• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Frieren: Beyond Journey's End

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I'll echo other's thoughts about the demons and I like how they prey upon the leniency and better nature of humans.

Also, I've been rewatching the series dubbed, and now that I'm no longer distracted by the subtitles, this show is much better animated than I thought, even it's more mundane moments have a nice amount of movement and expression!
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:33 pm Reply with quote
MemoBookworm wrote:
I've been thinking about why this treatment of the demons works so well - I've seen a few people suggesting that it's because it's so rare to see intelligent but irredeemable creatures in media these days, but I don't think that's true - I think it's actually because Frieren comes at it from a completely opposite direction than we usually see.

Usually, when we see species portrayed as intelligent and capable of speech yet still completely evil, it's because a series wants a challenging antagonist but also wants to show the heroes slaughtering their way through them with no remorse - then tacks on that the species is completely evil as a way to avoid thinking about the morality of that.

This show comes at it from the opposite direction - by showing that the instinct of humans is indeed to sympathise with creatures we can talk to - even if they eat humans! Frieren's immediate reaction to the demons comes across as shocking because of that and our natural instinct is to think that she's being prejudiced - when really she's had a thousand years to train herself out of any hesitation when killing them. In a way, this show feels more like the shows that treat demons sympathetically than those that don't because it shows how humans are naturally inclined to empathy, and uses that to make the demons come across as even more terrifying by comparison.

It also helps that I wouldn't exactly call the demons evil - more like they operate on completely different moral standards than humans do. Like with the demon girl in the flashback - I think her desire to 'live in peace' was sincere, but to us a human can 'live in peace' and still swat a fly that's annoying them. Theoretically, a demon could coexist with humans, but how many people would have to die before that demon understood the boundaries of what humans consider acceptable?

This very much mirrors my take. It's difficult to view them as "evil" because it's not really fair to apply human standards to them. That doesn't mean they're not a threat that needs to be dealt with urgently. Maybe combat isn't always necessary, but you should always ignore their words and focus on their actions. Because they don't even really understand their words never mind believe them.

Trying to summarise this episode to my wife (she's still a hard sell on actually watching it sadly) I was struck by a parallel to generative AI. It too, does not really "understand" language in the same framework we do, but can deploy it somewhat convincingly. It merely seeks to optimise for "sequence of words that are believable to humans". It makes slightly odd category errors, doing a good but imperfect and uncanny cosplay of humanity. It does not truly care if the responses to prompts are "true" or not, it's unable to really make that judgement in the way we'd understand it.

It's a refreshing take on "demons".

The introduction is very well handled - Frieren acts quickly and without warning, even hastily. It's quite out of character, which adds to the initial impression for prejudice and that she's maybe stuck in the old conflicts. The slow realisation that's she's completely correct, and her judgement is based not on prejudice but a detailed knowledge of demon behaviour is unsettling. Because were were all the village mayor too, deploying empathy and a desire for mutual understanding. And we were wrong.
absent
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:28 pm Reply with quote
I think they delivered the bit about Stark "wetting himself" a little too seriously in the anime. The close-up of him wiping his pants with the somber background music was weirdly uncomfortable. Just a nitpick, though.

MemoBookworm wrote:
It also helps that I wouldn't exactly call the demons evil - more like they operate on completely different moral standards than humans do. Like with the demon girl in the flashback - I think her desire to 'live in peace' was sincere, but to us a human can 'live in peace' and still swat a fly that's annoying them. Theoretically, a demon could coexist with humans, but how many people would have to die before that demon understood the boundaries of what humans consider acceptable?

Echoing this. Although I did think it was a bit clumsy when Lügner says something like "yes, we demons are exactly as that mage says we are" and monologues about their nature to two other demons. spoiler[A later arc in the manga handles these themes better IMO, but we won't get there in this season.]
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:32 pm Reply with quote
After so many seasons of Kimetsu no Yaiba, I found it weird how Stark didn't say a single thing about his fighting style other than "Wait... I'm actually raw"
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:54 pm Reply with quote
This has got to be one of the most gorgeously animated single episodes I have ever seen.

From the smoothest animations for putting on/taking off and throwing away clothes to the combat animation. Everything looked amazing.

And Fern can look down upon me any day.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Pretty close to perfection.

So many fantastic little details. Little details made big details. Stark putting on his jacket, Fern shedding her coat when she realises what the blood is, the glances and slight narrowing of eyes that say as much as a half-episode of waffle from some Shonen.

Fern might measure herself against Frieren and find herself lacking, but here she manages to embody her mentor and add her own twist. She's rapid casting spells, but she's not "spamming" them, she's super efficient (a lesson she learned with the barrier spells), something that also extends to her movement which is always just enough. No flourishes or needless flapping for our girl here (that little half-step to avoid an attack is so great) just determination and a singular focus on the objective. The battle is a perfect summation of her character.

Stark is messier in his approach, but it's an equally great character study at the same time as being a thrilling fight (his opponent really has some moves, and they're exquisitely animated too).

And of course, Frieren was never fleeing anything (the whole "could be accused of guard murder" thing just being a convenient excuse) She left Fern and Stark to a fight she had confidence they could handle, and sought out the one she knew they could not. She may have a mana pool to rival Aura, or she may not (but she definitely has a plan, she knows exactly what she's facing)... but Stark and Fern definitely don't.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:51 pm Reply with quote
...Am I the only one who finds the series... hilarious?

No really, I came for the retrospective of the mortality of men from an immortal's point of view who tries to find a meaning to an endless existence.

But I stayed for the perfect comedic timing and flawless use of dry humor and poker faces.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I think the show just has great range. Very unusually for anime, it manages comedy, action, and reflective melancholy with about equally impressive skill.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Frankly I was disappointed with Fern in the latest episode. Over confident, over powered and over bland.

I don't mind her wining the fight against the demon but can you emote something? Can you struggle a little bit? Can you show some human expression emotion in your face?

She was fighting like a robot with a boring blank expression. I wanted to see her struggle a bit fighting this demon that is a lot older more experienced than her.

Personally I got bored with this fight.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Recently caught up to episode 8 and watched 9 asap. Really enjoying this series.
It is different than I expected though, I thought it'd be more depressing and continue to move quickly through time (not just at the beginning).
I didn't watch the next episode title preview for episode 8, so I didn't know what the title was until the end of the episode when it was presented in such a great way. Glad I skipped to the next episode with that one Smile
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:50 pm Reply with quote
yuzumei wrote:
Frankly I was disappointed with Fern in the latest episode....Can you show some human expression emotion in your face?...
Unfortunately, this is the aesthetic for Fern and Frieren and has been from the beginning. It is one of my first criticisms and my guess is that the author thinks someone who has lived 1000's of years has seen and done it all and so should be fairly blase'. Not sure what Fern's excuse is, unless she has picked up Frieren's mannerism. Maybe the author thinks emotion reduces your battle effectiveness and so Fern suppresses it?

Still and all, the show has gotten a lot more interesting in the last couple of episodes.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:25 am Reply with quote
^Fern seemed like that since she lost her family (and nearly killed herself) as a kid (she appeared more lively in the family photo), but I imagine being with Freiren only reinforced that type of personality. Now that there's someone else in the group (Stark), she seems to be changing, if only slightly so far.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:26 am Reply with quote
Beautiful episode with top tier animation!

Fern's stoic attitude in battle makes sense. From a young age she was hopeless and suicidal. Having trained under and being raised by two heroes of legend, it is easy to see how focused and disciplined she is.

Our less confident boi is also a great character study.

I have been very impressed with this show and each successive episode! If it keeps this up, it's looking to be my best thing this year, and there was no lack of good series this year. I've yet to check out Pluto, but Frieren is already holding its own against Oshi No Ko, JJK and more!
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:00 am Reply with quote
Fern has been raised by a dying priest and an stoic-emotionless elf for several years, I think that helps.
Also, it's a pleasant departure from the usual overenthusiastic characters of the usual RPG animes.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:07 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't mind meeting a more lively character at some point, but the show is kind of suffused with quiet, contemplation, and ummm a not small bit of lethargy; it's not even just Frieren and Fern -- Stark's not all that outspoken, either, nor are the two demons they're battling currently, and basically none of their interactions with the world around them have been clamorous in any way. The show's default mood is subdued no matter the scene or content, and Frieren and Fern seem to embody that.

There are also sensible character-writing reasons Frieren and Fern both behave like that, as others pointed out, but from a writing p.o.v. I wonder if the biggest driver isn't the author's desired mood and tone for the narrative as a whole. It is interesting to see it maintained even in the face of a high-stakes dynamic battle, though, and even while Fern is actively generating dozens of magical attacks in frenetic mid-air combat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 28