• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ron Kamonohashi's Forbidden Deductions (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:02 pm Reply with quote

Season 01: Ron Kamonohashi's Forbidden Deductions (TV)
Season 02: Ron Kamonohashi's Forbidden Deductions (TV 2)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 11 volumes, by Akira Amano)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Diomedéa

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, mystery, psychological, thriller

Themes: conspiracy, crime, detective, factions, police

Plot Summary: This unusual duo brings the hidden truth into the light. Ron Kamonohashi, a private investigator with serious issues, and Totomaru Ishiki, a pure-hearted but dim police detective, team up to solve the most baffling mysteries.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: October 2, 2023 (Monday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Season 02: Pending
Available on: (probably Crunchyroll)

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 13 episodes
Season 02: Pending

Total: 13 episodes
----------------------------------

Could be cool. Sounds like a Japanese Sherlock Holmes, except they rolled Watson and Lestrade into one character as his sidekick.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:59 am; edited 5 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:16 pm Reply with quote
The title makes me smile. Not a fan of the detective genre, but I'll watch a few.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Welp, from "Deranged Detective" to "Forbidden Deductions." I feel the former was a cooler name.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. I am disappoint.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Normally, I wouldn’t have tried this anime. I generally find anime cop shows to be uninteresting and bland. I can’t remember half the names of the ones I’ve tried…something about standing my heroes? A special crime unit with the number 7 in there? Holmes in Kyoto? Active Raid? And lots of others that all had the same look and general lack of driving interest as far as I was concerned. They all had characters who were supposed to be eccentric and distinct, and I just thought the shows were trying too hard. Even the ones I liked and watched all the way through…the Millionaire Detective Balance, Police in a Pod…weren’t my favorites of the season or anything. And it might just be that it isn't my genre of choice. Considering some of the shows I do like, it's not like I can claim superior taste or anything.

But last season a bizarre type of online pred-(koff)…esteemed anime colleague talked me into sampling a much wider array of anime at the beginning of the season. And even though that decision caused me no end of suffering, it’s the kind of thing that’s hard to stop once you’ve gotten into the habit. Sort of like heroin. So I gave this one a shot. Umm...not like heroin. I didn’t think I was going to like the show at first. The idea that the inept, naïve and earnest MC made it into a hardened homicide unit seemed contrived even for gag purposes. And the homicide unit didn't seem all that hardened. The police station was all inappropriately bright colors and mediocre animation, and the music was nothing to get excited about. Mood setting was not masterful.

But I found myself kind of enjoying this one once the deranged member of the anime’s odd couple was introduced. I got some genuine chuckles out of his otaku act – like the cushioned floor that he could throw himself down on and doze on at any moment. Once we got to the murder scenario, it was pretty ingenious too. The shortcuts he took to get there weren’t as egregious as some of these Sherlock Holme routines get, but it did seem like only a psychic could make some of those leaps so instantly and confidently, particularly in deducing the method of knocking people out instantly. But it turns out he might really be psychic, so maybe that’s a moot point. Anyhow, I found the deranged detective routine amusing. Don’t know if I can maintain that level of interest if my focus stays on a one character show, but if the crimes stay fresh and the ersatz Watson doesn’t become too annoying, it could work. So…endorsement? Stay of execution for a few episodes? I dunno myself. It's got some stuff going for it, and it's definitely worth a look.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
But last season an bizarre type of online pred-(koff)... esteemed anime colleague talked me into sampling a much wider array of anime at the beginning of the season.

Oh man, you are SOOOOO lucky. You have an intellectually gifted mentor with spectacular taste to guide you through the morass of seasonal offerings. I don't have anybody like that in my life Crying or Very sad Heh.

I tried this and didn't mind it. However, the "new, improved" anime fan that I am no longer is satisfied with "didn't mind it." So I shall not pursue, but it did come close to convincing me to watch the second episode. But t'is the era of Blood- Scissorhands, so...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:00 am Reply with quote
A good detective series can be very addictive and I personally like it even more if there is some sort of supernatural element thrown in. So yeah, I am in for more of this show. The detective duo seems like fun with an act before you think type and an excentric detective with some sort of hypnosis ability. The show does not take itself too serious either, which I welcome, the ultra serious hard boiled detective shows are not for me.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:01 am Reply with quote
So, the case in the second episode was fairly interesting (a bit too simple maybe) and the banter between the two mc's makes for a fun time, but the real hook of the episode was Blue for me. The detective school seems more like an evil organization than anything else. Each member of the board also has a special title including experts related to timetables, tracking and locked rooms.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Ron reminds me a lot of the character Patrick Jane from (The) Mentalist (2008). He's got that kind of Sherlock-ian aloofness, but also a certain level of quirky mischievousness that makes the detective shtick more entertaining to watch. I guess Ron is also pretty close to Benedict Cumberbatch Sherlock, but, in my opinion, is way less of a dick (not to say I dislike that about BC, in fact, he's probably my favorite iteration of the character!).

I'm glad they're sprinkling in some flashbacks of his days at the academy. I feel that with the show being what it is, it'll help accentuate the puzzles of Ron's past and the future of whatever the heck Blue turns out to be. If anything, with how easy the crimes have been in these first couple of episodes, I'm gonna' go on a limb and guess those will help in Toto's advancement as a detective, while the Blue stuff will probably lead to the more difficult cases for Ron. That could be a pretty cool dynamic between the different types of cases to help give the show some variety.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:50 am Reply with quote
Well, last week we had the introduction of Blue and this week one of their members got into action. A relaxing trip to a (crappy) hot spring started of well enough with fun and games (plus the carless Amimiya), but of course there had to be a corpse popping up. The episode had plenty of red flags when it comes to suspects, including the Blue member who can't stop smirking like a psycho.

I doubt that purple hair is the culprit though, they are supposed to be detectives, not killers. The husband being the culprit would also be rather obvious with the mention of the wife wanting a divorce. The question also is what will happen once the culprit has been revealed and purple hair knows that Ron is a detective again.

Also, agreed, Ron is a bit like Jane in that he makes a show out of everything. An entertainer, not just a detective.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 03

I wonder if BLUE's tracker (Spitz Feier) was such a good tracker that he also found and was able to predict the murder of the victim, while using it to test Ron? As much as I love detective mysteries, the more complicated the case is, the more episodes it'll take to solve, as was evident in Undead Murder Farce, hence leaving me on a weekly cliffhanger. But that's good. Instead of the one-off cases like we had in episodes one and two, the difficulty is actually going up a notch.

The wife (Sachiko) and boss-lady (Amamiya, nice side-boob, by the way) were the only ones not present in the room during the time of murder. The husband might've had motive amidst his wife's decision to get a divorce, which seems convenient, but murder mysteries usually aren't that cut and dry. The culprit is usually who you least suspect, so my bet is on Michiyo (the girl who played Life with them), one of the hotel staff (yet to be revealed?), or maybe the wife even just accidentally killed herself, but someone around the compound will just happen to be guilty of something, anyway.

Or, in a far-fetched twist, what if there's some anti-BLUE faction out there, that we don't even know exists, and that BLUE is actually trying to recruit Ron before the other side can get to him? if BLUE are the good guys wanting to solve crimes and arrest people, what if there's also this other rogue group who also solve mysteries, but kill the culprits in some weird vigilante belief, and it's up to BLUE to stop anti-BLUE, at some point. That's pure conjecture, but I'm also on the cusp of finishing UMF (got one episode left), so the outlandishness in me is strong, right now.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Here's my theory, and I'm (justifiably or unjustifiably) confident that I've at least picked up some of the clues. spoiler[The husband switched the "Men" and "Women" signs on the hot springs. He said it was just a joke (If that's what he and his wife were arguing about) but he really did it because he didn't want the squad chief going in the woman's hot springs. That's because he'd made some kind of preparations that made the waters toxic - something dissolvable that gave off toxic fumes? They went out of their way to mention the leaves didn't belong there naturally too. Or drugged the wife so that she'd slip into the hot water and drown. In any case, he was the one who suggested she take a bath. Whether the other guest is his lover or something I couldn't say. ] That's my best guess anyway.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Huh, that episode surprised me in several ways. I too thought that the argument between the husband and wife was meant to be an important clue, but I ignored it because having it be the husband while the wife is screaming about a divorce would be too on the nose. When hearing about the heart condition of the wife, I became even more convinced that it was the husband, but again, that would be too on the nose.

Well, stupid me I guess, because I assumed it to be the other woman who wanted to get rid of the wife to be with the husband, but it was the husband and he did it for the very same reason. The way he went about it was simple yet effective.

As for mr purple hair, seeing him react to the deduction part made me confused, since it seems he was confused by the solution itself. Seeing the later part of the episode it makes sense, since he is no expert detective. It is a rather big switch to go from the evil smirking persona to the pleading for help one while seeming like a good guy. I can honestly not say whether he is lying his ass off or is genuinely looking for help.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I was just heartbroken to see that Tsukishiro, the eccentric office worker from My Senpai is Annoying, has been reduced to having an affair with some sleazebag and travelling to hotels under an alias.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5 was an interesting one. Not only was it the most wacky episode yet with two very colorful detectives on the case, but the actual case was unique in that the serial killer had been identified and ''caught'' from the very start.

As for Yamane, man that was some twisted logic on his side. I get not wanting to disappoint your frankly neurotic boss, cutting the hands of a dead serial killer and thus compromising the case in order to cover up you losing your cuffs is something else though. The neurotic detective saying Yamane can come back as his partner later on is good on his part, but maybe you should not expect perfection from a person? I can only imagine the pain of having that dude as your boss.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2