• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Seed FREEDOM Film Screens in N. America on May 7-8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Not surprising but it's such a bummer we're stuck with the new Gundam Seed cast. What a downgrade...Here's hoping they at least don't try to dub any songs this time.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:51 am Reply with quote
NO NO NO should been originals dub cast indeed 20th year yet movie had band back together reunion & re-living GS days.

Unless we get another dub versions with originals cast?
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:27 am Reply with quote
KLAC wrote:
NO NO NO should been originals dub cast indeed 20th year yet movie had band back together reunion & re-living GS days.

Unless we get another dub versions with originals cast?

Why is it that you, like so many others, cannot accept the fact that the original dub cast cannot/will not come back? Sunrise ORDERED a NEW dub when the HD remasters were brought over. Most of the original cast has gone on to other studios or flat-out retired. They aren't coming back.

You need to let it go already.
KrowRhogan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:14 am Reply with quote
My only complaint about the new dub voices are name pronunciations, like with Lacus in particular. It would be nice if the VA from the Ocean dub could reprise, but that's probably not gonna happen.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:23 am Reply with quote
Gundaminfo's Tube uploaded the first six and a half minutes of the film to its YT channel. (For N. America.)
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:31 pm Reply with quote
It really is the name pronunciations that get me. I know the argument is amde that they are more accurate or faithful...but when you grew up with the ocean dub, hearing Lacus pronounced differently is off-putting.

And, as someone who hasn't watched the Destiny redub yet...I had no idea they also changed Lunamaria's pronunciation too...but the 6 minutes showed otherwise...jfc

That said, if anyone seriously thought they were going to bring the og cast together for this film were seriously deluding themselves.
zalminar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:
And, as someone who hasn't watched the Destiny redub yet...I had no idea they also changed Lunamaria's pronunciation too...but the 6 minutes showed otherwise...jfc

At a certain point, it's just a different name altogether. In the case of "Luna Maria" in particular, I dunno what it's supposed to be faithful to, certainly not the Japanese pronunciation, and they still write "Lunamaria" anytime the name appears in English. I always thought it was a play on the lunar maria basalt plains, but that also sort of goes out the window if you want to believe the new pronunciation is more accurate, as I've only ever heard the plains pronounced as "MAR-ay" (like the Japanese and original English dubs).
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Just watched it in the UK on the back of its initial two day run being extended to two weeks, last two showings in my local cinema were near sell outs!

First half is a standard Gundam story, second half is basically non-stop large scale fleet action (good for fan service but probably doesn't benefit the films structure).

Good:
* More detailed CGI models
* The Millennium is a cool new ship, Obviously based on an enlarged Minerva, but with some further Archangel elements added.
* Comedy, particularly two mid battle jokes at Cagalli's expense drew huge laughter in the cinema as well as Shinn being a recurring comic foil.
* Lot of previous hero suits get meaningful cameo's as well as non-speaking blink as you will miss it character cameos, see if you spot the less than a second Andrew Waltfeld is onscreen.
* The Hyaku Shiki... sorry Akatsuki, actually gets to do something useful.
* All your favourite songs return including my favourite, TM Revolution's Meteor which gets played in full with vocals.
* Remember the classic radar blip scene where Kira targets every mobile suit on the battlefield? Yeah that gets taken to 11!
* Think head mounted CIWS are weak? spoiler[ Watch the new forehead beam simultaneously slice three warships in half ]
* Z'Gok is another UC Zeon suit making the transition to CE, the one that appears in this film piloted by Athrun is even more powerful than when Char was piloting it spoiler[its hiding a secret ]
* New twist on the Jet Stream attack.
* Random observation but the Enemy flagship appearance and combat seems to draw inspiration from the Reman Warbird in Star Trek Nemesis.

Downsides
* The Universal Century and Cosmic Era Gundam trope of a female officer defecting when she meets a pretty boy that shows her some attention returns. Rolling Eyes
* No new mecha really, just updates of existing CE designs and the classic UE Zeon suits continuing to be reintroduced such as the Gyan and Gelgoog. The baddies get recolour variations on the Freedom and Impulse, but with capes!
* Lacus face in particular regularly goes off model (despite her being the leading lady) and she keeps flipping between appearing to be 20 years old and 40 years old, sometimes in the same scene.
* The Millenium's 'Battle Bridge' is a two man glass cockpit on top of the armoured bridge (reminiscent of the Yamato's 3rd Bridge), only seems to exist to frame the captains faces against space.
* spoiler[There must either be some deleted scenes or stuff covered in side Manga as there are several plot holes such as where 'Michael' actually is/was and what happened to Blue Cosmos leadership, what Athrun was doing while he was undercover, and why 'mother' looks the way she does.]
* Albert Heinlein - Annoying Spock like bridge character whose job is to recite technobabble and reel off precise answers to mathematical equations.
* Kira gets some Newtype flashes ala Mu/Rau/Ru Flaga, however I didn't like what they did to SEED mode spoiler[now allows both willing and unwilling telepathy between Co-ordinators as well as hypnotic suggestion]
* ZAFT really like spoiler[coups]

Funny you talk about name pronunciations, a few in Japanese version of this film have changed since the original series too!
HudsonVaughan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Thank you so much for the information. Need someone to write your dissertation? then I can feel you because I also find it hard and boring to write. but I found this https://academized.com/buy-dissertation website when I was also in need. It made everything so easy for me to complete the work. If you are also a student who needs help with your work, then you can get help from them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1