• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shangri-La Frontier

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:33 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
@Emerje I believe the game can generate new NPC's for different users of the same Unique Scenarios since it was made clear to others can do unique scenarios if they know how to trigger them. But the individual NPCs have been said to have but a single life. So it makes sense the Unique monsters have a proper history to them.

It is like a VR Dive Isekai in the way it is making the npc's out to have their own fleshed out personalities and the question of sentience.

See, I took that as meaning the game puts them in the path of existing Unique NPCs and goes as far as creating a scenario for the specific player that unlocks it, otherwise it isn't "unique" if more than one person can do it. We got a look at that computer running in that massive server space, it seemed mysterious enough that it would be able to simply spit out its own story lines as needed, but also showed that story progress was at 0% which to me means that despite his low level he's probably made the most progress in this world. So far no Unique Monsters have been beaten, and I'm not sure if we even know yet if any other Unique NPCs or scenarios have been encountered (if we do then I've clearly forgotten). We'll get there eventually, probably by the end of this arc.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Ep12-The show just keeps getting better. I had a laugh at the bit at 12:39 and made me wonder if the animators threw in this possible 100 Girlfriends.. reference and commentary? There was a guy in the group too! But the show also brought the heart at the end introducing Toki-hi-no-Setsuna and I wonder if the next Ep will generate some tears as well...
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. This arc does pick up pretty soon, but I hate to say, there definitely will be more grinding-type scenarios in the future.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:27 pm Reply with quote
This show had a strong start but never managed to maintain that momentum. Yeah, the idea of a low-stakes story focused around people playing a game started fun but most of the time the series has just been focusing on the boring stuff in the game like the constant training. These are the kind of things a streamer would do offstream so they don't bore their audience.

Here's hoping it manages a strong finish.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
He does offer his opinion in the reviews it is just not debated over by himself which is a style used by many others on the site.

What do you mean about their reviews not being "debated over"?

Also, to anyone familiar with the source material: At this rate, about how many volumes of the manga are going to be adapted total?
Cryten

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I mean he does not argue different points of view. IE he does not debate his own opinion sections to make a point. He simply states his opinion in 1 or 2 sentences. It is a style that many reviewers will use to analyse points of view.

For example Rebecca often uses the technique for contrast: (Ep 4 Apothecary Dairies)
spoiler[Although I am not usually a proponent of violence, I can't help but feel that Maomao was 100% in the right when she slapped that lady in waiting.]

spoiler[It would be easy to think that she just doesn't care about anything or anyone, but her dedication to making sure that Lihua recovers says otherwise (as does the slap)]

vs
It's nice to see Sunraku outside the video game and get an idea of what his average real life looks like, even if it is just playing other trash games.

Please note that I was saying that AJ Does offer his opinions in his reviews. It is just more straight forward.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
I mean he does not argue different points of view. IE he does not debate his own opinion sections to make a point. He simply states his opinion in 1 or 2 sentences. It is a style that many reviewers will use to analyse points of view.

For example Rebecca often uses the technique for contrast: (Ep 4 Apothecary Dairies)
spoiler[Although I am not usually a proponent of violence, I can't help but feel that Maomao was 100% in the right when she slapped that lady in waiting.]

spoiler[It would be easy to think that she just doesn't care about anything or anyone, but her dedication to making sure that Lihua recovers says otherwise (as does the slap)]

vs
It's nice to see Sunraku outside the video game and get an idea of what his average real life looks like, even if it is just playing other trash games.

Please note that I was saying that AJ Does offer his opinions in his reviews. It is just more straight forward.

Aah, so you meant like that. Yeah, their reviews tend to pop and be contained to the reviews themselves. Thanks for the clarification, I just had a bit of trouble understanding that, for whatever reason.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:52 pm Reply with quote
[quote="InfiniteNothingness"]
Cryten wrote:
"?

Also, to anyone familiar with the source material: At this rate, about how many volumes of the manga are going to be adapted total?

The latest episode adapted chapters 29 and 30, which is in volume 4. The anime has been adapting two to three chapters per episode, so I estimate it’ll cover up to the mid-50s, which would place it ending around volume 7.

HOWEVER, a wild card is an upcoming fight that spans over 10 chapters…I have to assume it’ll be condensed more than usual.
Cryten

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:08 pm Reply with quote
As opposed to AJ I am actually quite interested to see how 2 mid level characters and 1 end level character, even with the pro game strats of dodging attacks, plans to take on an entire pvp guild. For me the experience of progressing through the game along with the good production values and entertaining characters is what has kept me liking the show. The boss character fights has more just been the final exam for the experiences until then.

I do not feel like Rakuro training his reflexes is a downside or slowing the pacing. I feel like it is quite a natural part of his story. And heck we arnt in this for the computer game systems are we? We are here to see how this guy who likes to bend broken games to his favor will in a more well made game and how interesting the game can be outside of just combat rules.

Though I can certainly understand being eager to see how weathermon is when it brings Rakuro onto a level playing field with max level players.

One point of order I have to wonder about though. Why care about all the experience this boss monster gives when you are an end game guild. The items I understand.
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The first third of this episode was just Sunraku training a newbie in a completely different game. While it was fun to get a little bit of insight into the culture of glitch discovery, there is a part of me that feels like I'm reading an extra side chapter at the end of a volume that could fit in the original story but was separated because it may ruin the pacing. Except in this case, it was added in…and ruined the pacing.

Well I can at least say that part of the story is not an extra side chapter at the end of a volume (it adapts chapters 27 and 28, which are the second and third chapters of volume 4).
And while I haven't read the original Web Novel (Unlike many other series, there was no Light Novel in between the web novel & the manga), I'm fairly certain it was part of the main plot there as well given spoiler[that the newbie ends up being an important character].
But I can appreciate that a good number of people will not really vibe with the pacing, even though I cannot relate them at all. The series keeps me engaged at all times, and thankfully it seem like most people online (or at least, the ones who: a. I pay attention to, b. were convinced to try the show out) have connected to the series in the same way I have.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I just caught up on the show, and yeah, I think it would be frustrating for me to watch week-to-week (as opposed to over 2-3 days like I did.) Much of the show just feels like very pretty filler. Not all of the grinding and sidequesting is created equal, and like reading/watching a Let's Play, sometimes its more advisable to do such things off screen. That said, the fight with the Ashura Kai is potentially one of the more engaging of the detours.

As to why they'd want to keep an exp farming spot open- I'd suspect 2 things. Training new members, and skill exp. For the latter, many games give skill growth depending on either the monster's strength or occasionally the monsters strength relative to the characters (I think this got mentioned as the case early on, though not in any detail). And at a forced 150 level gap, that could be a very high multiplier to skill acquisition and improvement.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:31 pm Reply with quote
It's odd, but this is one of the few anime (maybe even the only one?) I can think of where I've actually thought framing much of the experience via gaming elevates the story a bit. I think it helps that the entire experience isn't in a game world, and, especially, that the author actually seems to know a fair bit about game design; the 'trash game' where fights are contests over who knows the more interesting bugs always gets a smirk out of me, and the casual, correct use of terms like 'hit box' is nice to see.

I usually loathe this kind of thing, but I guess, as is so often the case, it's because I normally associate it with absolutely mediocre, low-effort, poorly executed storytelling.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Shangri-La Frontier is a breath of fresh air because almost every other anime that uses game terminology barely seems to know what they’re talking about. This one goes in-depth (maybe too much), but it truly does feel like how this kind of game actually works.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I definitely felt like MrAJCosplay this week once we got the new side quest of taking down the PVP guild came up.
It makes sense that it might need to be done since it seems like the boss only shows up once a month or something and they don't want to have to fight everything all at once, but then this should have been brought up sooner. At least then it wouldn't have felt like we're taking a detour to get to the fireworks factory.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:45 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
InfiniteNothingness wrote:

The latest episode adapted chapters 29 and 30, which is in volume 4. The anime has been adapting two to three chapters per episode, so I estimate it’ll cover up to the mid-50s, which would place it ending around volume 7.

HOWEVER, a wild card is an upcoming fight that spans over 10 chapters…I have to assume it’ll be condensed more than usual.

That's good to know! Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6