• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Level 1 Demon Lord and One Room Hero (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:40 pm Reply with quote

Level 1 Demon Lord and One Room Hero (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 8 volumes by toufu)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio:
Blade
Silver Link

Genres: comedy, fantasy

Themes:

Plot Summary: Ten years ago, the hero Max defeated the Demon Lord. In order to regain his power, the Demon Lord went into a deep slumber...but when he awakens, his body is only a chibi version of its fearsome form.

Now curious to see what his enemy is up to, the Demon Lord visits Max, only to discover the mighty hero living in a dirty one-room apartment. The Demon Lord decides to move in with Max and help his old enemy become a formidable opponent once more.

Air Date & Platform:
July 3, 2023 (Monday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

Could be a funny kind of reverse isekai slice of life. Looks like the seiyuu for Max is the same guy that does Gojou from JJK. Might give it higher priority if the production value is pretty good.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

That was okay, I guess. I'll have to give it a couple of more episodes to see but right now it isn't shouting, "keeper!" to me.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:17 pm Reply with quote
That's pretty much how I feel. I like the idea, and I didn't dislike the characters or the show. The reason I'm a bit hesitant is that while there wasn't much I was negative about, there wasn't much that really stood out that I enjoyed strongly either,at least not yet. My favorite moment was probably when the demon lord was consulting the internet for the former hero's most embarrassing moments (Cheesy interviews, romantic scandals, etc).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:27 am Reply with quote
Nothing amazing, but I like the jokes and characters well enough and seeing a cynical hero down on his luck feels refreshing. In a way, it makes sense for a powerful hero to end up in a not so nice position after the main threat has been dealt with. Though, the hero's downfall was in no small part due to his own actions.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 2 is more of the same craziness. The characters are fun nutcases, the only (mostly) reasonable character is the demon king. I also wonder what is up with the ghost in the closet, she seems to be ignored. Society at large is truly not friendly towards the hero, though there are still some people who are thankful to him, It also seems like on of the hero companions is showing up soon.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2.

I'm up to episode 2 and I'm still trying to figure out this show. I have some... assumptions... from the identity of the woman in Max's closet, which I guess is the MIA party member, to unasked/unanswered question about the Demon Lord and the Demon Lord's... parentage....

Not a lot of Candidates, Zenia. And we're all dying to know, who's the father?

"Not like his p..."

Ah. Eh? Huh.

There's one whole issue here that's going to make or break this show in the West and I'm curious to see how it plays out. Definitely not his p...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Episode 2.

I'm up to episode 2 and I'm still trying to figure out this show. I have some... assumptions... from the identity of the woman in Max's closet, which I guess is the MIA party member

That's my guess, though I don't know if she's a ghost or if the greyness and pale skin are just an artsy effect trying to convey shadows and how long its been since her skin met sunlight.

I thought this episode picked up the pace a bit, and it's starting to drop hints of a deeper picture behind the joke premise.

For example, Max took down the assistant, who is presumably a fairly high ranking demon, and it's obvious Max still has some game. And in two scenes, the demon king was trying to keep Max from getting angry and beating the crap out of people who were provoking him stupidly. That doesn't tie in with my initial assumptions that this anime was going to be about the demon king trying to retrain Max from being a fat, flabby failure and reigniting his warrior spirit.

There's something more going on to Max's decline than what we've seen at first glance, and the endgame isn't really clear to me. That could be interesting if it's not just bad writing. So, yeah, still on for next week.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I know you've all been eagerly awaiting my sophisticated analysis of episode 2 and I shan't keep you on pins and needles any longer:

That chick with the school uniform that the Demon Lord turns into...

,,,it's a good look for him.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:01 pm Reply with quote
The third episode was another strong one. It had bits of very good humor with someone finally seeing the ghost for the first time, it is rather ironic that the person in question is a priest who is not very good with ghosts. We also had the strong contrast between the past and the present. In the past our heroes met and through bloody combat became a group of friends/heroes. In the present we have a neet, a minister who is not beyond blackmail and apparently a violent traitor who defected.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

This show is definitely growing on me. Right now I can easily imagine it finishing as a strong Decent and if it really kicks up a notch or two, crossing over the line to a Good rating may not even be out of the question. We'll see. I had to chuckle when the reporter asked Max if the naked female chasing him was a minor. Man, that dude's reputation really is in the toilet!
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:06 pm Reply with quote
A rather funny episode this week. Between dating options, becoming a demon and trying to become famous on pootube, there was plenty to chuckly about. Besides chuckling the episode also makes you think about a few things. Max may be a shadow of what he once was, but he still wants to remain himself (what is left of him anyway). Demons also seem to have it a lot better than most humans do and the ghost seems more than a little charmed by Max. There also seemed to be some kind of tension between Max and Maou for a moment.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:44 am Reply with quote
Ep4- I forgot this was playing and got caught up. Just had to say I am loving the heck out of this comedy (and lowkey drama). A fairly unique show with really good and balanced writing. This Ep the commentary was precious "all ya gotta do is play video games and scream at the camera... and get 1,000,000...easy money" Laughing Laughing Laughing
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 5 is a rather interesting one. It focused on Leo and his crew and it made clear that Max might have to pick a side in the conflict, whether he wants to or not. It seems like there are valid reasons for Leo's group to oppose the empire and the republic looks like a decent place to live so far. Siding with them makes an enemy out of Fred though. Maou also seems to be pretty powerful again.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:02 pm Reply with quote
This week we had plenty of action with the conflict between the empire and republic heating up. It seems like the empire has the upper hand, though one can't deny that Leo is a beast that can take care of a small army by himself. As for our ex-hero, despite him basically being a lazy bum vegging 24/7, he still has some moves. Finally, that ghost in the closet can be a bit sassy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:28 pm Reply with quote
This has definitely wormed its way into my heart. I'm not really sure what the Demon Lord's endgame here is, but I don't think it's a renewal of the war. Maybe that was his original intent (or maybe not...) but unless it's setting up for a place on the Top Ten Anime Betrayals list, that's not what's going to happen.

Best moments in this ep were the Demon Lord whipping out his trinoculars and Max's "Don't stare at me with your creepy forehead eye." Laughing The opening ping pong game was pretty good too, and the Demon Lord complaint that the bath at home was too small to stretch out his legs got a chuckle, since at home his legs are about a foot and a half long. Also Leo is Dr. Stone's Tsukasa's long lost brother.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3