• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Frieren: Beyond Journey's End

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LawrenceEdo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Richard! I really like your reviews! You always bring up interesting perspectives that makes me appreciate the episodes even more. Cheers!
Janitor Tzap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:05 pm Reply with quote
EPISODE 28

Well,
Didn't expect Frieren to call Serie a child.
No wonder Serie banned her.
Laughing

Thou,
Serie's way of thinking about what qualifies as the right aptitude for a first class mage seems a bit warped.
{Especially, just letting Übel pass without giving her a reason.}

Lernen challenging Frieren to a duel seemed pointless.
He already knew Serie was disappointed in him alone.
Or was he deluding himself in trying to defend Serie's honor, to get back in to her good graces? Confused

Pity, Lawine and Kanne didn't ask to join Frieren's party.
{But, Lawine's family would of probably objected, if she did try to join Frieren's party.}

So, if the last ending paragraph of this episode can be believed.
There will be a continuation.
Laughing

Signed: Janitor Tzap
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:00 am Reply with quote
Damn! This anime does such a number on me. It reaches straight into my tear ducts and at the slightest pull, unleashes. I hate goodbyes on any level, human, animal and my entertainment. I know there's more to come and I can see one or two of this arcs now 1st class mages appearing down the road, but it's still sad, (and that ED song doesn't help). How long the wait will be is anyone's guest, (unless there's info I missed) but I'm sure going to miss one of the best anime series I've seen in a very long time. So I'm going to end this how I began...Damn!
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Could probably tell Übel was thinking about trying to kill her, so automatic pass.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:57 pm Reply with quote
No surprises on who passed; each of the ones who succeeded not only wasn't overwhelmed by Serie's mana but also had something beyond what those who failed had. (Methode showed great versatility, Wirbel has good combat ability and tactical sense, Land has superior audacity and an impressive ability to operate clones at great distances, Denken has talent and drive, and Ubel is arguably the most dangerous of the lot.)

Overall, the finale is maybe not one of the series' best episodes, but it's still a good, satisfying wrap for both the story arc and the series to this point, one which fully retains the humor, emotion, and sentimentality that have always been cornerstones of the series.

With The Apothecary Diaries also airing its finale today (as I write this), it feels like one of the best consecutive-season periods for anime in recent years is now winding down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:32 pm Reply with quote
No immediate 2nd series announcement for Friren Sad

Albeit looking at the source material we're up to chunk of the way through volume 7 at the minute.

Volume 13 releases middle of April.

So I guess they're going to wait for a while for the source material to progress ?

How does Friren compare to Apothecary diaries in terms of available source material to adapt ? Surprised the Apothecary Diaries got an immediate 2nd season announcement but Friren didn't.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:00 am Reply with quote
Janitor Tzap wrote:
EPISODE 28...Thou,
Serie's way of thinking about what qualifies as the right aptitude for a first class mage seems a bit warped.{Especially, just letting Übel pass without giving her a reason.}

Lernen challenging Frieren to a duel seemed pointless.
He already knew Serie was disappointed in him alone.
Or was he deluding himself in trying to defend Serie's honor, to get back in to her good graces? Confused
Signed: Janitor Tzap
On the first point, I think we were seeing the storytelling economy that has been a hallmark of Freiren. We already know and likely Serie also knows that Ubel took out a first-class mage thought unbeatable and that also well-neigh-unbeatable Sense was worried that Ubel could beat her. Serie and some of the other high-level mages have demonstrated the ability to sense mana changes and signatures so we can infer that Serie knew Ubel took out the Sense-clone as well, so there was little point to explaining why she passed after demonstrating her superior power/ability over other first-class mages.

As for Lernen, Serie hinted that he could kill Freiren and he explained he could gain "everlasting fame/infamy" if he killed the legendary Freiren so IMO it had little to do with gaining standing with Serie. However, he seemed to not appreciate that fame doesn't work that way. People tend to legendary status for going multiple extraordinary things and that status doesn't transfer to someone demonstrating they are "superior" by being able to kill the legend. Like the guy who killed John Lennon, people don't remember him as greater, just as the a** who killed Lennon...

Here, at the last of Freiren, is a rundown of the German words questionably used as names for those still wondering. Shows how much English owes to German. I get a kick every time I hear these...

Freiren verb to freeze/ be cold
Fern adj distant (lazy use: fern--Gina got me!)
Stark adj to be strong
Sein adv to be/exist
Himmel noun sky
Heiter adj cheerful
Eisen noun iron
Flamme noun flame
Denken verb to think
Laufen verb to run/walk
Lernen verb to learn
Falsch adj false
Ubel adj sick/nasty
Wirbel verb twirl
Kanne noun pot/jug
Lawine noun landslide
Richter noun judge
Serie noun series (of things)
Sense noun scythe
Aussherst adj extremely
Tur noun door

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:03 am Reply with quote
I think Fern means "remote" or "distant," which like the other names is pretty on the nose for her. But again, don't speak German, grain of salt and all... Smile
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:33 am Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
No immediate 2nd series announcement for Friren Sad

Albeit looking at the source material we're up to chunk of the way through volume 7 at the minute.

Volume 13 releases middle of April.

So I guess they're going to wait for a while for the source material to progress ?

How does Friren compare to Apothecary diaries in terms of available source material to adapt ? Surprised the Apothecary Diaries got an immediate 2nd season announcement but Friren didn't.

I feel like (being a manga reader), they definitely have enough material to do a 2nd season right now if they pace all the stories out in the right way, since without spoiling, there's some dense material (for lack of a better word) the show could definitely take time to unpack. Now a theoretical season 3 would definitely take more time I think, given the amount of material available now... though hey, maybe not, after all there'll be more manga available by the time a season 2 would be finished.

ANYWAY. I'm not sure if this show is my new favorite anime of all time, I'd have to reflect on that a little longer, but it's definitely right up at the top. I'll definitely say it's hands down the biggest glow-up I've ever seen a manga get in being adapted to an anime. Like, you know sometimes people will be annoying talking about "you should read the manga", but I do not think that's the case here. Like yeah people should read the manga, support the author, etc., but the anime basically skips nothing, stretches out things like fight scenes (which are often resolved in mere panels, or even straight up off-panel in the manga), and does a great job adding nuance to the characters' expressions and dialogue via the voice actors' performances. Now that the show's over I've been going through and watching the dub and they've killed it on that side as well imo (my only real complaint is that Denken's voice is higher and it threw me when I heard it. Got used to it though)

Anyway, absolutely praying for a season 2 and praying even harder that we don't get some kind of One Punch Man season 2 scenario where things are just worse.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think Fern means "remote" or "distant," which like the other names is pretty on the nose for her. But again, don't speak German, grain of salt and all... Smile

You are correct. The German word for the plant fern is "farn".
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:48 pm Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:

Apothecary Diaries animated two light novel volumes out of about 14 released already, while Frieren adapted about 40% of the current manga content. There's enough for a second season for sure, but maybe (hopefully not) we're in a Attack on Titan situation where the staff is all occupied for the near future and they want to keep the best of the best for it
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:

ANYWAY. I'm not sure if this show is my new favorite anime of all time, I'd have to reflect on that a little longer, but it's definitely right up at the top. I'll definitely say it's hands down the biggest glow-up I've ever seen a manga get in being adapted to an anime. Like, you know sometimes people will be annoying talking about "you should read the manga", but I do not think that's the case here. Like yeah people should read the manga, support the author, etc., but the anime basically skips nothing, stretches out things like fight scenes (which are often resolved in mere panels, or even straight up off-panel in the manga), and does a great job adding nuance to the characters' expressions and dialogue via the voice actors' performances. Now that the show's over I've been going through and watching the dub and they've killed it on that side as well imo (my only real complaint is that Denken's voice is higher and it threw me when I heard it. Got used to it though)

There are several cases of adaptations of manga being much better than the source material. K-On! is the textbook example of an anime adaptation that vastly surpassed the original manga source material to the point the K-On manga fells like a it was only an initial draft of the storyboard of the show.

Quote:
Anyway, absolutely praying for a season 2 and praying even harder that we don't get some kind of One Punch Man season 2 scenario where things are just worse.

I think the industry is learning how to not screw up, so it's unlikely there will these kinds of problems. It's true the lack of announced 2nd season might be an issue since it can mean the show will be adapted by another studio (which would be almost certainly bad news, given how perfectly made this first season was).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jabootu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In contrast Fern had the audacity to correctly criticise Serie's mana control and that "spark" convinced Serie to pass her.

I don't think Fern criticized Serie's mana control so much as she just recognized that Serie, like her master, was suppressing her mana. Part of the reason Serie is annoyed with her present student is that despite studying with her for decades he never detected her own mana fluctuations the way Fern immediately did, and despite the fact that he did detect Frieren's. This itself in turn suggests that Serie's control over her mana is far more impressive then Freiren's.

This leads to further interesting notions, such as the probability that it was Serie who taught Flamme to suppress her mana, an idea Flamme then passed down to Frieren. It's intriguing to think that Serie is capable of that sort of subtlety.

Moreover, it suggests that Serie really is unfathomably powerful, since her suppressed mana indicates a double bluff. Serie already evinces so much mana--seemingly as much or more than Frieren's at full strength--that nearly all but the very most powerful mages would avoid confronting her. Yet if they were ballsy enough to try it, they would be in for a rude awakening, as the massive amount of mana they do see is itself a mere fraction of what she truly has.

Man, I love this show's worldbuilding.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:

This leads to further interesting notions, such as the probability that it was Serie who taught Flamme to suppress her mana, an idea Flamme then passed down to Frieren. It's intriguing to think that Serie is capable of that sort of subtlety.

Personally I think it leads to another notion which is basically yours in reverse. We know now that even though Serie's even more awkward and emotionally stunted than Frieren, she does still care for her students, remembering all of them and their favorite spells. It's possible that she saw Flamme's mana suppression technique and even though she claimed to see it as pointless, she did actually see the value in it after all and started doing it herself.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Personally I think it leads to another notion which is basically yours in reverse. We know now that even though Serie's even more awkward and emotionally stunted than Frieren, she does still care for her students, remembering all of them and their favorite spells. It's possible that she saw Flamme's mana suppression technique and even though she claimed to see it as pointless, she did actually see the value in it after all and started doing it herself.

Yes, that is possible. After all, mana suppression is a weaponized concept--deception has always been a pivotal factor in war--and one demons are, as the series has well explicated, especially vulnerable too. So it is indeed an idea she might find appealing, unlike a "useless" spell like creating a field of flowers.

If that were true, though, I'd expect her to be embarrassed than excited by Fern's detection of it. Adopting a student's notion seems a bit out of character (at least as I currently understand it) for the imperious Serie.

Man, I can't wait for this series to return so we get a bunch of new puzzle pieces to integrate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 28