• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shangri-La Frontier

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh? I haven't read the source material at all and it's as much a joke as a guess, even. But sure, happy to add them.
SteelBlaidd

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:11 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
b-dragon wrote:

We've been told that this is a god-tier game- a counterpoint to the awful, janky messes Sunraku normally plays. And I've had my doubts- in particular the skill system seems an unwieldy mess. But the narrative design choices, assuming I understand them correctly, seem...amateurish at best. Rookie mistakes.

Maybe the average VR games are just a step or two above the trash games we've seen so by comparison this game is godly? Or perhaps it's just how "alive" the world is that makes it top tier? Outside of the scripted events, the AI seems to be quite good. Though we don't know how that compares to other games...

I think its important to note that the player base was completely unaware of this World Story up to this point. The god tier designation was based on playability, graphics, play style freedom and combat level balance in a fully realized and deep world.

It's possible Weathermon was conceived as needing a coordinated raid by a couple of hundred people to beat. Something you would only get once every one on the server is aware of the World story and actively trying to complete it.

The unholy trinity beating him is a flock of black swans.

Katsuo is a PROFESSIONAL gamer. This is his job. And spoiler[ he's in the top 1% world wide ]
Pencil is a Xanatos level schemer who is personally loaded (though I expect it's a point of pride for her that she only plays with in game earned money), has no moral limits and is in love with Setsuna.
And Sanraku is just broken as a player. His preferred games have not only traind his reflexes and targeting precision to Olympic levels, but have refined his natural hacker mindset to rapidly exploit any opening in the game mechanics that the devs have left . No matter how small. And his irl luck stat is maxed.

No one could have anticipated any one of these bozos much less all three ganging upbon their poor little boss.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:33 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
They stuck the landing; I am officially of the opinion that they did this fight justice. Good stuff!

The only downside is that, as a manga reader, I don’t see how the rest of the season will match up. I would’ve wrapped it up in the next two episodes if I was in charge.

Yeah, I remember saying this a few weeks ago because I feared the rest (or most of the rest) of the season would be too low-key compared to the big boss fight. I’m enjoying these episodes, but I can easily see how someone wouldn’t. Potentially feels anti-climatic.

That said, I’m confident that the actual season finale should leave us in a good spot.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:00 pm Reply with quote
If well it's true everything the reviewer says... its kinda hard to get mad at the series when it has never tried to be anything more than a glorified "Let's play".

And games go from killing god-like entities to just dungeon grind back and forth so...
J-l33

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Episode 24: there was no need for this to be a full episode. This literally could’ve been an SLF Mini tacked onto the end of last week’s episode. Not sure if there’s meant to be more, but if not this is a very anticlimactic way to end the season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Is there a reason he can't just sneak back once they disperse and snag the stinger? That worked for all the other pieces he picked up. It's not like they hang around and guard fallen crystal, or someone else is going to wander in to pick it up first. If that were the case, the crystals probably wouldn't be worth much anyway if you don't even need to mine it, like the black ones.
borisdrakoni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Is there a reason he can't just sneak back once they disperse and snag the stinger? That worked for all the other pieces he picked up. It's not like they hang around and guard fallen crystal, or someone else is going to wander in to pick it up first. If that were the case, the crystals probably wouldn't be worth much anyway if you don't even need to mine it, like the black ones.

I forget if it was ever mentioned, but there's probably some kind of timer that causes loot to automatically despawn if no one picks it up within a set period. A lot of games implement that kind of feature in one form or other. In that case, the stinger would most likely have disappeared on its own by the time Sunraku made the trek back from town.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Man, Yuma Uchida puts his heart and soul into Sunraku and singlehandedly sells the show. I wouldn't have any other VA making his depraved gamer noises. The "JUST ONE MORE RUN" feeling of this episode is intensely relatable. This is the sort of thing I watch gaming anime for.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, this season is definitely going out with a bang! So happy that The Professor has finally shown up (gotta love the avatar) and Aramis the Musketeer Cait Sith (Voices of the Heart, The Cat Returns reference) is such a character and the VA is going full ham (voiced by Himoru Mineta, couldn't find a mention here)! They are doing a job setting up for the next season, I can hardly wait!! Anime catgrin
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:09 am Reply with quote
I would’ve been more critical if season 2 wasn’t already confirmed, but I will admit, it didn’t reach what I assumed was going to be the stopping point.
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
However, the problem with Shangri-La Frontier—which has permeated throughout most of its run—is that it doesn't know what it wants its focus to be.

I would disagree, I think it knows exactly what its wants its focus to be: both. It is just that some people are not going to like it focusing on both.
Quote:
it flip-flops between things being important and being silly, it seemingly goes out of its way to ignore forward narrative momentum

Sounds like any beloved game with side stories or side quests (Final Fantasy XIV, Yakuza/Like A Dragon, etc.).
Quote:
However, it also feels like someone needed to slap the writer on the hand and tell him no whenever they wanted to lean too far into those moments that aren't truly engaging unless you're the one playing the game. The show had way too much fat on it that needed to be cut. Normally, I like extra fat on my meat but there was so much here that my jaw ended up feeling hurt from all the extra chewing.

Hard disagree, it may just because I spend so much of my time watching other people playing video games, but I am fully engaged with all that Sunraku does in SLF. And the only nitpicks I've really had about the anime is how it trimmed fat from the manga. IMO you can never have too much fat on the meat (granted, at a certain point some of that fat needs to marbled within the meat instead of just sticking out on the edges, but even in that case the metaphor extends perfectly with comparing it to a story).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6