually there have no idea, so that if they ever got questioned they would honestly say that there is no conspiracy. And it is also likely that Nana is herself not being told the truth of why she is doing what she is, such that her first target was a boy with the power to stop other powers. I would not be surprised to learn rather that rather than actually being expected to kill them all, that they want her to mostly only kill the Talented that could be a risk of stopping the Talented they can control. Thus why they would want to get rid of any that have a strong moral compass, like Nanao and the travel guy, if they do want to just have soldiers that will do what they ae told, they would be a risk.

That is just my early theory, and most early theories I have tend to be wrong or incomplete.

Which is why the first one you'd target is the one who can negate Talents? That's not the first you kill, that's the first you recruit.... unless the whole thing is being run by a Talent whose ability is to force people to do their bidding.

Which is what I expect could be part of the second twist but trying to get there is testing my patience more that I expected. I know Talentless Nana is a manga adaptation and they can reveal their plots at whatever speed they choose but unlike Attack on Titan, there's little else to distract the audience from the stated plot except the plot.

What I've always loved about anime is its serial storytelling but the part where this series fails hardest is its "big picture" staging at the moment. If the Talented won and this was a subterfuge from the losers then I could see how being careful in disposing of the Talented would be necessary but the whole set up screams "And Then There Were None" faster than you can say "Wasn't that used to be called 'Ten Little Indians?"

Look at the bright side, I didn't point out how would the Indestructible Man know what his Achilles heel would be on his on his own? "I know that if you do this, I'll die." Using a secondary power user... using a power like like time travel... he could find out what eventually hurts and then kills him but that just brings up Trust Issues.

But bombing them, nuking the island they're already been Concentrated on in a Camp would be as subtle as a brick to face you say, Theguywholikesthigs? There was already a war which the Talent... the Talentless won and this would be less subtle than that?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:09 am Reply with quote
It can't really be argued that the setup here is a contrivance. The Talented must be pretty dumb because they've been made to believe in an "Enemy of Humanity" dealio for which there is no proof (except some manga, apparently) and given that Invincible Man is looking for his missing sister, it does not appear that this is the first culling go around. So the Talented can't figure out they are being picked off one by one. But I like the show, so I'm just gonna sit back and see what's what without particularly caring that the underlying premise is goofy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:55 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Which is why the first one you'd target is the one who can negate Talents? That's not the first you kill, that's the first you recruit.... unless the whole thing is being run by a Talent whose ability is to force people to do their bidding.

My thought is that they can be pretty sure that Nanao would be up to act as a puppet soldier, and if Talented are being kept like nukes between countries, Nanao would could be a threat to the system as effectively being able disarm a side. Imagine the idea if America suddenly learned that Japan could jam all of their nukes? They probably could imagine that he could be stolen or turn against

I don't know, I am sort of basing this off the idea that the top brass maybe even think that the devastation happened like we see that that one expert from From The New World where someone with a lot of power and could not be controlled are the biggest threat. So people with a hero's conscience outside of patriotism would need to be removed ASAP, while maybe if there is someone who just does what they are told and does not think too hard will be safer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3