• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Smile of the Arsnotoria (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:22 am Reply with quote

Smile of the Arsnotoria (TV)

Genres: action
Themes:

Plot Summary: Here in this magic academy city of Ashram, where everyone is required to live in dormitories, a close-knit group of girls known as "Pentagrams" pursue their studies, including training in manners and magic, to become "true ladies." Arsnotoria, one of the students in Ashram, lives in Dorm 5 and is always with her dormmate friends: Mel, who's the life of the party, Petit Albert, who's quiet and does things at her own pace, Picatrix, who wants to be the class president, and Abramelin, who's always cool. They take classes and work on their school duties together, and they throw tea parties after school in "that room"...

July 6, 2022 (Wednesdays; Crunchyroll)
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:11 pm Reply with quote
So...is something supposed to be happening, because so far, it's been nothing but boring as tar slice of life stuff with nothing all that interesting about the story or its world. It will sometimes cut to some darker subplot happening in the background, but that's about it. It's never really brought up or mentioned.

It makes me wonder if this was meant to be a prequel story hence why this is for some reason labeled as an action anime when there is barely if any action at all.

Easily one of the worst shows this season that is going to get a free pass because anime fans don't have standards other than "the characters gotta be cute"
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:51 pm Reply with quote
What do you mean by "get a free pass"? I certainly wasn't asked for permission for this show to exist. Was there some vote or approval process that "anime fans" had?

The show is apparently an adaptation of a mobile game, so maybe this is the "home" side of that game, as opposed to the part where they go and fight things. Maybe. I don't really know or care. Watching relaxing shows with cute characters where nothing of import happens is a completely valid use of a person's leisure time, and the fact that content was created for that purpose is not a sign that it is "the worst".
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
What do you mean by "get a free pass"? I certainly wasn't asked for permission for this show to exist. Was there some vote or approval process that "anime fans" had?

The show is apparently an adaptation of a mobile game, so maybe this is the "home" side of that game, as opposed to the part where they go and fight things. Maybe. I don't really know or care. Watching relaxing shows with cute characters where nothing of import happens is a completely valid use of a person's leisure time, and the fact that content was created for that purpose is not a sign that it is "the worst".

If you are going to adapt a mobile game where there is a home option and just focus on that instead of the action-focused stuff, then why even bother having the dark subplot at all then? The problem itself is that it offers nothing you couldn't get from other slices of life "do nothing" anime out right now.

It's extremely boring and then every once in a while, there is some hyper-violence that has, at least so far, NOTHING to do with the main characters. We are about halfway through the season and the fact they do nothing and focus on nothing but the most typical cute girl doing cute thing nonsense leaves a lot to be desired.

If your point is nothing, then find another point, because wasting the viewers time is absolutely a flaw.

Also, if anime fans had standards, we wouldn't be getting so many mediocre anime where a lot of the standards are "they be cute and that's it".
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:31 pm Reply with quote
To be clear, I love slice-of-life stuff, but this is so absurdly boring and the fact it keeps cutting to the dark stuff for 20 seconds is absolutely an issue when the story isn't even interested in telling that part of the story.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I agree the cuts to the weird fighting stuff is silly to throw in if it's not going to use it. But this is not a show for the person pressed for time, it's a show for the person who wants to relax after a long day. "Wasting the viewer's time" isn't really a criticism for it. It's not a great version of the style, but I've seen much, much worse. And, having already seen other shows, I'd rather watch something new.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I agree the cuts to the weird fighting stuff is silly to throw in if it's not going to use it. But this is not a show for the person pressed for time, it's a show for the person who wants to relax after a long day. "Wasting the viewer's time" isn't really a criticism for it. It's not a great version of the style, but I've seen much, much worse. And, having already seen other shows, I'd rather watch something new.

just because it's not meant to be story-driven, doesn't mean it can do nothing, but mild tea magic stuff. if that was the point, I would have a different tune, but it's not. it's meant to be a magic action show and the show doesn't even care about what the other half is or what is advertised in the opening.

And that's a problem, you are being defensive about a show you admit to isn't a good version of said slice of life shows.

What is the point of this show when I can go to Laid Back Camp or Slow Loop or something else that does this better?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:13 pm Reply with quote
This show does try my patience sometimes... okay, often... but there is something keeping me watching. Maybe it's just curiosity about whether the SoL will ever in fact collide with the Warning! stuff and if it does, what that will look like.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And that's a problem, you are being defensive about a show you admit to isn't a good version of said slice of life shows.

What is the point of this show when I can go to Laid Back Camp or Slow Loop or something else that does this better?

Because you already watched those? Maybe you're fine with repeat watches of shows, that's certainly one way to consume these kinds of shows. But it's hardly universal.

"Not the greatest" and "shouldn't exist" are not the same thing. What I'm being "defensive" about is the lobbying that other people should stop watching the shows they want to watch in the hopes that they cease to be made, because you, personally, think there are standards that are not being met.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I mean, it would be nice for slice-of-life shows to be more compelling in their laid blackness. Nothing happens and they are just waisting everyone's time by being a show about nothing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Okay, does anyone know what just happened? It looks like it really was about to push the dark parts right into the the soft majority of the show, but then just different.

Were the events happening out of time? Although, I do think their little outing that was taken as fairies did get referenced in the dark side. Does their castle exist sort of fazed out compared to the one that the knights were in? I don't think we even see guards, so seeing them there was weird.

It was way too confusing, without something more definitive, and really makes it feel like there was no point to that side of things. And as it stood on CGDCT side of it, it really was not that impressive. Not good enough (interesting) at being just cute, and not enough of actual impact of the more edgy stuff that it actually gave a point to the contrast. There were points where I thought that if it was me at a different age, or I was able to come in with the right frame of mind, I could be really into it, but I needed something more to actually grab me. I can think of something like Gekidol, where a contrast between a cute surface and more disturbing stuff underneath, even if that wasn't amazing either.

I just can't quite see what the point of this anime was, unless it really was to get people invested in cute girls of a mobile game, while letting them know that there is some darker story too, so go play it if you actually want to experience these parts colliding. Perhaps there are actually some really cool details that if you noticed you could pick up darker or a more interesting story, such that the mystical entities the girls see actually have a scarier true form. But there otherwise wasn't much for me, other than the show needing to keep showing us a girl that is sniffing.

My rating is So-so (5/10), where I can see the pieces that are well made and stuff, it really didn't do much to actually catch my attention.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm just as confused as you are, DP, and for once I could not find enlightenment from the Internet, either. I did the google search thing and couldn't find a single thing to explain this shit. I know there's a game... does the game include the "dark" stuff or was that an anime only thing? If somebody ever finds out, please let me know. I can't believe they made an entire season and never brought these two elements together. The non dark bits were excruciatingly boring.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:19 pm Reply with quote
editing out an accidental double post. If a mod/admin sees this feel free to delete.

Last edited by Blood- on Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I assume the blurry person is the "player" and is the observer the knights kept mentioning who kept getting inexplicably stronger. (It's a little amusing to think about how the party leveling up must seem to JRPG antagonists) But yeah, I don't have any actual good explanations of anything. I certainly never reached the point of giving a crap about what the knights were up to.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:17 am Reply with quote
The cynic in me thinks the knights are an anime only invention designed to sucker viewers like me into thinking this wasn't simply an uber boring fantasy-themed cgdct show and who only hung around in hopes that the two elements would eventually intersect and we'd get some answers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2