• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lupin the 3rd Part 6 (Spoilers)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:26 am Reply with quote
As someone who enjoyed Part V immensely, I had high hopes for Part 6. And while maybe that set my expectations too high, even judged solely on its own merits Part 6 feels lacking.

Just like Parts IV and V, this was advertised as being location based. Only where those spent most of their time in Italy and France, Part 6 only spends the first half of the show in London. Another big aspect was that it was supposed to be about Lupin and Holmes. Which not only was confined to the first half of the show, but was also only given 5 episodes: 1, 2, 7, 11 and 12(Part V spent 17 on its main plot). Which ended with them basically saying "Oh Raven no longer exists so lets arrested this man and call it a day".

Then the second half adds an entirely new plot that has no connection to the first one, and also ends Anticlimactically. I get wanting to keep Lupins past a mystery, in which case maybe don't even bother if it's just to end with Lupin saying he has no interest in finding any of it out. That's two story arches that both ended the same way. Both archs have their positives, I actually quite liked Mattea, but taken as a whole it just feels lacking. Maybe they should have just focused on one of those arcs and fleshed them out.

There some other issues, a lot of CG(at least early on), animation wasn't that good and the art style wasn't as bold as the last two Parts. I'm not big on Part IV, both its main plot and a fair few of its single episodes, but at least it had a strong production to back it up. A fair few of the stand-alone episodes being what fans call "Mid Lupin". On the whole that's small potatoes, and there are some pretty good episodes, "The Killers in the Diner" being a great one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1