• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll's CEO Colin Decker Leaves Company; Rahul Purini Becomes New CEO

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Not really sure whether this will actually change anything moving forward, but best of luck to both in their future endeavors and I hope the company is run well (and pays its employees better).
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:29 pm Reply with quote
This seems to be inevitable with any merger. Someone senior is let go while another person is bought on to appear fresh.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Can Sony & Crunchyroll slow their roll for five minutes? I can't keep up anymore haha
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:04 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Can Sony & Crunchyroll slow their roll for five minutes? I can't keep up anymore haha

This is normal corporate takeover practices. Sweep out the old leadership. Hopefully this new guy can do better than the last person.
zrdb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:36 pm Reply with quote
And all the rats are scurrying to leave the sinking ship before it goes under.......!
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:06 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
And all the rats are scurrying to leave the sinking ship before it goes under.......!

People leaving positions in a company happens even when a company is in the black.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Wait Funimation was poorly managed madness! Reason I never subscribed! Now Crunchyroll has the same management? What reality is this? Also Sony policy of new run shows under a paywall no commercials is just ridiculous exploiting! HIdives web site is so slow loading despite a fast internet connection it’s scary how little funded it is.
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
Wait Funimation was poorly managed madness!

I'd argue the opposite, CR is way more poorly managed the Funimation

Catseyetiger wrote:
...Also Sony policy of new run shows under a paywall no commercials is just ridiculous exploiting! HIdives web site is so slow loading despite a fast internet connection it’s scary how little funded it is.

We've gotten used to getting what we want for free, thanks to Facebook, Google, etc. that we cry wolf when we have to start paying.

Hi-Dive's website is bad because they don't/can't license a lot of the streaming technology we are used to in Netflix, Amazon ,etc.
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:57 pm Reply with quote
My only hope is that he will fix everything in the dubbing side like pay their non union and union only VA, ADR director, staff, Writer with better wages and allowing Remote Recording or Hybrid Recording ( One VA's in studio and the other VA in outside of the states do remote recording ).
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Cant believe us subscribers are worth $500.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:20 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
KitKat1721 wrote:

This is normal corporate takeover practices. Sweep out the old leadership. Hopefully this new guy can do better than the last person.

Tbf in this case, I'm more just making light of the fact that the merger is resulting in lots of updates and news, rather than shock, worry, etc...
Akemi Tachibana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:29 am Reply with quote
Whenever people not familiar with anime or the anime industry takes up am executive role in an anime-themed company, I fear the worst regarding it's future focus on anime and how in touch management is in with the fandom. Most of the time, when an outsider shows up to take over as CEO of any company, that company changes directions or, at least, loses focus on it's original product in the name of maximizing profits.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:57 am Reply with quote
Akemi Tachibana wrote:
Whenever people not familiar with anime or the anime industry takes up am executive role in an anime-themed company, I fear the worst regarding it's future focus on anime and how in touch management is in with the fandom. Most of the time, when an outsider shows up to take over as CEO of any company, that company changes directions or, at least, loses focus on it's original product in the name of maximizing profits.

Quote:
Purini joined Funimation in 2015 and has led the company's growth in global expansion and subscription base.

Wouldn't call him new or unfamiliar with the business or anime in general.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:25 am Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:

No, no, the vessel is being upgraded into a submarine!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
This seems to be inevitable with any merger. Someone senior is let go while another person is bought on to appear fresh.

While I don't know why he is leaving, I don't think it's anything like this. Colin was the architect of Funimation's mergers and acquisitions. Speculation: He may feel that he has completed his project and be moving on...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2