• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll's CEO Colin Decker Leaves Company; Rahul Purini Becomes New CEO

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
Wait Funimation was poorly managed madness! Reason I never subscribed! Now Crunchyroll has the same management? What reality is this?

The one where the company that bought Crunchyroll gets to dictate who runs the resulting merged company.

Quote:
Also Sony policy of new run shows under a paywall no commercials is just ridiculous exploiting!
Asking people to pay for a luxury (as opposed to a necessity) product/service is not exploitative at all. As a consumer, it may not be a business model you are willing to support, and you have every right to complain if you don't like it, but "exploitative" is the wrong label.

Quote:
HIdives web site is so slow loading despite a fast internet connection it’s scary how little funded it is.
Not sure how this is relevant. (Not saying it isn't, I just don't understand your point)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:21 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
And all the rats are scurrying to leave the sinking ship before it goes under.......!

mangamuscle wrote:
No, no, the vessel is being upgraded into a submarine!

I think they're trying to upgrade to a flying aircraft carrier. Remains to be seen if it ever gets off the ground, and if it does, will it stay in flight, or will it crash & burn?
Picky33

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
zrdb wrote:
And all the rats are scurrying to leave the sinking ship before it goes under.......!

mangamuscle wrote:
No, no, the vessel is being upgraded into a submarine!

I think they're trying to upgrade to a flying aircraft carrier. Remains to be seen if it ever gets off the ground, and if it does, will it stay in flight, or will it crash & burn?

WoW the CEO is getting into topic, is this some sort of under cover boss thing to see the CEO on the forums
Blazaking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
This seems to be inevitable with any merger. Someone senior is let go while another person is bought on to appear fresh.

While I don't know why he is leaving, I don't think it's anything like this. Colin was the architect of Funimation's mergers and acquisitions. Speculation: He may feel that he has completed his project and be moving on...

This is what I think too. It seems he was positioned to facilitate the merger, but perhaps not for long term leadership.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:23 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Akemi Tachibana wrote:
Whenever people not familiar with anime or the anime industry takes up am executive role in an anime-themed company, I fear the worst regarding it's future focus on anime and how in touch management is in with the fandom. Most of the time, when an outsider shows up to take over as CEO of any company, that company changes directions or, at least, loses focus on it's original product in the name of maximizing profits.

Quote:
Purini joined Funimation in 2015 and has led the company's growth in global expansion and subscription base.

Wouldn't call him new or unfamiliar with the business or anime in general.

Yeah, this looks pretty promising since fortunately this guy has seemingly been working in high positions at Funimation and CR for a while.
Madaniel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm just wondering what Gen Fukunaga's role is in all of this, is he gonna become CEO of a unified Crunchyroll/Funimation company, or will they keep the two companies separate and he stays as CEO of Funi?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:14 am Reply with quote
Madaniel wrote:
I'm just wondering what Gen Fukunaga's role is in all of this, is he gonna become CEO of a unified Crunchyroll/Funimation company, or will they keep the two companies separate and he stays as CEO of Funi?

He left his position 3 years ago and became a board member or something similar
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:41 am Reply with quote
So, the people who took over Funimation when Sony bought it have now taken over Crunchyroll. I wonder how many of management or admin from five years ago are still working at either location. They should have renamed the combined organization with one of those meaningless titles most corporations are using these days.
appledude1221 productions

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:17 am Reply with quote
It’s been a year since we last got some backlog dubs. We also have some incomplete dubs. Plus we also saw Crunchyroll running away from using their outsourced studios. Crunchyroll has been running away from doing backlogs. If anything Mr. Rahul Purini needs to be fired as Crunchyroll President. He’s doing nothing about the lack of backlog dubs. Purini needs to be fired. After a year waiting and still in this same crap? No thanks enough is enough
fhoosi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Leadership changes can often bring new perspectives and strategies to a company. It will be interesting to see how Rahul Purini will steer Crunchyroll moving forward and what changes, if any, this will bring to the company’s operations and its relationship with employees and fans alike. Exclusive GraphiSoft ArchiCAD 25 promotions for ProCADIS.com customers only. Leadership transitions are pivotal moments for companies, and many eyes will be on the impact of this change in the anime streaming industry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2