• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aharen-san wa Hakarenai (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Aharen-san wa Hakarenai (TV)

Genres: comedy
Themes: iyashikei, school

Plot Summary: Short, quiet Reina Aharen sits next to Raidō in class. Aharen is not so good at gauging the distance between people (or personal boundaries), and Raidō initially sensed some distance between the two of them. Then one day, when Raidō picked up the eraser that Aharen had dropped, the distance between them suddenly became uncomfortably close. From "way too distant" to "way too close," Aharen is simply unpredictable.

Apr. 1, 2022 (Fridays; Crunchyroll)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I don't know, the comedy really clicked with me in this first episode. It is admittedly cute, but I think that the absurdist elements were even better, such as when she was pushing he face into the claw machine window, or a bento it his face.

Also, not to get too psychoanalysis for real world diagnosis, but Aharen's poor skill was making me think a bit of autism. Not understanding boundaries.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 3:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

That's right, fidget spinners in anime. And in the same episode we got rap battles for communication. I totally dig the aesthetic of this anime and its comedy. At the end happening to leave on a dog mount, like Chiyo-chan.

Also, on my earlier thoughts of Aharen with autism, it pushed me even further when she cam hooked on the fidget spinner, since they were designed in mind to help autistic people.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:13 am Reply with quote
(She/Her)

S01E12

get that [expletive] stalker the fudge away from me

now .
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:19 am Reply with quote
/(finale)

This was honestly one of the shows I dreaded the most ending, it just really hit me as a show I enjoyed. Two main characters that likely appear neurodivergent, a comedy with romance that made them both interesting. Perhaps not everyone will say it, but to me it was often actually laugh out loud funny, having really good punchlines.

Something quick, I also liked that it didn't look like it make it being a mean joke against Aharen's 'brother' Ren liking to wear female clothing, although I might have liked to have seen more of him. If we are talking about queerness, while we are at it an also mention to Miyahira Sensei, who was likely attracted to Tobaru sensei, when she was accidentally hitting on her. Not big things. Also a bit hard not to read things into Oshiro, who apparently was avoiding being too close to Aharen because her heart would beat from being close.

But talking about love, Raido and Aharen confessed their feelings and became a couple. Aharen apparently planned to confess, but Raido took the initiative Reina could only respond by kissing him, and she thought that she messed up in whatever is considered normal to respond. Her complex in not being good at reading things like normal social cues, can totally relate.

My rating will be Excellent (9/10), which I admit is probably a total me thing. I think most other people would just moan in seeing fidget spinners suddenly show up, while I find the dated element to actually add to the humour. We also had rap battle communication, igloo cafes, and beyblades.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:51 am Reply with quote
I 100 percent agree with your assessment and opinion of the series. I had the biggest smile on my face when Aharen and Raido officially became a couple. I'm definitely going to miss those two, but I have a feeling that we'll see them again!
MaritLage

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Aharen blows on her Rape Whistle .
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this show as well. Raido's constant jumping to wild conclusions about Aharen-san while having the same vacant look on his face that he normally has never failed to crack me up. I liked Nose Bleed Sensei too who also tended to jump to "esteem" conclusions but at least with Raido and Aharen-san she wasn't wildly off base. I hope we get another chance to get too close with Aharen-san (and the others) again.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:49 am Reply with quote
We would personally love to see an Aharen is Indecipherable season 2 where yu find out that she·s actually a lesbian , and Nosebleed-sama finds new things to , ah , "gush" over .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1