• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:41 am Reply with quote

I'm the Villainess, So I'm Taming the Final Boss (TV)

Genres: comedy, fantasy, romance
Themes:

Plot Summary: Being acutely ill, a young girl has spent most of her life in a hospital room playing otome games to fill her time. However, she one day finds herself in the midst of a scene from one of these games as the story's villainess, Irene Loren D'Autriche.

At the banquet to celebrate the end of the academy's winter term, the crown prince and Irene's childhood friend, Cedric Jeanne Elmeier, publicly annuls his engagement with Irene and announces that he is in love with Lilia Rainworth, the game's female protagonist. Aware of the tragic future ahead of her and determined to change it, the young girl resolves to conquer the game's final boss, the "Demon King" and Cedric's half-brother, Claude Jeanne Elmeier, by making him fall in love with her instead.

With time running out, can Irene succeed with her plans, or will she remain bound to the ill-fated ending that awaits her? [-MAL]

October 1, 2022 (Saturdays; Crunchyroll)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I took a quick look at what anime were coming this cour, and this one did stick out. I knew that I could be down for another Villainess anime, see as I liked My Next Life as a Villainess.

And I would say that I liked the first episode. Probably my favourite bit was when she did villainous things like drugging the biscuit that she gave to crow, then holding the crow as ransom. Followed by her having spiked the next cookie she tricked the demon lord into eating with a love potion. Also, the opening part where she refused cry in front of the prince breaking off the engagement, where he actually looks upset that she is not upset. Her making the effort not to be seen hurt, and that the prince was apparently the sort of person.

She at least looks like the possibility of being an interesting character, although I wonder how it will handle the two halves of said character. The person she was in her past life, and who she still remembers as in the current.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Looked like this episode hinted at that the heroine character, Lilia, is likely also an isekai person, with her trying to get of Aileen's would be evil plots. And based on Lilia's diabetes sweet actions with how she interacted with Claude, it kind of looks likely that she is probably creepily obsessed with the would be misunderstood loner archetype, or otherwise disingenuous in playing up what the right words would be to get some super ending.

It is otherwise nice to see Ailene make it very clear that she is no longer hung up on Cedric, and although she might have some sympathy for his insecurities, she isn't letting him control her life. Cedric also losing over why Ailene no longer wants to be with him, and went so far as to say that she was "his woman". The dude has issues, and he should probably work on those before trying to case others as being the problem.

Which could work for good watching that he won't be healthy about things.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Looks like it that was the end, although does kind of feel like a lot was squished into this as a final episode, that it was a bit messy. In general, I kind of see the series as a little messy. It did have some good parts, sort of stuff I want to see, but I would just say that it was consistent enough in quality. Or I would say likable characters. Granted I am not at all talking about Aileen, whi was a pretty good character, and luckily not just a rip-off of Catarina, but most of the other characters could have done with a bit more personality.

It can only go so far in having Aileen playing up the villain role in a situation drugging her bakery goods, while Claude is mostly just an overpowered moody prince. Arguably Aileen could have fit it more often, as I do think they were the most interesting parts of the show. To me the show at its best were these parts where Aileen spat in the face of expectations of her being a woman who either fit a specific idea of dependant (damsel), or that she would have to be emotional in a way that easily could be used to dismiss her as irrational. Special highlights when Aileen wasn't going to let someone get to her by giving them the reaction they wanted, such as at the very start of the show.

It is then an interesting observation that the actual villains of the series wasn't anything like patriarchy, but other women in the ways of the would-be heroine character, and the grandmother innocent queen who I think was using some sort of underhanded power to keep her youth. The men were kind of being used by these women that used the system and perception of being what they should. But again, a little messy when Lilia final battle speeches were having her call Aileen the "heroine", and something about personality, with Aileen saying that she had bad manners or something. I would have thought there be more there, something about being two face and manipulative, or using positions of power to push down those who would be discriminated.

My rating is going to be Good (7/10), worth watching, especially if you want a heroine who can be strong without just being sweet, but I do wish that there was a bit more.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:36 am Reply with quote
Just finished this. Found that the MC got watered down way too quick. It was a tight 12 story arc that wraps up. So no real need for a second season.

But if you are going to be the Villain then be a villain. Instead it feels way too Disney. Overall it had some good humor but was very generic and perfunctory about checking boxes and moving through the story line.

This was an Isekai but it was pretty weakly implemented. Is it a game or is it a life? It implies one thing then plays out often like the other. I feel like each character was inserted like a game but then what is the payoff for caring about them? I’m the end I guess it’s a 5-6/10 for brainless viewing or if you just need to fill a quick 12 ep slot and want things to wrap up. But it wasn’t really good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1