• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Idaten Deities Know Only Peace (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:34 am Reply with quote

(The) Idaten Deities Know Only Peace (TV)

Plot Summary: Gods appeared when humanity was on the verge of destruction due to the work of demons. Deities called "Idaten" fought and sealed away the demons 800 years ago. Nowadays, the Idaten have no fighting experience and they live peaceful lives. But now the demons are reviving, and the battle between gods, humans, and demons is about to begin.
----------------------------------

First episode is out, based on the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:43 pm Reply with quote
So.... loud.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:32 am Reply with quote
And violent. I'm kinda digging it, though. I was hoping some kind of divine intervention was going to help out that poor nun but nope, which seems to be one of the points of the show.
chex mix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:00 pm Reply with quote
At least they put the gang rape in the first episode so I can leave now. The bright colors really clash with the level of violence in a way I'm not sure I can hang with even without that, tbh.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I love this show; esp the art and the characters (oh look, Ed Elric is back lol) and I was not offended by the ending scene since it wasn't gratuitous. I honestly thought such scenes in other shows went far beyond that. spoiler for titles: spoiler[Kannazuki no Miko, Psycho-Pass, Fate movies] just to name a few.

Hayato is my favorite character so far...but to be able to watch an anime where Paku Romi, Megumi Ogata AND Yui Horie are all voicing the main characters is pretty freaking awesome; such talented ladies! Akemi's been in the seiyuu game for a long time too...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:37 am Reply with quote
It has kind of started to feel like every character is a sociopath, who couldn't give one shit to an innocent human person. And I don't really buy the not in their nature thing, which kind of just feels like saying that everyone is a monster, but shouldn't dislike them for it.

And what are we meant to think of a plot point of a rape victim being confronted over apparently secretly enjoying it?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:39 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And what are we meant to think of a plot point of a rape victim being confronted over apparently secretly enjoying it?

I think we're meant to sigh, roll our eyes and say, "Oh, anime..." I had forgotten about that poor nun until this latest episode. It's a harsh show for sure but I'm liking it. Hope that doesn't mean I'm a sociopath, too!
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:46 am Reply with quote
Could it not be said that everyone in KonoSuba is a sociopath too though?

Still a pretty enjoyable show. Laughing

I always go by the motto 'characters don't have to be good people to be good characters. They just have to be fun to watch.'

I am having fun so far...but I have only seen one episode. Hoping I won't have to eat my words.
andramus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:07 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I took it to be about someone who is expert at emotional manipulation and can read people like a book breaking a person down until they're nothing but a compliant sex slave. She knows exactly how to make someone experience physical pleasure regardless of whether or not they actually want to. In addition she can tell what they are thinking and feeling and use that to expertly manipulate them.

Ultimately whether you can go along with this plot point comes down to what you believe about the nature of free will and whether or not it's possible to rewrite someone's personality to such a degree.

It's odd because I don't believe in things like gay conversion therapy but I can buy into storylines like this. Maybe it's because the former is about changing someone's identity whereas the latter is more about stripping them of their identity completely.
andramus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
By the way was this series supposed to be part of the daily streaming reviews? It's approaching the halfway point and I haven't seen any reviews up yet.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:58 pm Reply with quote
andramus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101 wrote:

Has that page been updated because I thought I checked it a couple of days ago and Lynzee Loveridge was marked down to review Idaten Deities? Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:08 am Reply with quote
andramus wrote:
Redbeard 101 wrote:

Has that page been updated because I thought I checked it a couple of days ago and Lynzee Loveridge was marked down to review Idaten Deities? Maybe my memory is playing tricks on me.

Yes it was updated, and the previous version did show what you remembered, where it was scheduled for streaming reviews.

ANN preserves previous versions, so you can see for yourself. At the bottom of the article it says:
"this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history".

Here is the previous version
andramus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
Yes it was updated, and the previous version did show what you remembered, where it was scheduled for streaming reviews.

ANN preserves previous versions, so you can see for yourself. At the bottom of the article it says:
"this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history".

Here is the previous version

Well that's a bit disappointing. I wonder what happened. Did it just end up on the streaming reviews list by mistake?

Idaten Deities is a bit of a surprise hit for me this season. It's zany/wacky style mixed with brutality and sociopathic chararacters gives me Dorohedoro vibes.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I would like this show more if it wasn't so try hard in its edge to be dark and serious, but then clash with its more neon pop art style and cartoonish violence.

It feels so try hard like a late 80s early 90s ova series or something like Angel Cop or Violence Jack.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2