• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shangri-La Frontier

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Just here to say that a sign an adaptation team is really good is when they can make a recap episode entertaining enough to watch 'till the end without leaving one feeling their time was wasted. Ep14.5 was about the best such I've ever seen, character commentary at the start to get the viewer engaged but tailing off and used sparingly where appropriate to keep from getting in the way of the scenes. They condensed the overarching story while keeping the important elements and drawing the viewer's attention with a couple of extended scenes to the really pivotal moments. Plus adding a little of the next episode at the end that highlight how those events will dovetail with the overarching story and again, setting the tone well. Got me hyped and not disappointed that the Big Fight is delayed a week...

Edit:Ep15!- The flower symbolism continues to be a neat touch to visually tip off the audience. Red spider lillies in the Hidden Garden meaning sad memories that surround Setsuna and in the intro here Red Anemone with a few White which could have several connections from "offering for the dead", "forsaken love" to "anticipation of a birth" or "new beginning" depending on the geographic location. I'm no expert and not sure if the team is leaning to the Japanese or European meaning, but all can fit the situation here and it's beautiful. With all the clues, I'm predicting the pendant Emil gave Senraku contains a hologram of or message from Setsuna and that the "defeat condition" is "reason in middle of battle" type, possibly to clear up the "little lie" that caused all this. Aniki Vash certainly is connected much more to Wethermon and Setsuna than has been evident so far so I wouldn't be surprised
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Simultaneously excited and super nervous to see if the anime is able to live up to art of the next couple chapters' worth of content. The anime's quality downgrade on Wezaemon's Cloud fist attack has me a bit concerned that they will skimp out on the visual flourishes of spoiler[Tensei].
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Re: Last weeks episode: I liked the fact that their plan for the PvP guild was to sick the other guilds on them.

Entertaining episode, though I hope the boss fight doesn't take up another episode next week without being resolved.

I agree that we don't have a good sense of the value of currency or the time it takes to earn it from what we've seen. I think the only big purchase we've seen was when Sunraku bought his skills, but given how he's been playing it's hard to gauge how that compares to most player's incomes.

Speaking of money spent, it's odd to use the more expensive full health revival items first, when the half-health revival items would have worked just as well considering they're just getting one-shot.

Quote:
There is more of their quick thinking, and it was funny that their best solution to dealing with the Boss was to tie himself to its face, but it does suck some of the tension away from the fight when things get progressively more cartoony

Agreed, though it does show (again) just how versatile this game is that you can do something like that. Kudos for the archeology job using a whip btw.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:50 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

Entertaining episode, though I hope the boss fight doesn't take up another episode next week without being resolved.

spoiler[ Better buckle in, I estimate we have two to three episodes left unless they quicken the pacing.]

So far, IMO, the animation has been holding up, but maybe my hopes were up too high, since I was expecting this to be the best looking fight. There’s still time left to wow me, and it hasn’t hurt my enjoyment yet.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
...I think I'm starting understand how unique NPCs and monsters work. It seems like before players came along the world was just its own living place. I get the impression that these aren't just scenarios that they're living but things they actually experienced in real time in the past. Wethermon's backstory is just his life and a real curse that he brought upon himself. Same for the Boss and his seemingly never ending family...
In thinking about Ep17, I believe it is not just NPCs but the whole game and story threads in it as well that are AI generated and the name of that may be "Alice", the girl featured in the "Library" at the end of the new opener. The reason are the many earmarks of somewhat "chaotic" composition, Shangri-La being a fantastical town in Tibet (for mention only?) juxtaposed with SiFi interplanetary exploration backstory (hence Frontier and Days of Divinity) and "standard middle-ages European" setting and Yakuza drama and etc.

If so, despite all this, the AI has learned from other games (including "trash games") what construction and elements will attract and keep players as Senraku tips off this Ep. One plus is that taking this to heart gives the story some unpredictability which keeps it seeming "fresh". It also explains the vacant single-terminal monitor on the "story progress" which also relates to your insight that before the game was released to players, in the computer possibly a huge chunk of inter-NPC interaction and story development happened, giving the NPCs and the setting at large a quasi-realistic history that the players and NPCs interact with rather than everything being "made up as you go".

BTW, in case it wasn't obvious before this, Wethermon=Weather Man as evidenced by his attacks. Too bad no one in their group realized beforehand that connection, that in Japan reporting volcanic activity, earthquakes and tsunami (tidal rush) come under "weather" and that pyroclastic volcanic flows Japan is famous for are characterized by fast-moving clouds of super-heated ash and toxic gas
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I don’t have much to add (really strong episode), but low-key, I kinda prefer this helmet to the bird mask, even if the bird mask is way more expressive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:07 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised that no one has brought up that Sunraku having "Alice"'s ID core is probably an Alice in Wonderland reference, with Emul being his White Rabbit.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:42 pm Reply with quote
They stuck the landing; I am officially of the opinion that they did this fight justice. Good stuff!

The only downside is that, as a manga reader, I don’t see how the rest of the season will match up. I would’ve wrapped it up in the next two episodes if I was in charge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit late in saying this, but making the slash effect of sky clear actually look like a the image of a clear sky was an inspired adaptation choice (and a necessary one, given the impossibility of replicating it's appearance in the manga).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:56 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
They stuck the landing; I am officially of the opinion that they did this fight justice. Good stuff!

The only downside is that, as a manga reader, I don’t see how the rest of the season will match up. I would’ve wrapped it up in the next two episodes if I was in charge.

On the first point, totally agreed!
On the second point, we know from the OP that they will at least make it to spoiler[The Professor]'s introduction. Also, I am interested in seeing anime-onlys' reactions to the stuff with spoiler[the devs, particularly the annoyance with the world story being progressed outside the intended order.]
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... this episode proved less it's more.

Everything going on was super clear and easy to follow, case contrary to JJK which had better animation but I had no damn idea of what going on.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Post removed for excessive spoiling.

Please consider the watching enjoyment of others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I was concerned about the length of the fight earlier, but they certainly made it enjoyable.

Once they started tossing rez items I had wondered if someone could self rez with them with good time, so it was a pleasant surprise to see that implemented here in this last fight.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
..With all the clues, I'm predicting stuff,,,the story..is AI generated and the name..may be "Alice", the girl featured in the "Library" at the end of the new opener
Well, none of that prediction happened and neither did Mr. AJ's "trapped in a game" supposition about Setsuna and it seems that girl may be the "Professor". The location is the newly revealed Royal Library Second Collection which I think is a direct shout-out to Read or Die (I love it if so!). These really show off the writing ability of the author and anime team that the plot isn't so straightforward that one can guess accurately where it is going, or that it has to resort to stupid lazy tricks to make it so and that one just has to sit back and experience the story.

Speaking of, I wonder if the author didn't know someone who had lost a loved one or experienced that themselves because the insert song and Wethermon's character embody the sorrow and aftermath of such a loss so accurately. Takes skill to project that well. Also loving that Senraku keeps imitating Emil's speech "PK-ni.. kowai desu wa" reacting to Arthur.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It seemed likely that she was trapped in the game with Weatherman, but it turns out he was trapped all along. In the real world, Setsuna created the AI copy of herself and the quest to guide people to free Weatherman. This revelation gives more credence to the theory that many of the NPCs in this game are either actual people from the real world or copies of them, which would explain why they're so sophisticated. I was expecting a bit more of a reaction from our cast since this is probably one of the first times it was explicitly stated, "Yeah, I'm sort of from the real world. " The story's build-up to this ball-drop reveal warranted a bigger reaction.
I'd be extremely shocked if any of SF's story and characters weren't just well-written NPCs/AIs. I'm certain that all of the lore is for the game, not the anime.

Anyways the anime's straight fire and I'll check out the manga once it's done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6