• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Legend of Mana: The Teardrop Crystal (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:29 am Reply with quote

Legend of Mana: The Teardrop Crystal (TV)

Genres: adventure, fantasy
Themes:

Plot Summary: Shiloh, a boy living near the town of Domina, has started to hear a mysterious voice in his dreams. The voice tells him that he has a mission to fulfill.

Then, one day, Shiloh meets two people who happen to be of the Jumi race. The Jumi have long been hunted and killed for the gemstones embedded in their chests, and now, cases of mysterious gemstone thieves attacking Jumi are breaking out all over the world.

Thus Shiloh sets out on an adventure centering around the Jumi gemstones! (-Crunchyroll)

October 7, 2022 (Fridays; Crunchyroll)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I like the character designs and background art. Seems to be a lot of visual imagination going on here. Not sure if that'll keep me around for the long haul but we'll see.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:13 am Reply with quote
Pity that they went with the male MC for the anime. I've always played the game with the female MC, so he feels like some stranger. The female MC did appear in the OP though, so here's hoping she joins later on.
I don't think the MC had a name in the game either?

Speaking of names, it's weird how Ruri (JP) is replaced with Elazul (EN), but Corona (JP) is kept instead of replaced with Lisa (EN). There's also Reverend Nouvelle who is just Nouvelle here, but that's not as big. It feels like the translator didn't bother to play the game or even just look up the English names. There doesn't seem to be a fansub yet that corrects these mistakes.

As expected for an anime that focuses only on the Jumi storyline, some events have already happened before the start of the anime, like Lisa&Bud making mischief in Domina, and the MC visiting the Luon Highway with Niccolo. Of the people in Domina only Duelle, Rachel and Reverend Nouvelle get significant screentime, with Miss Yuka and Mark only shown very briefly.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 4:15 am Reply with quote
Regarding the common complaints from the Preview Guide reviewers,

Even though the first episode takes a long time to show stuff and characters, and the first battle event has barely shown up at the end of the episode, newcomers are still going to be confused with this short introduction. If you've played Secret Of Mana or better yet Trials Of Mana you have some idea of the kind of setting to expect, but they're earlier explorations of the setting that didn't reach its highest complexity until LoM. The popularity of LoM hasn't endured for over 20 years for nothing. It's a very deep world.

The use of the Jade Egg artifact to open up the Mekiv Caverns is shown, but not explained very well. I think showing the MC creating their home with the Mailbox artifact or the town of Domina with the Color Blocks artifact would've made it clearer that it's them putting together the world. I think they'll get around to making this clear later on, but not showing it early on might keep newcomers from giving this anime a chance.

That cryptic opening scene is the Mana Goddess inviting the MC to explore this magical world which has forgotten her, and finding her again through experiencing its many stories. The game shows this simply as text and it's clearer than this scene.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1