• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Apothecary Diaries

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
I am not a fan of JRPGs. But I do think ep. 3 deserved 4.5.

Well then I have good news for you: There's a little interactable star-graphic at the top of this first review that lets you give your own score for each episode.

In a similar fashion, these comments here are open and welcoming to you talking about why you feel the episode deserved that score. Why, you could talk about everything you liked in these episodes, explaining your opinion with others who are watching the show. If you're so inclined, you're also welcome to respond to reviewers' criticisms or analyses of the episodes (Well, specifically respond to Rebecca's here. There's a separate Talkback thread for the Preview Guide if you want to respond to my or James').

However, if all you have to say is that you dispute with the number of little yellow stars in any given review, I encourage you to find something actually worthwhile to raise a fuss about instead of the most reductive and meaningless aspect imaginable.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Maomao definitely makes the show. The mysteries are fine, though wisely the show doesn't spend multiple episodes on these- but Maomao is such an engaging character that most minor gripes I have I can just breeze over. This isn't about the mysteries, at least not yet. It's about the characters (whose names I will struggle to recall through no fault of the writing.)

That said, I am kind of surprised at how easily she took the kidnapping? And that she didn't try to use her newfound position to send a letter to her dad? I suppose she doesn't trust her new position/bosses enough for that.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:38 pm Reply with quote
nl_TvdL wrote:
The whole kidnapping thing felt a little off to me, like she didn’t even care.!

Yeah, this was weirdly portrayed. I get that being a deadpan, curious medicinal tinkerer is our lead's thing (and it's a great quirk), but there's no way she gets literally kidnapped and isn't terrified about what the other side of that might look like. Would have helped if maybe they'd given us some sense that she was initially worried but cleverly figured out their plan was to immediately sell her to the rear palace, so that she had good reason to be more annoyed than terrified (although, even then -- surely it should bum her out intensely to be taken from her family without so much as a goodbye?).

I don't think there's anything particularly weird about the scores. Quibbling over a 0.5 in a scale without an objective definition seems silly; especially since there's plenty about the show that's not as deeply moving (though we're only 3 episodes in) or technically impressive as it could be. I say that despite enjoying the show quite a bit and hoping it further improves from here as it has time to lay more emotional/character groundwork.
Akcoll99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
I get it that some people prefer manga over books but this one is probably is the best written LN I read and official English translation is pretty good so I do hope more people give it a chance (yes, I know the publisher refused to make a paper version but e-books are readily available).

There is a print version coming. Volume 1 is up for pre-order on Amazon for next summer. Listed as coming from Square Enix not J-Novel Club.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:16 pm Reply with quote
This was my anticipated show of season and while I didn't like the first 3 episode quite as much as I thought I would they were still pretty great. I think my biggest issue with it, which seems to be a common one, is that all mysteries are just I dunno... really mundane? In the end its relentlessly charming Maomao and her interactions that are really carrying Apothecary Dairies than any particular narrative and theme for me.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
This was my anticipated show of season and while I didn't like the first 3 episode quite as much as I thought I would they were still pretty great. I think my biggest issue with it, which seems to be a common one, is that all mysteries are just I dunno... really mundane? In the end its relentlessly charming Maomao and her interactions that are really carrying Apothecary Dairies than any particular narrative and theme for me.

There's no supernatural aspect to this series (unlike with, say, last year's Raven of the Inner Palace), so naturally the mysteries are going to be more mundane. Some more complex ones are coming, though; the writing seems to have decided to start off with a few simpler ones while working on getting the setting established.

On other points, I'm coming into this one from the manga, and I definitely feel like the anime version is taking a lot of stylistic cues from the manga (especially on the SD elements) and some scene framing). I am very pleased so far with how this is transitioning to anime form, and agree that Aoi Yuki needs to be called out for the perfectly on-point performance so far as Maomao. I particularly like how this isn't a case of the smart MC looking smart because she's surrounded by a bunch of idiots; many of the people around her are clever and/or astute in their own ways, too. Maomao is a delight, to be sure, but the interactions between her and Jinshi shouldn't be underestimated as a strong draw, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wasureta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:14 am Reply with quote
After three episodes, I think this series will be very fun. It’s Hyouka in a different setting.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:53 am Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:
I’m expecting the first four volumes of the light novels to be covered

If they keep at the rate the 3 episodes did we'll just cover the first 2.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:40 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
There's no supernatural aspect to this series (unlike with, say, last year's Raven of the Inner Palace), so naturally the mysteries are going to be more mundane. Some more complex ones are coming, though; the writing seems to have decided to start off with a few simpler ones while working on getting the setting established.

Yeah, I kept expecting this to be like Raven of the Inner Palace which I loved, but so far this been quite bit lighter. Still its a just matter of adjusting expectations.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:46 am Reply with quote
I don't really understand this fascination with harems/seraglios. They were "places of (sexy) debauchery" in cheap 19th century European (Western) literature, with ladies barely dressed with Arabic-Exotic-ish clothes, heroines/victims subject to the Sultan/Warlord's lecherous intents. And now in Turkish telenovelas and this kind of novels they are "Games of thrones, but only female"; more love, political/dynastic intrigues and less blood.

Also, I don't understand the "business" of kidnapping of MaoMao. In a more realistic world, poor families would BEG to have their daughters admitted into the lowest ranks of servant for the Imperial Harem. Also, for such girls, it's like being kidnapped to have you attending Harvard, lodge, food and clothes "for free",

Also, I don't know if it's part of being a (not) detective, but MaoMao indifference towards almost everything -she puts the limit on people dying- is a bit off-putting. "Oh, a snake bit me, that's not big deal. Oh, I was kidnapped, well, that's too bad".

BUT I am hooked reading this at Manga UP! so I will keep on watching this.

Last edited by kgw on Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
stefand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:54 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
I don't really understand this fascination with harems/seraglios. They were "places of (sexy) debauchery" in cheap 19th century European (Western) literature, with ladies barely dressed with Arabic-Exotic-ish clothes, heroines/victims subject to the Sultan/Warlord's lecherous intents. And now in Turkish telenovelas and this kind of novels they are "Games of thrones, but only female"; more love, political/dynastic intrigues and less blood.

I guess with the recent cases (Raven, this show) it's mainly the intrigues. And besides of european orientalism, the intrigues where surely there at such places.

kgw wrote:
Also, I don't understand the kidnapping of MaoMao. In a more realistic world, poor families would BEG to have their daughters admitted into the lowest ranks of servant for the Imperial Harem. It's like being kidnapped to have you attending Harvard for free.

The kidnapper get a big part of MaoMao's income (that would otherwise go to her relatives). And obviously MaoMao has other interests than doing laundry.

kgw wrote:
Also, I don't know if it's part of being a (not) detective, but MaoMao indifference towards almost everything -she puts the limit on people dying- is a bit off-putting. "Oh, a snake bit me, that's not big deal. Oh, I was kidnapped, well, that's too bad".

I would say, it is part of her character. It's not that she does not mind. But she has a quite realistic approach with things beyond her influence, yet tries to make the best of her situation where she can.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:57 am Reply with quote
stefand wrote:
The kidnapper get a big part of MaoMao's income (that would otherwise go to her relatives). And obviously MaoMao has other interests than doing laundry.

I thought kgw meant: "Why is it lucrative to kidnap girls for the rear palace, when most poor families would be begging to have their daughter accepted into it?" (which is actually a really good question), not "Why is Maomao mad (sort of) about being forcibly taken to the rear palace?"
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:16 am Reply with quote
Poor families do sell their daughters. Maomao's best friend in the laundry was sold by her family. The kidnappers work on the basis that "why should poor families get the money and not us". Poor families have to balance the money and loss of a mouth to feed against the loss of a pair of hands to do work, for kidnappers, it is all profit.

Maomao did not go "Oh, a snake bit me, that's not big deal." She went, "here is a snake, I'll let it bite me and see how it feels" she was enjoying that part (mad scientist, remember).
RenimLS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:29 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Also, I don't understand the kidnapping of MaoMao. In a more realistic world, poor families would BEG to have their daughters admitted into the lowest ranks of servant for the Imperial Harem. It's like being kidnapped to have you attending Harvard for free.

BUT I am hooked reading this at Manga UP! so I will keep on watching this.

In this setting poor families are sending their daughters to be servants in the Imperial harem. There is a contract system where the family receives a portion of the money earned by their daughter. The kidnappers are committing fraud by sending random women in and earning money from them. Which is also a red flag of corruption, since that implies there are officials in on this to aid in getting these contracts approved. As women are treated essentially as a commodity in their society, it's very likely that there isn't a legal way for them to void the work contract either. Though as you said, it's like attending Harvard for free, which is why there are probably few who complain. Of course for servants at the lower levels you're only going to be provided the most basics of food and clothing, and don't expect luxuries like meat in your meals and given the poor quality of their "doctor" shouldn't expect medical help from him either.

Maomao's indifference gets explained in the series. spoiler[It's a combination of growing up in the pleasure quarters next to the slums, where sexual violence and death are common enough, and ]spoiler[heredity].
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:46 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I thought kgw meant: "Why is it lucrative to kidnap girls for the rear palace, when most poor families would be begging to have their daughter accepted into it?" (which is actually a really good question), not "Why is Maomao mad (sort of) about being forcibly taken to the rear palace?"

Yup. I get MaoMao is upset (not too much, truth to be told, but she's clever to not to make a fuss), but I fail to see what's the point of the kidnapping "business". Also, MaoMao had a pretty good position as brothel's apothecary but for a girl of a poor family, being a servant in the palace, even as humble washerwoman is a HUGE life improvement.

Alan45 wrote:
Poor families do sell their daughters. Maomao's best friend in the laundry was sold by her family. The kidnappers work on the basis that "why should poor families get the money and not us". Poor families have to balance the money and loss of a mouth to feed against the loss of a pair of hands to do work, for kidnappers, it is all profit.

It still does not make sense to me. Throughout history, numerous impoverished families have sold their daughters/sons to even worse places or simply given them away for free, (horrible as it seems) just to provide them with a place to live and/or have one less mouth to feed.

The palace should not have to buy unwanted girls from kidnappers; they probably have dozens of willing girls - more or less- to work for them, even for free. In the real world, it was necessary to have good connections to work even as a dishwasher in an Imperial/Royal palace -which is logical; you don't want anyone to touch the royal clothes, much less the Queen herself…
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 30